The Star Trek Thread!

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

You can if you want to. It's not a network series in Prime Time like the others.

Though technically TNG was not on a network and may not have been in prime time.

It does have an amazing episode about young Spock which they borrowed for 2009.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

The Animated Series is weird.  Some fans consider it canon but I dont think it officially is.  Its sort of canon unless another TV or film contradicts it.  It used the regular actors for the voices so it makes it sort of canon.

Fuller said he would start releasing spoilers on the 10th (tomorrow) so let's hope!

In other news, Beyond continues to plummet at the box office.

29 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The Animated Series is weird.  Some fans consider it canon but I dont think it officially is.  Its sort of canon unless another TV or film contradicts it.  It used the regular actors for the voices so it makes it sort of canon.

Fuller said he would start releasing spoilers on the 10th (tomorrow) so let's hope!

In other news, Beyond continues to plummet at the box office.

Weird summer. Seems like a lot of movies make 60m and lose 60% next week. At least its ahead of Ghostbusters. Have not seen either.

Bad timing? Too much in play? I thought they should have released it in Sept.

There is definitely a feeling that Star Trek just isn't a tent pole summer franchise. That it's too niche and requires to much franchise knowledge to really enjoy. 

JJ was tasked with changing that and did a good job with the 2009 film. But the more you make Trek widely accessible the more you sort of thumb your nose at the hardcore fans. I think Paramount believes the hardcore fans will always be there no matter what. But we're seeing that isn't true. 

And STID alienated both hardcore fans and Mainstream fans and Beyond is suffering for it. 

Beyond is good in many ways. But the plot is shallow and wishy washy so it isn't going to be a "can't miss" word of mouth success and it wasn't suitably epic or cool enough to make hardcore fans see it a dozen times. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There is definitely a feeling that Star Trek just isn't a tent pole summer franchise. That it's too niche and requires to much franchise knowledge to really enjoy.

Based on the movie totals? It's pretty much same as Jason Bourne after 2 weeks in North America.

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Based on the movie totals? It's pretty much same as Jason Bourne after 2 weeks in North America.

I'd argue Bourne suffers the same fate though.

Mostly, the issue with Beyond is that STID was flat awful so whatever good will 09 created with new fans was pissed away with STID.  They were starting from scratch with Beyond and it wasnt good enough to generate really positive word of mouth.  The loyalists werent going to see it ten times because it wasnt good enough, didnt celebrate the 50th Anniversary and wasnt epic in scope.  It was like an episode of TOS which was its charm in a way, but also its downfall.

The fact that during summer, everyone focuses on the next big release and in this case that was Bourne which was going to siphon off the action film demo right away doesnt help either.  But if Beyond was better, the secondary fans (like women and casuals) would have gone to see it.  And they didnt.  It wasnt good enough.  It wasnt terrible but it was wholly missable.  And that was an issue.

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Weird summer. Seems like a lot of movies make 60m and lose 60% next week. At least its ahead of Ghostbusters. Have not seen either.

Bad timing? Too much in play? I thought they should have released it in Sept.

Any movie with Melissa McCarthy I avoid like the plague.

- Will take place ten years before TOS

- Will focus on an event in Federation past that has been talked about but never explored

- will feature a female lead who will be a Lt Commander (rather then having the Ship's Captain be the lead)

- Will feature more aliens

- Will feature a gay character

- Will reference or otherwise use Section 31 to a degree

- Will use modern SFX and production design so it wont look or feel like TOS

I like everything Im hearing, except that last one.  My guess is the event will have something to do with the Romulan/Klingon alliance. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some more interesting comments from showtunner Bryan Fuller (on something called Nerd World Report, I took these from Trekmovie.com)

Fuller revealed that the show’s main character, who was previously revealed to be a female lieutenant commander (with caveats), would be the U.S.S. Discovery’s first officer and would be referred to as “Number One” as an homage to Majel Barret Roddenberry’s character from Star Trek’s first pilot, “The Cage.” Fuller would not say exactly when during the series we will learn the actual name of the character, but that it would be during the first season. Fuller, dodging the question of whether it would be in the pilot, quoted Spock from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by concluding his remarks on the subject by saying “If minutes were hours…”

Fuller said that when he and executive producer Alex Kurtzman were initially developing the story, they felt it could take place in either timeline and that, in his opinion, the timelines were inconsequential to the story they wanted to tell. However, Fuller noted that he and Kurtzman had decided to set Discovery in the Prime Timeline in order to keep the new series independent of the films. As a matter of practicality, the writing staff for Discovery would therefore not need to keep track of what the writers associated with the films were doing, and vice versa.

Fuller felt that there was something nice about setting Discovery in the Prime Timeline as there are so many aspects of The Original Series that would be fun to explore with updated production values

Fuller has stated in previous comments that Discovery would “reimagine” Star Trek. When pressed for specifics, Fuller mentioned that one of the cool things they get to do with the show is reimagine all of the alien species that the audience has seen before in Star Trek. Fuller, along with the show’s writing staff, wanted to do something a little unique with the look of aliens.

Commenting on this, Fuller said “It’s fun for all of us who have fetishized the look of these species over the years of watching Star Trek, and it’s fun for us to put a new spin on old favorites.” When specifically pressed about the look of the Klingons in Discovery and whether they would have forehead ridges, or look like they did in The Original Series, Fuller would not comment.

Continuing, Fuller said that “we’re going to try to achieve a new look for Star Trek that is very much Star Trek, but also our interpretation of Star Trek. And I love [for] each of the shows I work on to have a distinct esthetic. So being able to apply the color palette of some of these, whether it’s Hannibal or Pushing Daisies, and going a different direction with science fiction, it just felt like it was a good place to start our signature look for the Star Trek universe and work our way forward as we continue to tell stories.”

Given the timeframe of ten years before The Original Series, Fuller said that the crew’s uniforms would be completely different that those seen in “The Cage.” Fuller continued, saying “I think that when you see it [the uniform] I can tell you specifically what the influences are, and that the styles that [they adopted] a transporter accident in their approach. A happy transporter accident. I think when you see the design, you’ll say “It’s a little bit of this, it’s a little bit of that.”

I don't want to sound negative, but I'm gonna...this sounds like garbage.  From what he's saying, to the look of the ship.  And what's with the "we won't know her real name for a while" crap?  Seriously?  Everyone is just going to call her Number One?

And since when has their ever been a Klingon Captain of a Federation Starship?  Worf was the first Klingon in Starfleet.

Uggh...this is why I hate prequels.  I wish they'd just continue on after Voyager or something.

22 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I don't want to sound negative, but I'm gonna...this sounds like garbage.  From what he's saying, to the look of the ship.  And what's with the "we won't know her real name for a while" crap?  Seriously?  Everyone is just going to call her Number One?

And since when has their ever been a Klingon Captain of a Federation Starship?  Worf was the first Klingon in Starfleet.

Uggh...this is why I hate prequels.  I wish they'd just continue on after Voyager or something.

There was a Klingon in the comics but not canon. What he say about the ship?

Not surprised with the Number One thing.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Well he did say the teaser was not complete and the ship was a work in progress.  The sense was he heard the overwhelming backlash to it so hopefully we get something a little better.

I was excited for it and still am.  My concern is when he says things like "re-imagining".  But we really dont know what that means.  He has said they wont even try to make their ship design and tech fit into a Pre-TOS era which concerns me.  I think we all accept modern effects make things better but it doesnt mean a pre TOS ship has to be more high tech than TOS.  It can be a contemporary to TOS design using updated technology for SFX.  For example, I really liked how the USS Kelvin looked in Star Trek 2009 (dont get me started on the Enterprise though, that was crap).

But he could mean more of how they approach the story telling.  It would seem odd to choose a Pre-TOS Prime Timeline era and then not adhere to canon.  He specifically said they wanted that time because there were TOS things to explore.  So Im hopeful he isnt just going to over-write canon.

Number One is meant as a homage to Majel Barrett's character from the original TOS pilot "The Cage".  She wasnt named in that one.  Its strange because "Number One" is going to invoke Riker a lot more than Captain Pike's first officer to most fans.  So saying its an homage to her is interesting.  If her name is meant to be a big reveal then it must mean something.  But Im having a hard time thinking of a woman that would mean something from that era of Trek.  Its possible she is the SAME "Number One" as Majel's character, transferred from the Enterprise, which would be interesting and there is a fan theory that explains it...and speculates the "event" that Discovery centres on that Fuller said was referenced in past series' but not explored could be the Rigel incident which was discussed but never shown in "The Cage", the event that caused Pike to question everything.

I have a crazy theory.  Fuller mentioned Discovery would bridge the gap between Enterprise and TOS.  But thats a weird thing to say because it's ten years before TOS but waaaaay after Enterprise (about 60 years) making it tough to bridge the gap.  He could have just meant it took place between those two series' in time.  But here's my crazy, totally impossible theory. 

"Number One" is the daughter of Trip and T'pol from Enterprise.  Fuller said she's human but her rank comes with caveats.  There is speculation Section 31 could be involved.  On Enterprise, their daughter died.  But Section 31 was involved in Enterprise and in the post series' books, Trips death was retconned to be a ruse by Section 31 (non-canon).  So Im saying the first hybrid was so important that Section 31 faked the death and recruited her, altered her physical appearance to look only human.  She retains Vulcan attributes like long life, intelligence, etc.  Thats how she could be 60 but look 30.

If her name is revealed to be Elizabeth Tucker, I was right.  Crazy, I know.  lol  But Fuller did say they "loved" thje character of Amanda Grayson (Spock's human mother), what better way to use her then some sort of mentor or adviser to someone struggling with their Vulcan/human conflict, much like Amanda's son.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I might be wrong but canon-wise was not the Enterprise around 10 years before Kirk took over.

The NX-01 Enterprise launched in 2151.  Kirk became captain of the NCC-1701 Enterprise in 2265.

Discovery is set one year after "The Cage" and ten years before "TOS" so around 2255.  So it would be around 100 years after "Enterprise".

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The NX-01 Enterprise launched in 2151.  Kirk became captain of the NCC-1701 Enterprise in 2265.

Discovery is set one year after "The Cage" and ten years before "TOS" so around 2255.  So it would be around 100 years after "Enterprise".

No Im talking about ship Enterprise. If its set after Cage then we could have a Pike meet-up not Capt. April who I think is canon.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No Im talking about ship Enterprise. If its set after Cage then we could have a Pike meet-up not Capt. April who I think is canon.

Correct.  "The Cage" (the origional pillot with Captain Pike) took place about 11 years before Kirk took command (13 years before the episode "The Menagerie" where they told the story of "The Cage"). 

So there is definitely room for Pike to appear.  At the point of Discovery, Pike would still be Captain of the Enterprise, Spock would still be his science officer.  Hopefully, we do see him and its Bruce Greenwood as Pike.