Bombers/Als Gameday Non-Chat Room Non-GIF Thread

BigBlue

In Willys defence, he did have a guy in his face a couple times almost immediately, Picard had a tough game i thought and Chungh got owned once or twice too. That Allan Michael Cash guy is money and John Bowman is one of the best. Credit to the ALS d line for sure.

What was i gonna say tho, Oh yeah... I guess, in football all that matters is you win the game, at the end of the day all that matters is you win, you protect the ball, protect the lead and you win, by any means necessary really... Offense, Defense,Special Teams, 3 phases. In a few weeks people won't remember how we won, they will just remember that we won

I guess, look at sask, they are finding ways to lose games so far, the bombers last night, found a way to win. That's what it comes down too really ,finding ways to win. 

Replay:

Bomber online was outmuscled out there by a a tenacious Dline...part of Montreal's strength. Our O-line still looking confused but with 4 new guys playing together...it will take time.

Bear Woods missing from the lineup and this new guy Ellsworth calmly goes in, gets 11 tackles and look like he's been there all year. Envy

Of course their LB crew is not weak with Venable and Cox out there.

Their front four are a scourge - Bowman, Cash, Irvin, Knapton -strong group

Credit them for forcing FGs instead of TDs

How about that Bowman - walks off injured 3 or 4 times, comes back in and makes big plays.

How big was that play to force Cato (who wasn't thinking) out of bounds to stop the clock at the half?

Welcome back Maurice Leggett.

Nick Moore, Kohlert and Denmark gave our offence a chance. Darwin Adams needs to show up - we need total team production.

Crompton gets the bench...The Alouettes have found their QB.

Would you say that that TD call for the Alouettes was just plane.....awful?

twice Willy was sacked when the Bombers were in FG range and both times the sacks took them out of FG range.  Willy has to get rid of the ball in those cases, those sacks cost us an easy six points.

The more I see of Willy the less I am sold on him. He can't read a blitz and his release is so dam slow.

In Willys defence, he did have a guy in his face a couple times almost immediately, Picard had a tough game i thought and Chungh got owned once or twice too. That Allan Michael Cash guy is money and John Bowman is one of the best. Credit to the ALS d line for sure.

What was i gonna say tho, Oh yeah... I guess, in football all that matters is you win the game, at the end of the day all that matters is you win, you protect the ball, protect the lead and you win, by any means necessary really... Offense, Defense,Special Teams, 3 phases. In a few weeks people won't remember how we won, they will just remember that we won

I guess, look at sask, they are finding ways to lose games so far, the bombers last night, found a way to win. That's what it comes down too really ,finding ways to win. 

On one play Cash or one of the other Montreal D men just bowled Greaves right over.  The Montreal D-line is just awesome.

MOS was saying in the post game show that this D will absolutely come together in time. Still just working things out but he all but guaranteed that they'd get better as the season goes along...

Replay:

Bomber online was outmuscled out there by a a tenacious Dline...part of Montreal's strength. Our O-line still looking confused but with 4 new guys playing together...it will take time.

Bear Woods missing from the lineup and this new guy Ellsworth calmly goes in, gets 11 tackles and look like he's been there all year. Envy

How about that Bowman - walks off injured 3 or 4 times, comes back in and makes big plays.

How big was that play to force Cato (who wasn't thinking) out of bounds to stop the clock at the half?

Nick Moore, Kohlert and Denmark gave our offence a chance. Darwin Adams needs to show up - we need total team production.

twice Willy was sacked when the Bombers were in FG range and both times the sacks took them out of FG range.  Willy has to get rid of the ball in those cases, those sacks cost us an easy six points.

The more I see of Willy the less I am sold on him. He can't read a blitz and his release is so dam slow.

I'm more worried about Picard making the line calls.  After 3 games I see no upside to having him in there, the amount of guys coming through the inside gaps untouched is embarrassing.  Picard can't block anybody so if he can't at least get the protections right he's doing nothing for us that Goossen couldn't do.

I don't fault Willy for not throwing a pass when he can't even get his eyes upfield before he's being tackled.  Rather take the loss of yards than have the ball going back the other way, even if it takes us out of FG range.

Replay:

I'm more worried about Picard making the line calls.  After 3 games I see no upside to having him in there, the amount of guys coming through the inside gaps untouched is embarrassing.  Picard can't block anybody so if he can't at least get the protections right he's doing nothing for us that Goossen couldn't do.

I don't fault Willy for not throwing a pass when he can't even get his eyes upfield before he's being tackled.  Rather take the loss of yards than have the ball going back the other way, even if it takes us out of FG range.

Yea I dunno if it just takes a bit for Picard to gell with Chungh and Greaves but the interior is getting mauled. I'm impressed that willy hasn't been sacked more already, tbh. Picard getting flagged for holding might become even more common place then before..

Yea I dunno if it just takes a bit for Picard to gell with Chungh and Greaves but the interior is getting mauled. I'm impressed that willy hasn't been sacked more already, tbh. Picard getting flagged for holding might become even more common place then before..

Willy has to make a permanent habit of getting the ball away quickly, I believe that's the only way he is going to remain healthy.  He needs to sit down and study film on Ricky Ray and Kevin Glenn and transform his QB skills to match the reality of the CFL game.

Replay:

It's way too easy to just blame Picard.

It may be as simple as the center identifying the middle linebacker so the entire line knows that player must be included as part of their pass protection, or it can be as complex as changing the entire blocking scheme on one side of the line at the point of attack. In any case all the other players need to be smart enough to pick up and execute the new blocking assignments. What I have been seeing is confusion across the line and in the backfield with the both the QB and RB in terms of identifying where the pressure is coming from and either have the RB step up or the QB roll away from it.

Replay:

It may be as simple as the center identifying the middle linebacker so the entire line knows that player must be included as part of their pass protection, or it can be as complex as changing the entire blocking scheme on one side of the line at the point of attack. In any case all the other players need to be smart enough to pick up and execute the new blocking assignments. What I have been seeing is confusion across the line and in the backfield with the both the QB and RB in terms of identifying where the pressure is coming from and either have the RB step up or the QB roll away from it.

AKA: better coaching

Replay:

Picard is the guy calling the OL protections, and those inside gaps which are generally giving them the most problems are the responsibility of the interior OL.  I can guarantee you they aren't drawing up protections where the interior OL chase after a blitzing LB and let a DT run free through an inside gap for Paris Cotton or Feoli-Gudino to block.  That's a major breakdown and a mistake in Picard's call.  My assumption is that Picard is making too many assumptions in terms of setting the strength of the defense at the line of scrimmage when they are stacking rushers and lining up 6 or 7 across the line.  In those cases they need to stay in a base protection and block from the inside out, the extra blockers taking outside gaps/extra rushers who come through the outside gaps if they send extra (not DT's).

Greaves and Picard are a major achilles heel for our offence.  Will be interesting to see if Neufeld gets a shot at left guard when he's healthy, Greaves has been that bad pass and run blocking.

Willy has to make a permanent habit of getting the ball away quickly, I believe that's the only way he is going to remain healthy.  He needs to sit down and study film on Ricky Ray and Kevin Glenn and transform his QB skills to match the reality of the CFL game.

It's not going to be the reality of the CFL game if everyone is playing zone coverage on every down.

Replay:

Picard is the guy calling the OL protections, and those inside gaps which are generally giving them the most problems are the responsibility of the interior OL.  I can guarantee you they aren't drawing up protections where the interior OL chase after a blitzing LB and let a DT run free through an inside gap for Paris Cotton or Feoli-Gudino to block.  That's a major breakdown and a mistake in Picard's call.  My assumption is that Picard is making too many assumptions in terms of setting the strength of the defense at the line of scrimmage when they are stacking rushers and lining up 6 or 7 across the line.  In those cases they need to stay in a base protection and block from the inside out, the extra blockers taking outside gaps/extra rushers who come through the outside gaps if they send extra (not DT's).

Greaves and Picard are a major achilles heel for our offence.  Will be interesting to see if Neufeld gets a shot at left guard when he's healthy, Greaves has been that bad pass and run blocking.

Greaves being terrible has nothing to do with Picard calling out the protections for the front 4 and MLB'er. If they are sending more than 5 then it is up to the QB to recognize it and get rid of the ball quickly or roll away from the pressure.

Replay:

twice Willy was sacked when the Bombers were in FG range and both times the sacks took them out of FG range. Willy has to get rid of the ball in those cases, those sacks cost us an easy six points.

I'm more worried about Picard making the line calls. After 3 games I see no upside to having him in there, the amount of guys coming through the inside gaps untouched is embarrassing. Picard can't block anybody so if he can't at least get the protections right he's doing nothing for us that Goossen couldn't do.

I don't fault Willy for not throwing a pass when he can't even get his eyes upfield before he's being tackled. Rather take the loss of yards than have the ball going back the other way, even if it takes us out of FG range.

Picard is the guy calling the OL protections, and those inside gaps which are generally giving them the most problems are the responsibility of the interior OL. I can guarantee you they aren't drawing up protections where the interior OL chase after a blitzing LB and let a DT run free through an inside gap for Paris Cotton or Feoli-Gudino to block. That's a major breakdown and a mistake in Picard's call. My assumption is that Picard is making too many assumptions in terms of setting the strength of the defense at the line of scrimmage when they are stacking rushers and lining up 6 or 7 across the line. In those cases they need to stay in a base protection and block from the inside out, the extra blockers taking outside gaps/extra rushers who come through the outside gaps if they send extra (not DT's).

Greaves and Picard are a major achilles heel for our offence. Will be interesting to see if Neufeld gets a shot at left guard when he's healthy, Greaves has been that bad pass and run blocking.

Greaves being terrible has nothing to do with Picard calling out the protections for the front 4 and MLB'er. If they are sending more than 5 then it is up to the QB to recognize it and get rid of the ball quickly or roll away from the pressure.

Willy is responsible to read the extra guys, and he did a good job of that on Friday. Untouched DT's is horrendous OL play, basically anyone coming through an inside gap untouched right off the snap is bad OL play. That's where the pressure was coming from against Hamilton and Montreal. They need to simplify until they get the basics right to a point where teams are worried more about their coverage than how they can kill our OL by blitzing. Personally I still don't believe they have the players to get to that point this season.