Game 57 : Jets @ Preds

Looking forward to this game. Very interested to see our new defence pairings and if the 2nd line with Stafford on it has some early chemistry.

Like this from here ... http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2014020814&navid=nhl:topheads

“Just taking a couple passes and trying to make some plays with these guys this morning is pretty awesome with the pace of play,” Stafford said. “I’m going to do my best to try and be strong for them down low and hang onto the puck and try to create some space for them, and also if they’re not afraid to set me up for a couple, I’ll see if I can put it away for them.”

In my eyes, +/- is really more of a team stat, and Buffalo is a horrible team right now.  I wouldn’t worry too much about his numbers in Buffalo. 

I was reading some fan comments from one of Buffalo’s papers last night on the trade, and the consensus there seems to be that Myers & Stafford are soft & overpaid and they are glad to be getting rid of them.  They seem to think Myers is going to get eaten alive going to the West and happy to be getting a couple of hardnosed, physical, Western players.  

Which I got a bit of a chuckle at because it wasn’t that long ago that the Jets were a “soft” Eastern team that everyone thought was going to get eaten alive in the West, including Bogo and Kane.

It took Maurice and his staff half a season and an off season to focus the Jets into the team they are now.  Look at what they’ve done to Byfuglien’s game.    Hopefully they can work the same magic with Myers. 

I think it is great when both fan bases like the deal they got in a trade.  Buffalo got the better “now” pieces (even if we re-sign Stafford).  But we got rid of a problem/distraction in the dressing room.   Also, apparently there were rumblings that Lemieux wasn’t going to sign in Buffalo, so they are happy to be rid of a prospect who didn’t want to be there, just like we are happy to be rid of Kane.

Won’t know the full ramifications of this trade for a number of years when we see what the prospects turn into and what Kane is able to do in Buffalo (does he continue on the path he is on now or does he mature).    But for now, both fan bases seem to be happy, and that is a win / win.

Ill tell you this one thing, which is all I know, I made this trade in NHL 15 (more or less as the trade as is would not go through) and Myers is a beast in the game.

What did you have to change to make it happen in game?

I added Galiardi and dropped the 1st round pick from Buffalo.  I *think* thats all though I might be wrong because I was changing it around alot to try and make it work.

it seems the game gives greater weight to players on their "want" list and I dont think Kane and Bogo were on Buffalo's list so they were pissy about that lol. At one point I had a 2016 1st round pick from Winnipeg but I cant remember if I dropped that or kept it.  I think i ended up over paying because I was getting frustrated.

Jets ran into one of the best goalies in the league tonight and lost.

Did not see anything special about Stafford(or many of his teammates). Myers, tough to miss him. Damn bad luck with that shot to the leg. Was on for 2 goals I think but tough to blame for the 2nd one as he was injured and Pav should not have let that one in.

Red Wings Saturday night. When did they get good?!?! Hutch to start.

Stafford made some nice plays down low and looked like he was getting used to a new system at times (out of position on a few passes etc.) He has talent, size and enough speed to contribute so lets give that line some time. Myers fits right in and almost had a chance to score as he moved up on the play. Nashville is really nothing special but their goalie is, better than Price right now IMO.

Thought Stafford looked good actually. Worked hard. He will be good with more time here.

Pavs....well I dont know. He just seems like he's not the guy.

99% of the time you play like jets did tonight you're going to win 5-2. Rinne is a damn monster. Preds are winning the cup.

Why you no like Pavs tonight?

Sorry Jets fans. 

You guys ran into the fierce Preds machine tonight. 

A healthy Pekka Rinne is the best goalie in the world right now. Imagine if stupid Chris Higgins hadn't tried to run him through the end boards? Anyhow, it's a perfect storm in Nashville this year with a roster featuring a lot of chemistry amongst the vets, a solid group of defenders and the emergence of Forsberg. 

3 teams in non-traditional markets are sitting in the top 5 (albeit Anaheim and Tampa have had success in the past I still call them non-trad markets). 

Overall, the Jets played real well yesterday. Special teams was the difference, and a fantastic performance in net from the league's best tender. If we play like that down the stretch, we'll be just fine.

Pavs played fine, ridiculous to put the blame squarely on his shoulders. 

If Chevy wasn't banging the phones for another FW, he better be now. I love parts of Peluso's game...but he's just not a good enough 4th liner on a playoff team. We need another top 9 to move Thorbs to the 4th where he belongs. I think a 4th of Slater, Thorburn & Halischuk/Galiardi can be okay-ish-enough.

3rd goal was weak but we only scored 1 against Rinne so we'd still lose 2-1 if that 3rd goal didn't go in. Fact is, Rinne is 7-0 in his career vs the Jets. Could start a brick wall and it wouldn't matter. Dude just has the Jets number. Several fantastic saves. If anyone but  Rinne played that game, we win easily. Pav played well too and has actually played very well vs Nashville this season, Just we can't beat Rinne. It is what it is. To blame Pav for the other goalie being the best goalie in the league is crazy actually. Pav played well enough to win, could argue he kept the Jets in the game at times making several huge saves. Just Rinne is too good.