Former Bomber Coach Mike Riley

Rids

Impressive that Riley is respected by such a huge football program like Nebraska. At 61 years of age, it's not clear how much longer he plans on coaching, but another 10 years on the sidelines is within the realm of possibility for a college coach. Nebraska has produced legendary coaches. Would love to see Mikey do well. Maybe the Huskers are my team again.

Nebraska in 1985, 1995 or even 2005 wouldn't have considered hiring someone like Mike Riley.  That's my point.  Back when Nebraska was a top program they would have been poaching one of the top recruiters who have turned awful programs in Mississippi into national championship contenders or someone like those guys.  That program has fallen off a cliff into the abyss of mediocrity and I don't think they could even poach someone who is already in a good power conference job, which is almost unbelievable to me given the prestige of that program when I was growing up.  Used to be Nebraska and Miami, now they are getting beat by Minnesota and Duke. 

Nebraska in 1985, 1995 or even 2005 wouldn't have considered hiring someone like Mike Riley.  That's my point.  Back when Nebraska was a top program they would have been poaching one of the top recruiters who have turned awful programs in Mississippi into national championship contenders or someone like those guys.  That program has fallen off a cliff into the abyss of mediocrity and I don't think they could even poach someone who is already in a good power conference job, which is almost unbelievable to me given the prestige of that program when I was growing up.  Used to be Nebraska and Miami, now they are getting beat by Minnesota and Duke. 

I blame Lawrence Phillips.

In 1985 and even 1995 there was a major difference in how recruiting worked in college football. It used to be said that every game on national TV was worth 5 recruits but now nearly every game is available nationally on some cable package.

Nebraska used to own the mid-west and was the biggest football program on the Prairies. They had a huge recruiting area and could draw the top players from Nebraska, North/South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota. 

By the way one of the rumors is that Mike Riley will bring Ed Orgeron in to coach the defense. If you used to be a Nebraska fan be prepared to become one again. They'll be a force in 4 years with those two recruiting the nation. 

I blame Lawrence Phillips.

This is 2014 not the 80's & 90's. Times change.

Well they got their butts handed to them by Ohio State (and their 3rd string QB) in the conference championship and his Heisman finalist RB has said he's declaring for the NFL draft.  Maybe he thinks the Wisconsin program is going to be in bad shape for some time to come, and is pulling the parachute.  ie, being a quitter.

I don't think that's it though.  Maybe Alverez is just an awful guy to work for.

Well they got their butts handed to them by Ohio State (and their 3rd string QB) in the conference championship and his Heisman finalist RB has said he's declaring for the NFL draft.  Maybe he thinks the Wisconsin program is going to be in bad shape for some time to come, and is pulling the parachute.  ie, being a quitter.

I don't think that's it though.  Maybe Alverez is just an awful guy to work for.

I think location is likely the biggest factor. He's from Utah, and most of his coaching experience is out west.

Nebraska: As part of his bonus structure, Mike Riley will receive: $150,000 for appearing in a bowl game (not included as part of College Football Playoff) with the Huskers, $250,000 for appearing in any College Football Playoff Bowl game, $300,000 for appearing in the College Football Playoff semi-final game, $350,000 for appearing the College Football Playoff National Championship, and $650,000 for winning the College Football Playoff National Championship game.