The Star Trek Thread!

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Saw the finale.  It was really good.  Plenty of spoiler material so whats the timeframe before we can discuss lol

It aired so...

The king is dead. Long live our synthetic king. Personally I would have just left him as is but now he can die twice like Data! Speaking of Data...this might start another shortage on kleenix. This was really well done.

Who thinks Narissa is dead? She had lots of time to activate another transporter 

I'm surprised Soong joined the others so quickly. He kinda seemed like someone whose not a big fan of humanity.

When did Jurati have time to read the helmsman manual and excel at the test?

What happened to Narek? I never saw him again after he was taken away?

It was okay. Was not a huge fan of the show least the finale not boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Picard gets a 6/10 for me. By which I mean I enjoyed it but I definitely didn't love it. Storyline was okay but drifts too far from the original feel of the utopian society and the relatively moral federation. I understand it's a different time now and the old TNG style wouldn't have worked but they strayed a little too far for me and also seemed to suffer from trying to cram too much content into too short of a time period which resulted in poor character development and interactions. Overall though I still welcome the return of Picard and the others from the TNG-Voyager era. Hoping we get a stronger plot and appearances from a few more fan favourites (glad they restrained from cramming ALL old characters into season one) if and when the second season drops.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Picard gets a 6/10 for me. By which I mean I enjoyed it but I definitely didn't love it. Storyline was okay but drifts too far from the original feel of the utopian society and the relatively moral federation. I understand it's a different time now and the old TNG style wouldn't have worked but they strayed a little too far for me and also seemed to suffer from trying to cram too much content into too short of a time period which resulted in poor character development and interactions. Overall though I still welcome the return of Picard and the others from the TNG-Voyager era. Hoping we get a stronger plot and appearances from a few more fan favourites (glad they restrained from cramming ALL old characters into season one) if and when the second season drops.

I put Picard below Disco season 1. That's how much i disliked it.

There is the common complaint: Ten episodes with too much story to tell.  Character development at a minimum. Other than Picard, we know little, if nothing about each character or really why they are there in the first place. I've always maintained a 22 episode season allows a lot more freedom to tell a story. And to slow down the pace or speed it up as  required. Also, not a fan of one storyline the entire series.

So now, the storyline next season will be an 82 year old Commander with a neurotic Captain who wishes Picard was his father. The crew is a former Borg with trust issues who killed without regrets but suddenly may have a few now. A drug addicted & alcoholic second officer/pilot, an unstable assistant who killed her mentor & a Romulan Samurai who has no idea why he's there & neither does the audience. And off into the universe they go. Are they know the 23rd century's version of Robin Hood & his band of Merry Men (& Women)? 

28 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There is the common complaint: Ten episodes with too much story to tell.  Character development at a minimum. Other than Picard, we know little, if nothing about each character or really why they are there in the first place. I've always maintained a 22 episode season allows a lot more freedom to tell a story. And to slow down the pace or speed it up as  required. Also, not a fan of one storyline the entire series.

So now, the storyline next season will be an 82 year old Commander with a neurotic Captain who wishes Picard was his father. The crew is a former Borg with trust issues who killed without regrets but suddenly may have a few now. A drug addicted & alcoholic second officer/pilot, an unstable assistant who killed her mentor & a Romulan Samurai who has no idea why he's there & neither does the audience. And off into the universe they go. Are they know the 23rd century's version of Robin Hood & his band of Merry Men (& Women)? 

It doesnt matter how you feel about a 22 episode season, its never going to happen.  

WHo's the 82 year old Commander??  

I disagree that there wasnt character development or that we didnt learn about the crew.  I thought they did a very good job of adding layers to each of them.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It doesnt matter how you feel about a 22 episode season, its never going to happen.  

WHo's the 82 year old Commander??  

I disagree that there wasnt character development or that we didnt learn about the crew.  I thought they did a very good job of adding layers to each of them.

To me, there wasn't much development & what there was seemed rushed. I don't think Picard was that bad actually. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, iHeart said:

Worst kept secret in trekdom. But great news.  Although it confuses me since the talking points were how disco had to move into the future to be free of canon. And now they’re doing a show that is steeped in canon where we know what happens to two of the main characters

12 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Worst kept secret in trekdom. But great news.  Although it confuses me since the talking points were how disco had to move into the future to be free of canon. And now they’re doing a show that is steeped in canon where we know what happens to two of the main characters

Coming soon....,,... soon..... soon.... soon.... soon...See the source image

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

My isolation binge was Enterprise, now The Good Place.

I've always liked Enterprise. I think it gets a bad rap. It was criticized for the Temporal Time War & Xindi season arcs at the time. But Discovery & Picard are doing the same thing today & are celebrated for it. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've always liked Enterprise. I think it gets a bad rap. It was criticized for the Temporal Time War & Xindi season arcs at the time. But Discovery & Picard are doing the same thing today & are celebrated for it. 

Enterprise has a great premise.  And they tried. But the network wanted them on a ship in space from day one.  Originally they were not going to launch the ship until the end of the first season.  

They quickly got away from showing less advanced tech and just did everything every other series did.  

the serialized stories were just boring. Hated the xindi arc.  Liked the last season when they broke it down into smaller arcs and started trying to be a real prequel.  

In terms of serialized story telling DS9 did it best and disco and Picard could still learn from how that show did it.  Best trek series of all time.  Best writing, best acting. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Enterprise has a great premise.  And they tried. But the network wanted them on a ship in space from day one.  Originally they were not going to launch the ship until the end of the first season.  

They quickly got away from showing less advanced tech and just did everything every other series did.  

the serialized stories were just boring. Hated the xindi arc.  Liked the last season when they broke it down into smaller arcs and started trying to be a real prequel.  

In terms of serialized story telling DS9 did it best and disco and Picard could still learn from how that show did it.  Best trek series of all time.  Best writing, best acting. 

Agree. DS9 was the best. The only thing I didn't like about that series was making Sisco one of the prophets. I believe in God myself but I don't go to church. For me, there was too much religion in that show almost to it's detriment. I'd have also liked Dukat to have had a better final ending. Like becoming an ally of Sisko,  The way they were in the introduction of the Maquis when they worked together. They didn't like one another but begrudgingly respected the other. I wish that would have been built upon. I saw that as a lost opportunity to really make the show go in a  different direction. 

Back to Enterprise... I liked the Xindi Arc better than the Temporal Cold War. I don't think those arcs were boring at all. I think if they waited a year to get Enterprise into space the series would have been cancelled after a single season.  My premise is why go exploring into The Great Unknown with just one ship & no idea who or what is out there? Build up your defenses of Earth first & then when you have a fleet of say 5 or 6 ships then start your exploration.  They should have had Trip & T'Pol get married.  Serving ten years together after what they went through losing a baby & then shrugging it off by just becoming work colleagues after that  in the final episode & then killing Trip off was a travesty. As was making the final episode a hologram for Ryker to study. I think not bringing T'Pol & Trip together in marriage & the whole final episode being a hologram was a final **** You by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga  to fans who hated the show. 

Connor Trinnear said that Scott Bakula was furious with the ending but he never let his anger get in the way of filming that final episode. Trinnear also said that when the cast found out how the series ended they were all in shock. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Agree. DS9 was the best. The only thing I didn't like about that series was making Sisco one of the prophets. I believe in God myself but I don't go to church. For me, there was too much religion in that show almost to it's detriment. I'd have also liked Dukat to have had a better final ending. Like becoming an ally of Sisko,  The way they were in the introduction of the Maquis when they worked together. They didn't like one another but begrudgingly respected the other. I wish that would have been built upon. I saw that as a lost opportunity to really make the show go in a  different direction. 

Back to Enterprise... I liked the Xindi Arc better than the Temporal Cold War. I don't think those arcs were boring at all. I think if they waited a year to get Enterprise into space the series would have been cancelled after a single season.  My premise is why go exploring into The Great Unknown with just one ship & no idea who or what is out there? Build up your defenses of Earth first & then when you have a fleet of say 5 or 6 ships then start your exploration.  They should have had Trip & T'Pol get married.  Serving ten years together after what they went through losing a baby & then shrugging it off by just becoming work colleagues after that  in the final episode & then killing Trip off was a travesty. As was making the final episode a hologram for Ryker to study. I think not bringing T'Pol & Trip together in marriage & the whole final episode being a hologram was a final **** You by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga  to fans who hated the show. 

Connor Trinnear said that Scott Bakula was furious with the ending but he never let his anger get in the way of filming that final episode. Trinnear also said that when the cast found out how the series ended they were all in shock. 

That would never fly- Klingons get frisky only every few years and Trip would probably not hang around waiting for that. And when she experienced pon farr, it would likely kill him anyways.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That would never fly- Klingons get frisky only every few years and Trip would probably not hang around waiting for that. And when she experienced pon farr, it would likely kill him anyways.

I think the Pon Farr only happens to single Vulcans who haven't mated.  Besides, according to Star Trek cannon, Spock was half human. His mother was human & had a long marriage to his father Sarek.  See the source image

Edited by SpeedFlex27

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think the Pon Farr only happens to single Vulcans who haven't mated.  Besides, according to Star Trek cannon, Spock was half human. His mother was human & had a long marriage to his father Sarek. 

And you might notice that she's not around any more.....