Jets vs Oilers

You are all lucky the Jets pulled it out because as I was watching the third period I was preparing my rant for this site.  lol

Good comeback.  Got stoned by good goaltending several times.  But once again, the take away for me is the lack of fourth line minutes.  Big Show guys were talking about this and if you cant play your fourth line against the Oilers, who can you play them against?

If the Jets are in the Playoff hunt come the deadline, they might have to be buyers just to improve the depth.  Imagine making the playoffs and being a three line team over an extended period of time?  You can almost write the articles now - Jets Run Out Of Gas.  And the questions would then be, if management knew the fourth line couldnt play, why did they wait to do something about it.

But I thought about this and I wonder if its more of the same draft & develop approach.  Ehlers will presumably make the team next season.  Let's pencil him in as 3LW with Perrault and Frolik.  Lowry moves down to the 4th, likely on the LW with Slater in the middle.  I think Slater would play more with better wingers.  Maybe a 4th line of Lowry-Slater-Kilngberg or something to that effect.  Size and energy.

We will know a lot about this team come the New Year.  If they can become a force at home, they are going to look good.

They also brought up and interesting point on TSN this morning in regards to ice time.   Is the top line getting more ice time due to the lack of ice time to the 4th, or are they simply giving those minutes to the 2nd and 3rd line.  Quickly looked at the stats this morning, and here is the ice time for the forwards for both Edmonton and Winnipeg:

4              T. Hall                L            20:57

93           Nugent-Hopkins  C           20:49

68           T. Pitlick              R           18:07

16           T. Purcell            R            16:48

57           D. Perron            L            16:43

10           N. Yakupov         R            15:42

14           J. Eberle             R            15:35

27           B. Gordon           C            14:56

29           L. Draisaitl           C            14:55

13           S. Pinizzotto        R              9:21

26           M. Arcobello        C              9:13

20           L. Gazdic             L              7:28

9              E. Kane             L             20:19

33           D. Byfuglien       R             20:03

26           B. Wheeler         R            19:49

18           B. Little               C            18:37

16           A. Ladd               L            18:31

85           M. Perreault       C            18:30

55           M. Scheifele       C            16:35

67           M. Frolik             R            15:58

17           A. Lowry             L            15:50

19           J. Slater              C             5:48

14           A. Peluso            R             4:27

22           C. Thorburn        R             4:24

There is no single forward on the Jets who had substantially more ice time than anyone on Edmonton.  In fact Taylor Hall had more ice time then any forward on the Jets or Edmonton.

So if your top line guys can play 20 minutes a game on a night in / night out basis regardless of what the 4th line gets, is it that much of a stretch for your 2nd and 3rd line guys to pick up a few more minutes?  Shouldn’t those guys be able to handle a similar work load.

Thought it was an interesting point to consider.

Also found it interesting that Byfuglien had so much ice time.  I usually assume his minutes are higher due to power play time, but there was only one penalty in this game to the Jets, and Buff didn't play on the PK.

Also good to see the Jets pull that one out late.  The Jets of old would have never come back to win that one.

B4AxzKbIQAAVvYU.jpg

They also brought up and interesting point on TSN this morning in regards to ice time.   Is the top line getting more ice time due to the lack of ice time to the 4th, or are they simply giving those minutes to the 2nd and 3rd line.  Quickly looked at the stats this morning, and here is the ice time for the forwards for both Edmonton and Winnipeg:

4              T. Hall    L              20:57

93           Nugent-Hopkins C           20:49

68           T. Pitlick                R             18:07

16           T. Purcell              R             16:48

57           D. Perron             L              16:43

10           N. Yakupov         R             15:42

14           J. Eberle               R             15:35

27           B. Gordon           C             14:56

29           L. Draisaitl            C             14:55

13           S. Pinizzotto       R             9:21

26           M. Arcobello      C             9:13

20           L. Gazdic              L              7:28

9              E. Kane L              20:19

33           D. Byfuglien        R             20:03

26           B. Wheeler         R             19:49

18           B. Little C             18:37

16           A. Ladd L              18:31

85           M. Perreault      C             18:30

55           M. Scheifele       C             16:35

67           M. Frolik              R             15:58

17           A. Lowry              L              15:50

19           J. Slater                C             5:48

14           A. Peluso             R             4:27

22           C. Thorburn        R             4:24

There is no single forward on the Jets who had substantially more ice time than anyone on Edmonton.  In fact Taylor Hall had more ice time then any forward on the Jets or Edmonton.

So if your top line guys can play 20 minutes a game on a night in / night out basis regardless of what the 4th line gets, is it that much of a stretch for your 2nd and 3rd line guys to pick up a few more minutes?  Shouldn’t those guys be able to handle a similar work load.

Thought it was an interesting point to consider.

Also found it interesting that Byfuglien had so much ice time.  I usually assume his minutes are higher due to power play time, but there was only one penalty in this game to the Jets, and Buff didn't play on the PK.

Also good to see the Jets pull that one out late.  The Jets of old would have never come back to win that one.

B4AxzKbIQAAVvYU.jpg

Pretty interesting.

Very true.  and Im not even saying their plan is wrong.  But I think the questions are going to get louder about why management hasnt tried to improve the fourth line at all.

They said part of Maurice's job when he came in last season was to evaluate every player and that there could be changes based on that.  Well not playing your 4th line guys is a pretty clear evaluation.  So armed with this information, Chevy has not made any moves to improve them nor have they tried to bring in any St John's players to compete there.  Question is, why?

And I can only assume it's this very strict adherence to "The Plan".

Another point that came up last night was that cup winning teams have at least 11 (or possible "on average") draft picks playing for them.  Off the top of my head, I think the Jets are well below that.  So even in the normal course of development, they are not in a position to be cup competitive without more guys coming from internal.

My fear is, the Jets make the playoffs and engage in a gruelling 7 game series where they run out of gas.  And the questions will all be about how they only played three lines...and had they improved their depth they could have advanced.  A lot of "ifs" and "buts" there but I think you'd hope the GM would always be trying to improve areas they know are lacking.

The most interesting takeaway for me was the low scoring - it's anecdotal but it seems like every Jets/Oilers game in recent years combines for 9 goals or so due to the total inability of both teams to play defence.

There is usually one moment in every Jets game where Byfuglien does something out there that only he can do.  His combination of skills and attributes is entirely unique in the NHL.  He sure had a whale of a game last night.

Ladd on the other hand...that shift where he took the penalty, and the one that followed, that was just terrible.  It looked like he forgot what sport he was playing.  Thankfully he got his head out of his butt in time for the back half of the third.

Another point that came up last night was that cup winning teams have at least 11 (or possible "on average") draft picks playing for them.  Off the top of my head, I think the Jets are well below that.  So even in the normal course of development, they are not in a position to be cup competitive without more guys coming from internal.

I think you might be misinterpreting their point.

They were making that point to show how poorly Edmonton has drafted, and outside of their multiple top 3 picks in recent years, have almost nothing to show from the other 40 (?) draft picks they've made.

Contrary to that, the Jets look to have picked up a lot of talent outside of the first round of the draft.  From a managerial point of view, these are teams headed in totally opposite directions.

Very true.  and Im not even saying their plan is wrong.  But I think the questions are going to get louder about why management hasnt tried to improve the fourth line at all.

They said part of Maurice's job when he came in last season was to evaluate every player and that there could be changes based on that.  Well not playing your 4th line guys is a pretty clear evaluation.  So armed with this information, Chevy has not made any moves to improve them nor have they tried to bring in any St John's players to compete there.  Question is, why?

My fear is, the Jets make the playoffs and engage in a gruelling 7 game series where they run out of gas.  And the questions will all be about how they only played three lines...and had they improved their depth they could have advanced.  A lot of "ifs" and "buts" there but I think you'd hope the GM would always be trying to improve areas they know are lacking.

For me, the question always comes back to that Thorburn contract.  Why so high and so long.  A 4th line of Thorburn, Peluso, and Slater is not going to cut it.

As to the playoffs, if we were to make it this year, even if we had a better 4th line, I don't think we are making it out of the first round.  Even if we are one and done in the playoffs, we just need to start getting that playoff experience to the top half of the lineup.  

We basically need better 3rd line players to push the current 3rd line down.  And those aren't easy to just pickup.  It would be nice next year if Ehlers were to make the team pushing someone like Lowry down to the 4th.  A 4th line of Slater and Lowry and one of Peluso / Thorburn or maybe  Klingburg if he is ready would be more palatable.

You could be right on the draft picks, but that is still a left over problem from Atlanta.  I think this is going to start changing drastically over the next year or two as the Jets draft picks begin to mature. I thought Chiarot looked good out there last night, especially it being his 2nd NHL game of his career.  (He was at Atlanta draft pick).  Will be nice when these guys can start pushing out the Clitsome's and Pardy's, who were basically waiver wire pickups to strengthen the depth until we can fill it with our own guys.

On the other hand, look how far we've come since year 1 when GST was our third line!

I hear what your saying and can agree to a point.

But in a game like that how many teams are really going to roll 4 lines? Your down 2-1 to a team thats just lost 10 games. I think your rolling 3 and maybe 2 at that point.

I think Rich makes a good point.  Maybe if we were playing the top line 24-25 minutes per night, I could see the argument that they will run out of gas.  But as it stands, our top line is getting the same minutes as any other top line, maybe even less than some teams.  I have a hard time believing that the 3rd line and 2nd line receiving a couple extra minutes per game is going to make a big difference in the long run, in terms of endurance.  I mean, most teams aren't playing their 4th line any more than 8 or 9 minutes per game so we're talking about an extra 4-5 minutes spread out between 3 lines here.

However I still believe we should be looking to improve that 4th line.  I think JC Lipon and Patrice Cormier are both guys in our system that could eventually work their way into the mix. 

I also think that if we are in playoff position come March, we will be looking really hard at making some trades to improve our depth.  I still believe that had Scheifele not been injured last year, Chevy would have made a move at the deadline to try to push the team into the playoffs.  I have no reason to believe he won't be looking to do the same this year.

And hey, let's get some love in here for Ben Chiarot.  Nice to know we have at least one guy in St. John's who can step up and fill a hole on defence when necessary.

For me, the question always comes back to that Thorburn contract.  Why so high and so long.  A 4th line of Thorburn, Peluso, and Slater is not going to cut it.

As to the playoffs, if we were to make it this year, even if we had a better 4th line, I don't think we are making it out of the first round.  Even if we are one and done in the playoffs, we just need to start getting that playoff experience to the top half of the lineup.  

We basically need better 3rd line players to push the current 3rd line down.  And those aren't easy to just pickup.  It would be nice next year if Ehlers were to make the team pushing someone like Lowry down to the 4th.  A 4th line of Slater and Lowry and one of Peluso / Thorburn or maybe  Klingburg if he is ready would be more palatable.

You could be right on the draft picks, but that is still a left over problem from Atlanta.  I think this is going to start changing drastically over the next year or two as the Jets draft picks begin to mature. I thought Chiarot looked good out there last night, especially it being his 2nd NHL game of his career.  (He was at Atlanta draft pick).  Will be nice when these guys can start pushing out the Clitsome's and Pardy's, who were basically waiver wire pickups to strengthen the depth until we can fill it with our own guys.

On the other hand, look how far we've come since year 1 when GST was our third line!

This is the plan id have to assume.

Your not trying to add 4th line players..... Your trying to add 3rd or 2nd line guys that push others down.

As you said the next 2 years will be interesting when some of our younger guys mature and start making the jump up to the big team.

Getting into the playoffs is the goal at this point in the development of the team to teach them what it takes once your there. 

I took a look at the ice time of the forward in the Chicago / St Louis game last night, figuring those teams would be a good measure.

St Louis had Steen with over 24 minutes, 3 guys just over 20.  Their bottom 3 players had 5:33 (Porter) , 5:43 (Reaves), and 8:59 (Lapierre)

Chicago was a lot more balance with no forward over 20.  Toewes (19:27), Kane (18:09), and Smith (17:44).  Their lowest ice time was Bickell (7:50), Carcillo (8:24), and Nordstrom (9:02)

12 penalties in the game though.  Steen had 8 minutes of PP time and 1:30 in PK time, so special teams could skew those stats.

They were making that point to show how poorly Edmonton has drafted, and outside of their multiple top 3 picks in recent years, have almost nothing to show from the other 40 (?) draft picks they've made.

Contrary to that, the Jets look to have picked up a lot of talent outside of the first round of the draft.  From a managerial point of view, these are teams headed in totally opposite directions.

I understand that.  Their discussion wasnt about the Jets, I just thought it was interesting to take their point and apply it to the Jets who are certainly doing a far better job of drafting then the Oilers but still arent up to the cup contender average.

The Oilers are a mess of epic proportions.  How you can draft that high for so many years and be this bad is beyond me.  If they end up with McDavid, it would be a damn travesty.

Absolutely agree.  I think Lowry was always intended to be a top 4th line player and our 4th line was so bad, he ended up on the third line.  The issue will likely be resolved, as you said, by making the third line better and a guy like Lowry shuffling down to be a 4th line star.  And then he likely plays himself back up as he develops and more draft picks cycle into the line up.

I hate to bring it back to Buff but the Jets' drafting and development is where a guy like him will end up the odd-man out.  The important moment in Jets history will be next season with Ladd and Buff contracts expiring.  Do they both sign?  Is one or the other traded?  etc.

But in a game like that how many teams are really going to roll 4 lines? Your down 2-1 to a team thats just lost 10 games. I think your rolling 3 and maybe 2 at that point.

Yes but its not a small sample size anymore.  Jets' 4th line barely plays.  Thorburn got a contract he didnt really deserve for his on-ice play but either Chevy or Chipman or both rewarded his off-ice qualities with a career contract.  If that is how they want to spend their money so be it.  But if it prevents them from upgrading the 3rd or 4th line, its a problem.

I understand that.  Their discussion wasnt about the Jets, I just thought it was interesting to take their point and apply it to the Jets who are certainly doing a far better job of drafting then the Oilers but still arent up to the cup contender average.

The Oilers are a mess of epic proportions.  How you can draft that high for so many years and be this bad is beyond me.  If they end up with McDavid, it would be a damn travesty.

But we arnt cup contenders yet....  or am i missing something?

Yes but its not a small sample size anymore.  Jets' 4th line barely plays.  Thorburn got a contract he didnt really deserve for his on-ice play but either Chevy or Chipman or both rewarded his off-ice qualities with a career contract.  If that is how they want to spend their money so be it.  But if it prevents them from upgrading the 3rd or 4th line, its a problem.

True

That whole Thorburn thing is just weird...  I dont understand it.

Right.  My point simply being an interesting observation.  I didnt know about a correlation between home grown draft picks and cup teams.  I find that interesting.  Its a point towards the jets' draft and develop mentality even when fans want a quicker turn around.  Because of what we got from Atlanta, it might take for then five years before 11 draft picks are regulars on our team.  Just another measure of our development.  And then compared to the mess in Edmonton.... oh boy.

Right.  My point simply being an interesting observation.  I didnt know about a correlation between home grown draft picks and cup teams.  I find that interesting.  Its a point towards the jets' draft and develop mentality even when fans want a quicker turn around.  Because of what we got from Atlanta, it might take for then five years before 11 draft picks are regulars on our team.  Just another measure of our development.  And then compared to the mess in Edmonton.... oh boy.

We'll have 11 draft picks as regulars next year.

Some fans may want a quick turn... but in reality that aint going to happen.

And the Jets have said from the get go that it would take 5 years to turn around what they got from Atlanta to what they want to be. As far as i can tell they are pretty much right on schedule to what they said. So if fans arnt happy with that then im not sure what to tell them.

Looking at teams like the Blues, Kings, Hawks and even Pens....  They all sucked for years and build thru the draft and these teams more less can contend every year. Sure you can try to build thru trades and FAs but i dont think you will be able to contend every year by doing that anymore.

You may get one or 2 years that you make it deep into the playoffs but then you will drop off and have nothing or very little in your system to keep up.

Nice game by the boys last night.

Just no give up against a stubborn team that needed to win.

As mentioned on broadcast, they didn't want to be the team that lost and ended the streak for Edmonton.

Not sure they win this game last year.

Top 3 players of the game were Trouba, Pavs and Byfuglien.

Nice game by the boys last night.

Just no give up against a stubborn team that needed to win.

As mentioned on broadcast, they didn't want to be the team that lost and ended the streak for Edmonton.

Not sure they win this game last year.

Top 3 players of the game were Trouba, Pavs and Byfuglien.

Perreault had a great game as well

Perrault has really taken Scheif's spot and the kid is struggling.  Not terribly - he is still making plays.  But I think his bad luck from early in the season has hurt his confidence.  He should probably have ten goals if not more right now.  He's not going to get the offensive opportunities with Lowry and Frolik.  No doubt he will end up playing higher up the line up at some point, but it would be difficult to take Perrault off that second line right now.

Here's a question, if the Jets are hovering around this spot at the deadline, say competing for 3rd in the division/wildcard, do the Jets make a trade to improve the top 9?  A scoring winger to play the third line, move Lowry down and solidify the 4th?