The Star Trek Thread!

38 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

"Number One" is the daughter of Trip and T'pol from Enterprise.  Fuller said she's human but her rank comes with caveats.  There is speculation Section 31 could be involved.  On Enterprise, their daughter died.  But Section 31 was involved in Enterprise and in the post series' books, Trips death was retconned to be a ruse by Section 31 (non-canon).  So Im saying the first hybrid was so important that Section 31 faked the death and recruited her, altered her physical appearance to look only human.  She retains Vulcan attributes like long life, intelligence, etc.  Thats how she could be 60 but look 30.

If her name is revealed to be Elizabeth Tucker, I was right.  Crazy, I know.  lol  But Fuller did say they "loved" thje character of Amanda Grayson (Spock's human mother), what better way to use her then some sort of mentor or adviser to someone struggling with their Vulcan/human conflict, much like Amanda's son.

That could be interesting.  Would she still be called Elizabeth Tucker though if Section 31 was trying to keep her secret?

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

All the old shows are on Netflix right now. TOS, Animated TOS, TNG, DS9 Voyager. Hoping they are prepping for showing the new series or something.

As well, Voyager is on Space.

Tried re-watching Enterprise, but god it was awful from the get go.

I think they are all on Netflix (not sure if TAS is).  They are finally releasing TAS on Blue Ray actually.  There is a 50th anni collection that includes everything TOS related.

Enterprise was the result of a tired, worn out group of Voyager people who ran out of ideas.  Great premise.  Horrible execution.  Rather poor casting too.  Bakula is awesome but he was terribly mis-cast on Enterprise.  Trip, T'Pol and Reed were decent.  I guess Phlox was okay too.  So...maybe not that bad of casting

Kinda liked everyone on ST:E though the Phlox character's race should not have been on the show. Nit picking.

Would have preferred a more simplistic show not ones where the transporter, holodeck, temporal police make appearances.

Season 3/4 were really good. Sort of a view of whats to come with single/multiple story arcs.

I'm just about done rewatching Enterprise.  The last season is actually decent compared to the rest.  Finally getting interesting.  I liked all the characters except Reed and Trip actually.  Although Trip started to grow on me.  The whole temporal story line was just annoying as hell.  Enough with the time travel ****.  This show could have been so much better and they just wrecked it.

9 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I'm just about done rewatching Enterprise.  The last season is actually decent compared to the rest.  Finally getting interesting.  I liked all the characters except Reed and Trip actually.  Although Trip started to grow on me.  The whole temporal story line was just annoying as hell.  Enough with the time travel ****.  This show could have been so much better and they just wrecked it.

I actually liked Enterprise a lot more than Voyager with the stupid ending after 7 seasons. And Janeway was always too preachy for me considering it was her who stranded the 2 crews in the Delta Quadrant. You'd think after 7 seasons with that woman in charge the crew of Voyager would have mutineed & replaced her with Chakotay.

Archer is an inexperienced galactic Captain flying around the the Universe for the first with a huge chip on his shoulder trying to prove to the Vulcans that humans were worthy of space travel. Soon to find out his ship is actually underpowered, with insufficient defensive capabilities & woefully inept at engaging other alien races in battle. The ongoing temporal wars got a little long in the tooth but the writing during the last 2 seasons were the best but by then they pulled the plug on the series.

Edited by iso_55

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So, rolling out the premiere in May just in time for summer when people are on holidays or too busy doing other things to watch, 13 episodes instead of 22, a female lead hopefully not like Janeway... on a secondary network & not on the main CBS network. Yeah, CBS sure takes their ST responsibility seriously. Why do I sense a disaster in the making?

Edited by iso_55

6 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

13/season was what I've always heard.

Half a commitment as far as I'm concerned. Why not go next September then instead of May full out on CBS with 22-26 episodes? Get it right the first time. If there's a rabid following like CBS contends this series will be a hit.

Edited by iso_55

6 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Half a commitment as far as I'm concerned. Why not go next September then instead of May full out on CBS with 22-26 episodes? Get it right the first time. If there's a rabid following like CBS contends this series will be a hit.

Is Game of Thrones half a commitment?  Was the Sopranos half a commitment?  This is the new way of doing quality TV, especially in this format (streaming).  It was always going to be this way.

As for why they dont run the full CBS network, I suppose if you want it cancelled really quickly, then that would be something to hope for.  Network's are terrible for giving up on shows too soon.  The pressure on Star Trek to perform would be huge.  And realistically, Trek is something that would appeal to a niche audience.  Its still a worthy and valuable network but they would need to hit a certain rating to take up space on CBS.  Its way better what they are doing.

The show has already turned a profit for CBS based on international deals.  There is no threat of it being cancelled immediately.  In the streaming world, its all about driving subs.  This is for the best.

Pushing back to May is also a good idea.  January was too soon.  Too much pressure.  HBO has shows that debut in spring/summer.  People still watch TV.  The benefit to streaming is that those people can watch it whenever they want.  So people going to the cottage or whatever, can watch it at the lake when the kids are in bed, or watch it when they get home, or stream it in the car.  Whatever.

9 hours ago, iso_55 said:

There is a huge amount of people who prefer this than 22 episodes.  I've also read a lot of people say they'd actually prefer a 10 episode season instead of 13.

8 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

There is a huge amount of people who prefer this than 22 episodes.  I've also read a lot of people say they'd actually prefer a 10 episode season instead of 13.

Yeah, I think a lot of people who love 52 episodes per year of a great show.  But obviously that cant happen.  The 10-13 episode shows are becoming the norm for the HBO-style high quality programs.  Its easier production, allows for attracting better actors and crew.  And for Streaming (and HBO) purposes, obviously its a more efficient use of money.

We all want more of a good thing.  But the balance makes sense. 

On 9/9/2016 at 10:08 AM, Atomic said:

I loved her and I loved Voyager!  Worst captain was easily Scott Bakula!  lol

Bakula's character wasn't the worst. he was an inexperienced explorer. No book was written in his time as to how situations should be handled. Janeway was an experienced Starship Captain who preached the Prime Directive every week & broke it every week. She was an awful character & Captain. It's a wonder her crew never killed her.