Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

There is a new Predator film being worked on though:

This new THE PREDATOR film being written by Shane Black is something else. It was in the stage where I couldn't tell if it was going to be absolute garbage, or absolute fun. Then the official Facebook page releases the first image of the film's main focus (the Predator, if you couldn't tell), and I think I may know just what type of ride I'm in for.

Latino Review has some "inside info" on Batman v Superman advanced screenings.  Apparently they arent scoring like the studio had hoped.  They go on to say Batman is the highlight of the movie and if the film doesnt make a ton of money it might impact Justice League and Zack Snyder.

Personally, I HATED Man of Steel.  I thought Snyder played it all wrong.  And they should have brought Superman into the Batman universe, not the other way around...

I read the same thing TUP.  Personally I didn't HATE Man of Steel, but there was a lot I didn't like about it.  He got the cast right, but some of the story (plot holes),  the WAY too long fight scene in Metropolis, and Krypton were bad for me.  Same with the editing.  I'm not a fan of the back and forth thing either (present, past, present, past, etc...).  Snyder is not a good story teller.  That being said, I love the cast, I love most of the suits they're wearing (Superman could use a belt but that's it).  I can even forgive the brooding Superman as long as he becomes more brimming with hope in the future movies.  I mean, you find out you have all this power and no one else is like you...I get the brooding part, but he needs to get over that and become a larger symbol of hope.

I hope BvS is amazing, but we'll see.  I really don't get why they placed all of their cards into one basket in Snyder.  He's just not the right guy for this.

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

I read the same thing TUP.  Personally I didn't HATE Man of Steel, but there was a lot I didn't like about it.  He got the cast right, but some of the story (plot holes),  the WAY too long fight scene in Metropolis, and Krypton were bad for me.  Same with the editing.  I'm not a fan of the back and forth thing either (present, past, present, past, etc...).  Snyder is not a good story teller.  That being said, I love the cast, I love most of the suits they're wearing (Superman could use a belt but that's it).  I can even forgive the brooding Superman as long as he becomes more brimming with hope in the future movies.  I mean, you find out you have all this power and no one else is like you...I get the brooding part, but he needs to get over that and become a larger symbol of hope.

I hope BvS is amazing, but we'll see.  I really don't get why they placed all of their cards into one basket in Snyder.  He's just not the right guy for this.

Well said.  I wanted to love Man of Steel so much.  I begged my buddy to see it.  He wanted to see some comedy (This Is The End, I think) so I convinced him to make it a double header with me.  Literally seconds into MOS, I leaned into him and said "Uh oh, they screwed it up".  I knew from the moment Jor El mounted some CGI flying creature on some goofy CGI Krypton world.  Ugh. 

I agree with much of what you wrote.  I didnt mind the actors.  I loved Michael Shannon, just not how they altered Zod.  Cavil is ok.  Superman is hard to write because he's so powerful.

The way I heard it, Snyder was given an opportunity to do a MOS sequel and it wasnt until the last second they decided to put Batman in it and launch the Justice League.  So they sort of had to go with whomever they had on deck.  I would guess if Nolan wanted the job of DC guru, he could have got it.  And perhaps we'd have Superman coming into the Christian Bale Batman world.

I loved Watchmen and wish Snyder had kept some of his sensibilities with that film for MOS.  The slow motion, bone breaking fight scenes, a sort of hyper realism, I liked.  The video game-esque fight scenes in MOS took the viewer out of it.  It didnt seem real and we couldnt see what was happening so the death, destruction and brutality didnt matter.  Anyone who watched Christopher Reeves Superman probably wondered why this Superman didnt do the same thing, the logical thing - when he saw civilians in danger, he lured Zod away.

I love DC.  Im just worried about it.  Marvel is all about team ups.  X-men.  Avengers.  Its team up characters that also do solo adventures.  DC is solo characters that also did team ups.  Batman is a dark, brooding loner.  Seeing him with Superman and Flash and Green Lantern might be jarring...  And as much as Affleck is reportedly the best part of the film and as much as I actually like him, whenever I see him as Bruce Wayne, I see BEN AFFLECK, not Bruce Wayne, not in the same way Christian Bale WAS Bruce Wayne.  If that makes sense. 

i dont think Nolan is a guru for DC, i personally found batman begins and dark knight rises kinda meh. better then the goofy previous incarnations of batman, but really other then Heath Ledgers epic portrayal of the Joker in the dark knight, i could take or leave that dark knight trilogy. The only plus side to Nolan's movies was it was based off the Dark Knight version of batman so he was darker and more ruthless on criminals, which obviously paves the way for this Superman Vs Batman dust up.

The reason why I think many DC movies flop is they take themselves too seriously, where as Marvel movies are a nice mix of action and comedy that can poke fun of itself without ruining what its trying to accomplish. Then again Ive always been a Marvel fan over DC so maybe im just biased

I'm not a Nolan fan either.  Although Batman Begins to me was one of the best origin stories and is still my favorite.  I wasn't a big fan of the 2 other Batman movies that followed.  Heath Ledger was ok to me, but I didn't think he made a great "Joker".  His portrayal was great, but what he portrayed to me wasn't really "the Joker" that I know.  But that's just me.  I thought the best part of The Dark Knight was Two-Face.  He freaked me out especially at the end with Gordon's kid.  I really was wondering if they'd actually kill the kid.  He did a great job of playing Two-Face.

But yeah, I agree with you, they need a touch of humor in the DC verse.  People don't go around in real life being mad at everything all the time.

I loved the Nolan Batman films.  Dark Knight is an all time classic and I loved Heath Ledger's more realistic Joker.  I've read a backstory for him where he was actually a US soldier who returned from the Middle East.  Interesting...  DKR wasnt as good but it was still pretty good.  I was worried about Ann Hathaway but I love her Catwoman.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Dark Knight Rises is massively underrated because TDK was so unbelievably good, that everything after would pale in comparison. But make no mistake, DKR was great. I'm a huge Joseph Gordon-Levitt fanboi, and thought he was fantastic.

I thought it was okay. It's pretty much repeating the storyline from BB with the bad guys wanting to destroy the city but like you said, TDK was uber good.

hearing on cjob a second ago, cuz of deadpools success there might be a slew of R rated super hero movies, like xmen,   a 3rd solo wolverine...ect  I hope not tbh.  there's very few movies "comic book movies" that could succeed in R rated $ wise, but it has to be the darker characters,  Punisher, Spawn, Daredevil,  even Batman but Xmen i think they'd find disappointment.  kids make movies like spiderman, and the avengers over the top box office successes imo

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

ive only seen half of deadpool so ill have to opt it out of my list, but i wouldnt put any xmen movies in the top 10, although I liked the first Xmen Origins movie, not so much the 2nd wolverine movie in japan. First class was alright too.  I think days of future past could have been a lot better if they spent more time in the future and less on the past showing the war between mutants and sentiels

I liked Days of Future Past because the concept was interesting and the fact they took two X-Men films series' that originally werent meant to be connected and connected them!  Neat idea.  In a similar vein, I've argued with Star Trek writer Bob Orci about, well many things, but I've maintained that his Sequel/Prequel idea for the first Trek film was brilliant (just horrible execution).  I like these time twisting concepts...

12 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

lol i did like xmen origins: wolverine.  i thought the story of wolverine and sabertooth growing up thru the eras as they did was a nice touch.  theres aspects of it i didnt like but all n all i thought it was far better then the wolverine (with him in japan)

I didn't mind the movie like others did....except for the ending which was pure garbage.  The way they treated Deadpool was terrible.  And the whole "adamantium bullet to the brain erases your memories" was....stupid.  They could have at least said the bullet contained some kind of serum that wipes memories or something.

And in the comics Sabertooth and Wolverine are not brothers.  But I don't mind that change.

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I liked Days of Future Past because the concept was interesting and the fact they took two X-Men films series' that originally werent meant to be connected and connected them!  Neat idea.  In a similar vein, I've argued with Star Trek writer Bob Orci about, well many things, but I've maintained that his Sequel/Prequel idea for the first Trek film was brilliant (just horrible execution).  I like these time twisting concepts...

Agreed.  The idea was good, it was just the story and execution of it all that made no sense.  WAY too many plot holes.

- Why they stuck around for 25 years and knew that Spock was going to appear at a certain spot...what?!?!?

- How they're mining vessel (or whatever it was) had all those weapons.

- Kirk's jump from cadet to Captain...seriously wtf??!!

- The relationship between Spock and Uhura.  I could believe this if, in the original series there was some kind of clue that they were interested in each other, but they never like that.  Uhura had more of a bond with Scotty.  Now if they had made that happen that would make more sense.

- etc...

I still didn't like Pine but that's just me.  Shatner just had this presence about him that you rarely see in others.