Jets vs Oilers

Perrault has really taken Scheif's spot and the kid is struggling.  Not terribly - he is still making plays.  But I think his bad luck from early in the season has hurt his confidence.  He should probably have ten goals if not more right now.  He's not going to get the offensive opportunities with Lowry and Frolik.  No doubt he will end up playing higher up the line up at some point, but it would be difficult to take Perrault off that second line right now.

Here's a question, if the Jets are hovering around this spot at the deadline, say competing for 3rd in the division/wildcard, do the Jets make a trade to improve the top 9?  A scoring winger to play the third line, move Lowry down and solidify the 4th?

Nope.

Simple reason is its not going to improve you enough to really do anything. And who would you trade anyway? Picks? Prospects? A top 6 for another top 6?

I dont see them doing anything like this at all. Its not the idea of what the plan is.

Perrault has really taken Scheif's spot and the kid is struggling.  Not terribly - he is still making plays.  But I think his bad luck from early in the season has hurt his confidence.  He should probably have ten goals if not more right now.  He's not going to get the offensive opportunities with Lowry and Frolik.  No doubt he will end up playing higher up the line up at some point, but it would be difficult to take Perrault off that second line right now.

Here's a question, if the Jets are hovering around this spot at the deadline, say competing for 3rd in the division/wildcard, do the Jets make a trade to improve the top 9?  A scoring winger to play the third line, move Lowry down and solidify the 4th?

Hard question to answer.   It would certainly mean that we wouldn't trade Buff until at least the off season  :)

Wouldn't give up a first because I don't think we yet have enough talent to really complete and go far in the playoffs.   We seem to be very strong in goaltender depth prospect wise right now, but goalies can be so tough to judge, not sure how much a team would be willing to give up to get one of them.  

I look at our prospects and what I'd be willing to give up this year, and don't see a lot that would get us much in return.

I would say Ehlers, Petan, and Morissey would be on the not trade list.    That leaves guys like Chase De Leo, Jack Glover, Kitchton as players that other teams may have an interest in.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/winnipeg-jets/

Ha, it's very lucky the Jets don't have you as GM…you'd have made, what, 7 or 8 trades by now?  :P

Id be a very conservative GM actually.  I like Chevy a lot and I like what he's done.  I just get a lot of entertainment value out of fantasy trades and rumours and such.

But the point being, last season, Chevy chose not to trade away assets at the deadline because the Jets had a shot at the playoffs.  So if they look to be in the hunt for solidly, would he make a deal to improve the team?

Hard question to answer.   It would certainly mean that we wouldn't trade Buff until at least the off season  :)

Wouldn't give up a first because I don't think we yet have enough talent to really complete and go far in the playoffs.   We seem to be very strong in goaltender depth prospect wise right now, but goalies can be so tough to judge, not sure how much a team would be willing to give up to get one of them.  

I look at our prospects and what I'd be willing to give up this year, and don't see a lot that would get us much in return.

I would say Ehlers, Petan, and Morissey would be on the not trade list.    That leaves guys like Chase De Leo, Jack Glover, Kitchton as players that other teams may have an interest in.

I'd have to look at other teams and their contracts.  But certainly a Buff trade will wait til the off-season now.  And I think the importance of that will come down to - does Buff want to be here (the whole forward vs defence question) and it might be related to Ladd's plans too.  We know Wheeler, Little etc talked to each other about their deals and agreed to stay here together and build something.  I'd assume Ladd and Buff were in on those discussions but we will see.

At the deadline, the Jets would be looking to trade assets they dont value (lower level prospects, Burmi/Telegin) or possibly someone like Comrie to a team that is outside the playoffs and wants to part with a pending UFA or a player with 1+ years left in a salary dump.  Im not sure the Jets would want a player with term unless it someone they see as a long term investment like Frolik.  Jets would be looking for either a UFA rental in the middle six or a younf player thats still an RFA.

There will be teams with players to dump at the deadline that the Jets could get without giving up much. 

Ha, it's very lucky the Jets don't have you as GM…you'd have made, what, 7 or 8 trades by now?  :P

Id be a very conservative GM actually.  I like Chevy a lot and I like what he's done.  I just get a lot of entertainment value out of fantasy trades and rumours and such.

But the point being, last season, Chevy chose not to trade away assets at the deadline because the Jets had a shot at the playoffs.  So if they look to be in the hunt for solidly, would he make a deal to improve the team?

I think you have to ask yourself what your trying to do. And how making one trade is really going to improve your team over what you believe you have in your system.

If we make the playoffs we arnt going to make it out of the first round ... well we might get to the second but beyond that i doubt we go far this year... So is making a trade for the sake of making a trade worth it? Id have to say no. 

I'd have to look at other teams and their contracts.  But certainly a Buff trade will wait til the off-season now.  And I think the importance of that will come down to - does Buff want to be here (the whole forward vs defence question) and it might be related to Ladd's plans too.  We know Wheeler, Little etc talked to each other about their deals and agreed to stay here together and build something.  I'd assume Ladd and Buff were in on those discussions but we will see.

At the deadline, the Jets would be looking to trade assets they dont value (lower level prospects, Burmi/Telegin) or possibly someone like Comrie to a team that is outside the playoffs and wants to part with a pending UFA or a player with 1+ years left in a salary dump.  Im not sure the Jets would want a player with term unless it someone they see as a long term investment like Frolik.  Jets would be looking for either a UFA rental in the middle six or a younf player thats still an RFA.

There will be teams with players to dump at the deadline that the Jets could get without giving up much. 

Once you get closer to the deadline though and the bidding wars start, the prospect wants go up.  Burmi might get you something if the other team thought they could bring him back.  Telegin doesn't have much value IMO.  

The problem with the Jets dumping assets they don't value, is most other teams don't value them either.  If you want to make a "splash" with a big name pending UFA, you are going to have to give up more then that, because other teams closer to competing to the cup will be willing to give up more then you.  

You can probably get someone to bolster our 3rd and 4th line depth for a lower draft pick and/or middling prospect, which wouldn't be a bad thing for this team.

This is just my opinion but i think what the Jets will be doing as this year goes on is trying to extend Ladd, Buff and looking to sign Schief and Trouba long term.

As for Burmi?  Well he aint worth 3 pucks anymore because he and his agent are idiots so id just keep offering him contracts so he stays ours for the next 3 years i think it is and let him rot.

This is just my opinion but i think what the Jets will be doing as this year goes on is trying to extend Ladd, Buff and looking to sign Schief and Trouba long term.

As for Burmi?  Well he aint worth 3 pucks anymore because he and his agent are idiots so id just keep offering him contracts so he stays ours for the next 3 years i think it is and let him rot.

I'd really like to see what Burmi would do under Maurice.

It is no secret him and Noel never got along.   With Maurice's experience in the KHL, wonder if he could get through to Burmi.

I think you have to ask yourself what your trying to do. And how making one trade is really going to improve your team over what you believe you have in your system.

If we make the playoffs we arnt going to make it out of the first round ... well we might get to the second but beyond that i doubt we go far this year... So is making a trade for the sake of making a trade worth it? Id have to say no. 

I think a trade that brings in a quality mid six player that helps the Jets win a tough opening round series is exceptionally worth it, if that were to happen.  There is no guarantee ofcourse.  But if the difference between a first round exit and a second round exit is a mid six rental or two, Im all for it.  The return on investment for TN would be massive also.

It is no secret him and Noel never got along.   With Maurice's experience in the KHL, wonder if he could get through to Burmi.

Me too.

I actually think hed do really good under Maurice and his system.

Me too.

I actually think hed do really good under Maurice and his system.

I know that was the thought process but I believe Burmi said this year that he wants to return to the NHL next season but not with the Jets. 

Why do that if you can trade him for an asset, even if its a 3rd round pick?  I'd be trying to bring him back to the fold, but if he wont play here, trade him.  Dont lose him for nothing.

Why do that if you can trade him for an asset, even if its a 3rd round pick?  I'd be trying to bring him back to the fold, but if he wont play here, trade him.  Dont lose him for nothing.

To prove a point.

Im pretty sure hes ours for the next 2-3 years if we keep offering him a contract.

But eh im all for a trade if you can get something...  I just dont think you can. I cant see why any team would want him.... hes a whiner that stomps his feet in a fit when he dont get what he wants when hes proven nothing.

To prove a point.

Im pretty sure hes ours for the next 2-3 years if we keep offering him a contract.

But eh im all for a trade if you can get something...  I just dont think you can. I cant see why any team would want him.... hes a whiner that stomps his feet in a fit when he dont get what he wants when hes proven nothing.

Hes talented.  I think hes worth the risk if its a small price.  I could see him being a throw in to sweeten a trade or a trade of someone else's "problem".  I could see a team with some Russian players maybe being interested.  I know there was some thought the Pens might be interested in Yakupov thinking Malkin could help him but I'd rather have a guy like Burmi who plays hard all the time.  He's be a great winger for Malkin.  Washington...maybe.

To prove a point.

Hes talented.  I think hes worth the risk if its a small price.  I could see him being a throw in to sweeten a trade or a trade of someone else's "problem".  I could see a team with some Russian players maybe being interested.  I know there was some thought the Pens might be interested in Yakupov thinking Malkin could help him but I'd rather have a guy like Burmi who plays hard all the time.  He's be a great winger for Malkin.  Washington...maybe.

I agree ..... To be really honest id like to see him back here under Maurice. And i also think hes way better and has more upside then Yakupov. That dude is pretty much useless, I dont think he has a hope in hell of ever making himself relevant to any team because he has no interest in learning how to play D and in todays NHL if you dont play D your just hurting your team.

Burmi didnt like Noels system because like i said in another thread his system didnt allow players to also freewheel and use their in stink and skills. As wheres Maurice system allows players freedom once they take care of the D and gain control of the puck.