Bombers @ Stamps GDT

Noeller

Pretty good post, but I don't think those stats are particularly impressive. With the lack of a running game, the Bombers were forced to rely on the passing game a lot, which obviously influences Willy's stats in a huge way. 

You do realize that this statement also supports Willy's stats as a passing QB.

It's easy to argue that because we did lack a running game, it became harder and harder to keep up a good passing game, and I think, as the year went on, that was proven.

Pretty good post, but I don't think those stats are particularly impressive. With the lack of a running game, the Bombers were forced to rely on the passing game a lot, which obviously influences Willy's stats in a huge way. 

It's easy to argue that because we did lack a running game, it became harder and harder to keep up a good passing game, and I think, as the year went on, that was proven.

I've said many times that the lack of a running game has probably contributed to Willy's lacklustre play this season.

The fact remains that the teams with the most passing yards often lack a running game. That's why it's a bit of a deceptive stat.

The fact remains that the teams with the most passing yards often lack a running game. That's why it's a bit of a deceptive stat.

The fact remains that all stats can be looked at as deceptive.

It's like Grigsby leading the CFL in rushing yards at one point, even though he had an average of -0.2 or whatever.

He simply had more attempts than anyone else.

Stats are not the driving force behind team's attacks…they are the results of choices teams make in their offensive philosophy.

Each one has to be looked at individually, and for our team, Willy's passing yardage is remarkable for a 1st year QB. and that's all that's being said.

Your right, facts are facts, so lets look at a few: Willy finished the year over 3,700 passing yards which is the best mark we've had since 2007. His completion percentage is fourth best among CFL starters, and is ahead of Bo Levi Mitchell, and his touchdown passes is tied for fifth among starters as well. You can like or dislike Drew Willy all you want, I frankly don't care, but those are impressive facts for a first year starter. Yeah it's great Marve can scramble, good for him. The name of the game at quarterback is throwing the ball. It comes first far and away above anything else, and Marve has a long way to go before he's in Willy's league in that category. I must say I find it quite amusing that Troy Smith can complete 52.6 per cent of his passes last season, and can show an ability to run as well, yet have the critics he did (and justifiably so of course) yet Robert Marve can have worse passing numbers when averaged out, can be just as reckless, yet we have a "quarterback controversy" among our genius fan base (nevermind the fact that he's only thrown 22 career passes) because of how this town always loves the #2 quarterback.

Don't get me wrong, I like Marve, and I want him to do well as he's part of our team, but he is the back-up for a reason. He is not better, nor in the same league as Drew Willy. Can he run and extend plays? Sure he can, good for him. That alone does not make him the better quarterback. Outside of Ricky Ray and Bo Levi Mitchell, there has not been a quarterback in this league the past 15 years that has been elite in his first full year as a full time starter, but there have been some good ones. Drew Willy is one of them. That's a fact whether you like it not, so get use to it. Without Drew Willy this season, this team wins no more than four games in 2014. Remember how Mike Reilly was last year? Lots of ups, lots of downs. That's life when you're a first year starter. You have to be willing to take the good with the bad. Look at how he developed in 2014 - There's no reason to doubt Willy won't continue to develop as well.

Furthermore, lets look at some games where Drew Willy held us in as best as he could despite no running game:

Week seven at home to Saskatchewan - We amass 37 yards rushing in the game and lose by six points. 

Labour Day - Grigsby runs for 68 yards and we lose by five

Banjo Bowl - Grigsby runs for 66 yards and we lose by six.

Week 14 - Grigsby runs for 42 yards and we lose by five.

These are unacceptable rushing totals, and on top of that, for anyone who knows anything about football - Second and long all game is a defensive lineman's dream. There's two very good reasons why we gave up the amount of sacks we did this year - Our offensive line and situation football. While it would be naive to think we win all four of those games with Cotton in the line-up, I have zero hesitation in saying we'd win at least two of those four, which would put us at 9-9 and in contention for a playoff berth. You look at the best teams in this league, and what do they have to go along with a good quarterback? They can run the football. We couldn't this year. With Willy and Cotton together for a full season in 2015, plus the new pieces that will be added through the draft and free agency, there's every reason to expect this team to challenge for the playoffs next year - and they'll do that with Drew Willy.

And on that note...

tumblr_m7ks165r2n1r6v2bdo4_250.gif

The gum swat should of ended this thread.

The fact remains that all stats can be looked at as deceptive.

It's like Grigsby leading the CFL in rushing yards at one point, even though he had an average of -0.2 or whatever.

He simply had more attempts than anyone else.

Stats are not the driving force behind team's attacks…they are the results of choices teams make in their offensive philosophy.

Each one has to be looked at individually, and for our team, Willy's passing yardage is remarkable for a 1st year QB. and that's all that's being said.

I agree that all stats can be deceptive, but it's all about context. Willy has made the third-most pass attempts in the league this year, and consequently, has had the second-most passing yards. Makes sense.

I'm not saying his passing yards totals are bad. I just don't think they're as impressive as some people are making them out to be.

meant as a compliment 17/85. 

grigsby had supporters, including me

But it's kind of like giving a compliment to a guy for predicting that the sun was going to rise every morning. Seeing Cotton was better than Grigsby and that Sears is a straight up play maker who makes s defense better isn't rocket surgery, anyone with a pair of eyes could see it. 

Blue Game notes:

- Speaking of Sears..how many fumble recoveries did he have? 2 for sure, maybe 3. Another strong performance.

- Bombers win the turnover battle for the 1st time in 9 games, and we win….hmm, coincidence?

- Rare Bomber and Jet win on the same day.

Chris Randle@ChrisRandle_Ad Retweeted by Wpg Blue BombersI Love My Team. #BelieveInBlue

​- Bombers, only 6 penalties, of which 2 were…questionable. ( The pass interference, negating an interception, and the Interference call on Washington negating a big sack)

​- Ian Wild punctuates his stellar play this year with a season ending pounding hit…and it was clean (for the naysayers)

Matthias Goossen ‏@MatthiasjGoose 3h3 hours ago

First cfl season officially in the books. Even though the end result was not what we wanted, there is no team I would rather battle with!!!

-Matthias Goossen ‏@MatthiasjGoose 3h3 hours ago

Also, there are no other fans that I would rather play for. I have loved playing in IGF and in front of the bomber faithful on road games.

- That was some smile on MOS after the game ending hit…appreciation.

- Harlan, Hickman, good debuts. Good game by the bookend Booker.

- More proof that the Kuale card doesn't have to be played…anymore.

- Goosen was involved, Greaves has to get more involved. Daniels will be back.

- Was mildly impressed with the way Portis handled himself, under those conditions…on the sideline.

- Two plays stick out….Watson's excellent block on STs  and Marve's scramble and toss to Denmark for 40 yards…yeah baby!

Conversely, teams running wild against us made it easier to pass.

Why doesn't O'Shea see this simple reasoning?

Blue Game notes:

- Speaking of Sears..how many fumble recoveries did he have? 2 for sure, maybe 3. Another strong performance.

- Bombers win the turnover battle for the 1st time in 9 games, and we win….hmm, coincidence?

- Chris Randle@ChrisRandle_Ad Retweeted by Wpg Blue BombersI Love My Team. #BelieveInBlue

​- Bombers, only 6 penalties, of which 2 were…questionable. ( The pass interference, negating an interception, and the Interference call on Washington negating a big sack)

​- Ian Wild punctuates his stellar play this year with a season ending pounding hit…and it was clean (for the naysayers)

- Matthias Goossen ‏@MatthiasjGoose 3h3 hours ago

First cfl season officially in the books. Even though the end result was not what we wanted, there is no team I would rather battle with!!!

Also, there are no other fans that I would rather play for. I have loved playing in IGF and in front of the bomber faithful on road games.

- Was mildly impressed with the way Portis handled himself, under those conditions…on the sideline.

- Two plays stick out….Watson's excellent block on STs and Marve's scramble and toss to Denmark for 40 yards…yeah baby!

Portis? What did he do on the sidelines?

Blue Game notes:

- Chris Randle@ChrisRandle_Ad Retweeted by Wpg Blue BombersI Love My Team. #BelieveInBlue

​- Bombers, only 6 penalties, of which 2 were…questionable. ( The pass interference, negating an interception, and the Interference call on Washington negating a big sack)

​- Ian Wild punctuates his stellar play this year with a season ending pounding hit…and it was clean (for the naysayers)

- Matthias Goossen ‏@MatthiasjGoose 3h3 hours ago

- Two plays stick out….Watson's excellent block on STs and Marve's scramble and toss to Denmark for 40 yards…yeah baby!

Portis was in complete command of masterful restraint.

Portis was in complete command of masterful restraint.

Exactly, and he handled that parka well…with no problems.

Besides, that's all I could mention of him as there was no way he was getting in that game.  :)