Game 17 : Jets @ Stars

Pre-Game notes:

Dallas was not successful against the Central last season and the Jets were a big part in that, taking three of four matchups. Winnipeg has dropped three straight entering this one, and they're hungry for a win.

The Jets:

"We wanted to work at getting a bit more pace back in our game, getting quicker," Jets forward Drew Stafford told the Winnipeg Sun yesterday after an intense practice. "It's something we need to get better at. It's held us back these last three games."

The Stars like pace. They're the highest "event" team in the league at even-strength, after all.

The Jets just want to get back to scoring some goals. They averaged 3.18 per game in October en route to 7-3-1 record but have seen their production dry up of late, managing just 10 in five November games including getting shutout at home by the Philadelphia Flyers.

They're getting shots- 28 in each of their last two and 41 and 34 the two before those, out-possessing their opponents but getting little in the way to show for it in the standings.

Winnipeg would like to get their power play going tonight after going just 1-of-14 of their last five games, and Dallas has been more than hospitable in this area surrendering 9 PP goals in their last 8 contests.

Their lineup:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler

Perreault-Scheifele-Ehlers

Burmistrov-Lowry-Stafford

Thorburn-Cormier-Peluso

Enstrom-Byfuglien

Myers-Trouba

Stuart-Postma

Expected lineup:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler

Perreault - Schiefele - Ehlers

Stafford - Lowry - Thorburn

Burmistrov - Copp - Petan

Enstrom - Byfuglien

Chiarot - Myers

Stuart - Trouba

Pavelec

Yup, Pavelec to start and the changes are as you noted. I like this new 4th line a lot. Maybe, by playing well enough, they can score and get more ice time.

Potential.

Myers was good. I'd say the Jets got jobbed a bit. Lots of iffy calls and non calls for sure. Puck hits the net above the glass... play continues... Toby gets a tripping penalty. Stafford nailed from behind big time and no call... very weak interference call on buff. But.. they did have their chances... 4 minute power play and did nothing.... also had several breakdowns and stars made them pay. Stars aren't as good as their record Says they are... Jets played pretty Damn good in the 2nd and 3rd... outplayed Dallas even just.. couldn't capitalize and the stars did. Gonna say it... if you aren't gonna give petan and Copp more than 5 minutes of Ice time.... they'd be better off with the Moose. Time to seriously look at moving one or both of Ladd and Buff. Team seems just lost.... not even close to the team who made the playoffs last year and no... one player is not the reason for their struggles this year. Freddie Mercury would probably be a big fan of the Jets... as they appear to be the great pretenders

Little Wheeler and Scheif are guys who show up every game. Ehlers is a young kid with tons of potential. Trouba has regressed but still young... Lowry looks like he's skating in quicksand... he's having a sophomore slump for sure but young.... Copp Petan have skills... not being played enough tho. The team has some holes for sure... big ones actually... but always figured one step back this year

Lawless was speculating about Ladd and it bears repeating. He's either hurt or his contract situation is bothering him

I'll also add that Wheeler has continued to get better and little too. Ladd isn't a first liner on a great team. We're weak down the left side.

Ladd is not a first liner on good teams and yes its probably a little of both

looked like some of the defenceman are letting the stars forwards come too far in across the blue line, before engaging them..... like right ten feet from the net

8 (trouba?) had a bad giveaway around the jets net... then seemed unable to do anything to help, just kind of poked around with his stick...

the defence at times looks disorganized, and sometimes not getting to the puck first in their own end, which seems like a pretty bad thing.

for a few minutes it looked like the goalie v. the Stars.

At times this game and the one before, the Jets really peppered the other team's goalie, I know in this game they at one point had far more shots on goal, but still losing, Offence is pretty good I think.

I think expecting players to be interviewed before during and after every game is nuts.

last night.... should have left them alone.

looked like some of the defenceman are letting the stars forwards come too far in across the blue line, before engaging them..... like right ten feet from the net

8 (trouba?) had a bad giveaway around the jets net... then seemed unable to do anything to help, just kind of poked around with his stick...

the defence at times looks disorganized, and sometimes not getting to the puck first in their own end, which seems like a pretty bad thing.

for a few minutes it looked like the goalie v. the Stars.

At times this game and the one before, the Jets really peppered the other team's goalie, I know in this game they at one point had far more shots on goal, but still losing, Offence is pretty good I think.

I think expecting players to be interviewed before during and after every game is nuts.

Most, if not all, NHL teams going through a major funk (i.e., losing streak) thoughout the season. It's the Jets turn.

They'll turn it around, the sooner the better though. 

I believe it was Lowry between Stafford and Thorburn.

Burmi with Petan and Copp.  I heard 4th line was not good.  Thats a young line but Burmi is practically a veteran.  I really think they might need to re-evaluate Petan.  Maybe they see him developing...maybe the plan is to make him a defensively responsible player before unleashing his offensive skills but it has to be tough for a kid to go from a top line player in junior scoring like crazy to playing 5 minutes a game on the 4th line.

If they arent going to play, let it be Thorbun and Peluso with Copp.  Or Cormier.  Hell, even move Copp to the Moose for awhile.

I think the Jets' options for success rely on their young players being good and ofcourse they will have slumps.  We have to be patient but realistically, we're pretty weak on the left side as far as scoring goes.  Might be time to move Stafford up to 2nd line LW and move Perrault to Lowry/Burmi.

I love Ladd but I see Wheeler busting his ass and Little seems to always be making something happen and Ladd just doesnt seem able to keep with with those two guys.  How about Ehlers with Little and Wheeler for a few shifts.

You can't build a team in the NHL near as fast as the CFL so, no, the sky isn't falling.

We are playing a LOT of youngsters, Scheif, Burmi, Lowry, Copp, Petan and Ehlers for instance.

That's about 1/3 of our roster and I am sure the management knew there would be bumps in the road with the young guys.

Better to have them learn now than in the future when we should be contending.

Should we trade Buff and/or Ladd. I honestly don't know. If we got great returns, I would say yes but I think patience is what's needed.

Let's see where we are after the New Year, at least, to see if we should make serious changes.

Obviously, Goalie is right about Burmi or why would Maurice put him on the 3rd line. he should be playing better/smarter for how long he has been in the pros. I don't know how anyone can argue that he doesn't over handle the puck.

How was Pavelec in yesterday's game? I know it is only one game but I didn't think that much of Helle in last night's game. If he had come up with one or two saves when the team needed it, the end result might have been different.

Ladd might be the odd man out.  He wants top line money and franchise term.  I'd be happy if he retires as a Jet but business is business.  We're weak on the left side and have guys now and coming that will be top six anywhere from next season to 3-4 seasons from now so they cant pay Ladd 1LW money for 7 years. 

One could argue he's nearing replaceability with Ehlers now.  You could probably put Perreault in his spot and not see a drop off.  if they value what Buff brings to the table they might present Ladd with a take it or leave it offer and if its leave it, he could be the guy to go sooner rather than later.  The problem is, the teams willing to give up a good package are probably not giving us a top line replacement right now.  Picks & Prospects or something like Buffalo did last season, unloading good players they dont need/want.

I said in the summer that this season could easily be a "one step back" season. 

I thought Thorburn/Lowry/Staff was good. Thorburn/Burmi been some of the better players lately. I know right - the 2 guys we vented about earlier.

I'm tempted to bring Pardy in for a game and sit Trouba.

Peluso, Pardy, Postma, Petan. What's with the P guys? :)

Poor Buff, looks at some guy wrong and gets penalty.

Agreed. I don't know who thought of this lame idea of interviewing players for "insight", but just leave the friggin guys alone when all they really want to do is get their heads back into the game and not worry about answering how that stupid puck went in the net.

As a segment idea, to run on TV, it's weak. They must have stolen the weak idea concept from CFL on TSN, with their lame "interviews during games segments."