The Star Trek Thread!

42 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

That's a pretty positive interview.  I always worry that people some in and want to change Star Trek so much.  Im a traditionalist in some sense but I have no issue with (in fact want them to) modernize things like sets and SFX.  For example, I dont mind the look of the new movie Enterprise except its gigantic for no relevant reason.  So to me its like, dont make changes just for the sake of change.

Dont make a new Starfleet star ship that looks like a plate glass window just because you can "change" things.  If I was the studio hiring, I'd want to know that my [producer and showrunner loves Trek, respects Trek and wants to take Star Trek and make it better from a storytelling perspective not what JJ did which was "The biggest problem with Star Trek is that it's Star Trek".  If you feel that way, go make a show called Space Trip and you can originate any ideas or designs you want.  Star Trek should be Star Trek.

So Fuller is saying the right things.  I just hope its relateable and recognizable as Star Trek.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting development:

Netflix and CBS Studios International today announced a landmark international licensing agreement for the new STAR TREK television series. Netflix will be the exclusive premiere home of STAR TREK in 188 countries (excluding the US and Canada). Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere. Additionally, all 727 existing episodes of the iconic STAR TREK television library – including "Star Trek: The Original Series," "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Star Trek: Enterprise" will be available on Netflix around the world by the end of 2016  - Latino Review

Since this excludes Canada, one would assume this confirms they have a terrestrial channel provider to air the show here.  What's interesting is that one of the things that pushed CBS to develop a new series was Netflix' interest in doing the same.  Netflix liked the large interest in Star Trek on their platform and spoke with CBS about developing a new series.  CBS, in turn, decided to do it themselves and pull their catalog from Netflix to move it exclusively to the CBS Streaming platform.  So this is a partial reversal of that. 

From StarTrek.com:

The Bell Media rollout for the new Star Trek series in Canada will mirror the launch in the United States. The first episode will premiere on Canada’s most-watched broadcast network, CTV, on the same night as CBS. All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media’s cable networks, Space (in English) and Z (in French), and then later exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service. The Star Trek television library will return to Space (in English) and debut on Cinépop (in French), and will also be found among CraveTV’s leading lineup of premium television series.

http://www.startrek.com/article/international-broadcasters-set-for-new-star-trek-series#sthash.RKWU7tWu.dpuf

Really not a fan of all these separate streaming services.  Netflix, Shomi, Crave TV, I'm not going to pay for all of them.

Already have Netflix and a fan of a lot of their original content. so I'm not going to get Shomi and / or Crave.  Also, Netflix is unaffiliated with a network, so they are more likely to get content from a wider range of sources.

VERY unhappy to hear the plan is to move this to Crave exclusively.  Not cool.  Unless the series is "cant miss", people will wait for the season to be finished and watch it on Netflix or get Crave and binge it.  Annoyed. 

Makes more sense to make licensing deals with established streaming services like Netflix.  Cant see how all these various services will ever make enough to make it worth it.  Its one thing for a steaming service to be a companion to a network station, like HBO GO, but to HAVE to get the service in order to see a program?  Dont like it.

In time, everything will be delivered Over The Top so I guess this is the wave of the future.  But seems like an inconvenience to me.  But presumeably Bell is paying CBS a lot of money.  Rogers did the same with WWE Network where they paid so much for the rights, WWE couldnt say no.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

VERY unhappy to hear the plan is to move this to Crave exclusively. 

The article said "All remaining episodes will initially be televised on Bell Media’s cable networks, Space..." It will be on Space and repeated on Crave.

Edited by Jacquie

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Really not a fan of all these separate streaming services.  Netflix, Shomi, Crave TV, I'm not going to pay for all of them.

Already have Netflix and a fan of a lot of their original content. so I'm not going to get Shomi and / or Crave.  Also, Netflix is unaffiliated with a network, so they are more likely to get content from a wider range of sources.

Agreed, I only have Netflix.  And unless I see something amazing about another streaming service, I won't be getting anything else.

The cgi looked home made and apparently the ship design is not final. I imagine the blowback will result in changes. 

Suddenly im very worried as no one with any sense could come up with that. That design is actually an early design for a new enterprise when the first film was in planning stages. 

Appreviation os STD?  Someone is an idiot.  Fire Fuller. 

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

The CGI isn't finished, but the ship looks like crap.  The saucer looks good but the rest looks like it has some kind of Klingon bird of prey influence.

There are rumours that the plot involves a co-branded mission between federation and Klingons where he ship is half of each. I don't believe that because that's incredibly stupid. They just used a design that was rejected in the 70's. But hopefully the backlash causes them to rethink it. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There are rumours that the plot involves a co-branded mission between federation and Klingons where he ship is half of each. I don't believe that because that's incredibly stupid. They just used a design that was rejected in the 70's. But hopefully the backlash causes them to rethink it. 

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-discovery-ship-design-based-cancelled-time-travel-movie-concept-art-547755

12 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Exactly.  The Klingons and Federation have never done anything together that early in canon.  Plus it's called the USS Discovery.  What Klingon cares about discovering anything?

Also if they did a co-program you wouldn't take a federation saucer section and stitch it to a Klingon drive section. That's fundamentally stupid. 

Im a bit concerned they are not releasing any information. Makes me think they are behind schedule if they aren't sure of thinks like premise and characters. Releasing that video was a terrible mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

i wonder how man seasons of every variation of star trek there has been. Ill bet its more then the simpsons has seasons. I wonder what more they could do? Im rewatching some of the kinda old stuff atm. Grew up on it pretty good stuff. Never watched the new movies or the last series with the guy from quantum leap/major league back to the minors. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

i wonder how man seasons of every variation of star trek there has been. Ill bet its more then the simpsons has seasons. I wonder what more they could do? Im rewatching some of the kinda old stuff atm. Grew up on it pretty good stuff. Never watched the new movies or the last series with the guy from quantum leap/major league back to the minors. 

Star Trek: TOS 3 seasons of around 26 episodes each (79)

ST: TNG: 7 seasons of around 25 episodes each (178)

ST: DS9: 7 seasons of around 25 episodes each (176)

ST: Voyager: 7 seasons at 24 episodes each (172)

ST Enterprise: 4 seasons at 23 episodes each. (98)

2 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Star Trek: TOS 3 seasons of around 26 episodes each (79)

ST: TNG: 7 seasons of around 25 episodes each (178)

ST: DS9: 7 seasons of around 25 episodes each (176)

ST: Voyager: 7 seasons at 24 episodes each (172)

ST Enterprise: 4 seasons at 23 episodes each. (98)

Do we throw in the animated series too?