Starting 3 Canadian receivers next season?

gbill2004

I land somewhere in the middle of Dr.CFL and Jaxon on this. I like the territorial exemption in principle. I do believe that teams like BC or the Riders that have a much larger pool of talent to choose from have an advantage. I would like to see the territorial exemption kept but with the caveat that if another team is interested in someone that falls into your protection area you must sign them within a certain timeframe or lose the territorial exemption on that player. I think this would still keep the CFL quite invested in junior football and open up an avenue for even more junior players to get invited to TCs.

I think that junior football has really started taking off since the CFL started to work hand in hand with them. It would be a shame to lose that momentum.

The territorial exemption had its day.  Previously teams had to "draft" players in their territory in a round prior to the draft of college players.  Other junior players were free agents.  In modern times, it makes little sense for Canadian players to be entering the league directly through multiple channels, they should all be subject to the draft.  It just isn't equitable.  Imagine if the Jets could only claim players from the Wheat Kings, while the Leafs had access to all the OHL teams in Southern Ontario, the Canucks had all the WHL teams in BC, but everyone could draft players from the CIS and NCAA.  That's about as absurd as the current CFL system for NI's.  

The Bombers work with the Bisons, why aren't they entitled to their players too?  That argument holds little water for me.

I land somewhere in the middle of Dr.CFL and Jaxon on this. I like the territorial exemption in principle. I do believe that teams like BC or the Riders that have a much larger pool of talent to choose from have an advantage. I would like to see the territorial exemption kept but with the caveat that if another team is interested in someone that falls into your protection area you must sign them within a certain timeframe or lose the territorial exemption on that player. I think this would still keep the CFL quite invested in junior football and open up an avenue for even more junior players to get invited to TCs.

I think that junior football has really started taking off since the CFL started to work hand in hand with them. It would be a shame to lose that momentum.

There are 2 limits in place.   First, it only applies to 4 players.  Secondly, it does expire after the Junior player completes his eligibility.  That is the case with Goodrich, he has completed his junior eligibility, so the Bombers have to sign him, or he will become draft eligible.  In his case, because his junior eligibility is now up, he would now count against the numbers.

I didn't say it was the Lions fault. I said there needs to be an adjustment in the process where by each team is afforded an opportunity to draft Junior players and remove the territorial protection. This is no different than when the territorial protection was removed from CIS players back in the day because of the lack of balance.

Actually it is quite different in that the CIS programs have funding from their schools which allows them to field their teams.   The CJFL teams rely on funding from their CFL partners.  Without that funding, the CJFL does not exist, so there would be no players to draft.

Looking at the situation from a fan viewpoint may make sense for player selection, but it doesn't solve the funding issue, and it doesn't develop players who are not suited to the academic standards of the CIS.   

I didn't say it was the Lions fault. I said there needs to be an adjustment in the process where by each team is afforded an opportunity to draft Junior players and remove the territorial protection. This is no different than when the territorial protection was removed from CIS players back in the day because of the lack of balance.

Actually it is quite different in that the CIS programs have funding from their schools which allows them to field their teams.   The CJFL teams rely on funding from their CFL partners.  Without that funding, the CJFL does not exist, so there would be no players to draft.

Looking at the situation from a fan viewpoint may make sense for player selection, but it doesn't solve the funding issue, and it doesn't develop players who are not suited to the academic standards of the CIS.   

I'm not sure why you are linking financial support from CFL clubs with the territorial exemption.  Why couldn't the CFL as a whole continue supporting junior football while entering all Canadian players into the draft?  I don't think the Bombers write a cheque to the Rifles while having one Brett Carter on the roster every decade in mind.  They aren't funding the Rifles to produce CFL players, they are doing it in good faith.

Actually it is quite different in that the CIS programs have funding from their schools which allows them to field their teams. The CJFL teams rely on funding from their CFL partners. Without that funding, the CJFL does not exist, so there would be no players to draft.

I'm not sure why you are linking financial support from CFL clubs with the territorial exemption. Why couldn't the CFL as a whole continue supporting junior football while entering all Canadian players into the draft? I don't think the Bombers write a cheque to the Rifles while having one Brett Carter on the roster every decade in mind. They aren't funding the Rifles to produce CFL players, they are doing it in good faith.

You know this as a fact? I'd say it's a bit of both.

Actually it is quite different in that the CIS programs have funding from their schools which allows them to field their teams. The CJFL teams rely on funding from their CFL partners. Without that funding, the CJFL does not exist, so there would be no players to draft.

I'm not sure why you are linking financial support from CFL clubs with the territorial exemption. Why couldn't the CFL as a whole continue supporting junior football while entering all Canadian players into the draft? I don't think the Bombers write a cheque to the Rifles while having one Brett Carter on the roster every decade in mind. They aren't funding the Rifles to produce CFL players, they are doing it in good faith.

You know this as a fact? I'd say it's a bit of both.

GBILL is correct, it is a bit of both.  The CFL teams financially support the CJFL primarily through 50/50 sales, which are often divided up between the junior club(s) and other levels of minor football.   It has been vocalized by several CFL people that large share flowing to junior clubs is part of the longstanding player development program that is promoted by the CJFL.  I believe that the levels of funding and the desire to develop players in practise are definitely tied to being able to protect those couple of special players that come up now and again.  

I can correctly state that the CFL clubs that take the biggest advantage of the Junior territorial exemptions are the strongest supporters of the CJFL, and they see the link as vital.   These are the clubs in western Canada, lead by the Riders who are the most supportive in dollars, and the most active in having junior players practising with their club.  The Bombers under previous management, wasn't as tuned in, and didn't know the value of the relationship.   The current management is much more supportive, and has seen the benefits that other clubs have attained.  I would suggest that you will likely see Bombers continuing to invite 4 Rifles to the rookie camp going forward in the hopes of landing the next Andrew Harris.   

The Bombers, under the current management, have worked with the Rifles to increase the knowledge of local high school coaches and players with regard to the system.   The Rifles have hosted events for the U-18 provincial team and selected High School and Midget players and coaches to let them know what their options are.  The Bomber management have attended and supported these events.  It's fairly new from a Winnipeg perspective, but it's not a secret.   It's true that if you look backwards from a Bomber perspective, you see Carter.  If you look backwards in Regina, Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver, you see much more.   The Bombers see what the other clubs do, and want to develop that relationship.

Off topic but since we are talking local boys a little. DT Lauren Kroeker of the Bisons, is he the kind of player worth a free agent look?

that would blow my mind! We went to the same school... he was such a tall skinny kid growing up... never thought I'd see him as a Bison, Never mind a Blue Bomber