Winnipeg Mayoral Election

Well, don't know anything at all about Bowman living here in Calgary but I'm glad Wasylicia-Leis didn't win. We don't need opportunistic career politicians who  jump from provincial to federal & back to local politics over the decades running the city. Like Steve Ashton, who was already a career politician at the U of M back in the late 70's as Student Union President when I was a student there, has she done anything else in her life to hold a job? I'm sure that she has some really nice pension money she's taking now unlike most of us.

I don't have a prob with so called career politicians. They are elected by the people. If the people think its time to move on they vote them out.

Well, don't know anything at all about Bowman living here in Calgary but I'm glad Wasylicia-Leis didn't win. We don't need opportunistic career politicians who  jump from provincial to federal & back to local politics over the decades running the city. Like Steve Ashton, who was already a career politician at the U of M back in the late 70's as Student Union President when I was a student there, has she done anything else in her life to hold a job? I'm sure that she has some really nice pension money she's taking now unlike most of us.

I don't have a prob with so called career politicians. They are elected by the people. If the people think its time to move on they vote them out.

Too true.  Our local school trustee looked like he'd keep winning his seat until he retired.  A lady who volunteers in the schools decided to run against him.  She ran an excellent campaign and lost by only 35 votes last election.  This time around she beat him by a by over 300 votes.  

There are plenty of career politicians from all political parties. What difference does it really make.

Someone like Wasylicia-Leis, Ashton & the Conservative loser from Calgary Rob Anders should find a real job to buy a clue. In Anders case that may just be the case.

Having had a "real job" doesn't mean a politician has a clue.

There are plenty of career politicians from all political parties. What difference does it really make.

Someone like Wasylicia-Leis, Ashton & the Conservative loser from Calgary Rob Anders should find a real job to buy a clue. In Anders case that may just be the case.

Having had a "real job" doesn't mean a politician has a clue.

Au contraire. I think it does. Most people don't have the income, perks & benefits/retirement packages politicians have. I think if you are a career politician especially one who has never worked at anything else in their lives except politics then they get very insulated from the world outside City Hall, legislature or parliament. They certainly can't relate to the majority of Canadians, I believe. 

I think it works both ways.  Someone who got a job sweeping floors when they were 14 and worked their way through live and various jobs and careers and then enters politics isnt a guarantee to be a great leader or do whats best for the working class.  And someone like Judy could have a really great understanding of the common person.  But in Judy's specific case, she actually does seem out of touch and she does seem like someone serving her political masters and collecting pensions.

Everytime she claimed to love Winnipeg and wanted to make Winnipeg better, I didnt believe her.  Not one bit.  Now personally, the PST hike hasnt impacted me one iota.  But her dismissal of it was glaring.  And now you see part of the fall-out where the long knives are out in the NDP party.  MLA's are tripping over each other to distance themselves from Selinger and the PST. 

As far as taxes go, I would have been fine if the feds and never reduced the GST either.  To me it's a significant revenue generator that is spread out so much that it's a small price to pay for a large benefit.  I'd much rather have significant income tax reductions.  Thats why I am open to Bowman's City Sales Tax idea.  I'd save money by not paying a Property Tax and paying 3% sales tax.

Really, they should get rid of income tax altogether at both levels of government and rely on sales, user and sin taxes.

I like the city sales taxe idea. People who live outside wpg for the cheaper taxes but want to come here to shop should have to pay their fair share.

I like it too. It gives me a good reason to not have to go to Winnipeg to shop for anything with my wife :)  I'm sure businesses in Steinbach, Selkirk, and Portage are in favor of it as well.

I like the city sales taxe idea. People who live outside wpg for the cheaper taxes but want to come here to shop should have to pay their fair share.

I like it too. It gives me a good reason to not have to go to Winnipeg to shop for anything with my wife :)  I'm sure businesses in Steinbach, Selkirk, and Portage are in favor of it as well.

It would only happen province-wide. 

Selinger holding a presser at 4 today.  He has been taking a lot of heat since Judy got crushed... many in the NDP are scared that people hate Selinger and want him to step down.  Could be interesting.

But probably won't be.

Many people would be correct.

Such richness coming from these clowns.  They trip over each other to distance themselves from the PST hike now but where were they a year ago?  More to the point why did they continue to support these NDP budgets that put the province in the position of "needing" a tax hike.  And why didnt they come out sooner and accuse Selinger of lying?  And he absolutely lied.  He campaigned on no tax increase.  He deserves what he gets.  These things can go either way.  A party in peril changes leaders and just keeps going under.  One can hope.

Well I'm pretty sure the mayor of Winnipeg doesn't have the power to instituate a provincial sales tax.  Also, we already have one of those that was recently raised.

But seriously, am I misinformed on what a city sales tax would be, and why people think it would be a good idea?  How is it different than the PST, which everyone is still mad about the NDPs raising?

I like it too. It gives me a good reason to not have to go to Winnipeg to shop for anything with my wife :) I'm sure businesses in Steinbach, Selkirk, and Portage are in favor of it as well.

have fun shopping at Saan. I'm sure you'll look good in a cache creek sweat shirt.

I like it too. It gives me a good reason to not have to go to Winnipeg to shop for anything with my wife :) I'm sure businesses in Steinbach, Selkirk, and Portage are in favor of it as well.

Well I'm pretty sure the mayor of Winnipeg doesn't have the power to instituate a provincial sales tax. Also, we already have one of those that was recently raised.

But seriously, am I misinformed on what a city sales tax would be, and why people think it would be a good idea? How is it different than the PST, which everyone is still mad about the NDPs raising?

It's a better way to distribute taxes among the people that depend on Winnipeg even though they don't live here. People that live slightly outside the city and pay no city taxes but come here and use the infrastructure get taxed when they shop eat out etc. The tax isn't province wise, its collected by the province. Residents taxes are reduced by the extra taxes collected though the sales taxes. I like it because consumption taxes affect those who consume the most. I also like the fact that people that don't live in Winnipeg proper but come here often will be chipping in for the infrastructure that they are using. Of course it is total bullshit if residential taxes aren't reduced by the amount the new tax generates.

Selinger holding a presser at 4 today.  He has been taking a lot of heat since Judy got crushed... many in the NDP are scared that people hate Selinger and want him to step down.  Could be interesting.

But probably won't be.

Such richness coming from these clowns.  They trip over each other to distance themselves from the PST hike now but where were they a year ago?  More to the point why did they continue to support these NDP budgets that put the province in the position of "needing" a tax hike.  And why didnt they come out sooner and accuse Selinger of lying?  And he absolutely lied.  He campaigned on no tax increase.  He deserves what he gets.  These things can go either way.  A party in peril changes leaders and just keeps going under.  One can hope.

Here's an article from Gordon Sinclair about how there was internal NDP dissent & anger over the PST 16 months ago.  I'm curious as to why he hadn't mentioned anything about this prior to now.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/oswalds-stabbing-words-280887752.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-4

Well I'm pretty sure the mayor of Winnipeg doesn't have the power to instituate a provincial sales tax.  Also, we already have one of those that was recently raised.

But seriously, am I misinformed on what a city sales tax would be, and why people think it would be a good idea?  How is it different than the PST, which everyone is still mad about the NDPs raising?

Correct, the Mayor does not have the power but he would ask the province to institute it.  But it would be a tax that was collected province-wide, administered by the province but the money collected would go directly to the city's, towns, etc that it was collected in.

The reason it would only happen province wide is for the reason mentioned - if it was only Winnipeg, people would shop outside the city.  Plus, other cities and towns would benefit too.

Bowman's idea was to eliminate residential property taxes and charge a 3% or 4% sales tax.  For people like me, I'd spend less per year in taxes.  The criticism is that it would impact low income people the most.  But mechanisms would be built in to account for that.

Its a fairer way to collect taxes.  Right now, the burden is on homeowners to pay for many services everyone uses.

But probably won't be.

Here's an article from Gordon Sinclair about how there was internal NDP dissent & anger over the PST 16 months ago.  I'm curious as to why he hadn't mentioned anything about this prior to now.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/oswalds-stabbing-words-280887752.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-4

I'm certainly no fan of the NDP or the PST hike, but after reading Sinclair articles in which I am familiar with the story and background and seeing how he twists it to suit whatever agenda or story telling he wants to present, I put zero faith and credibility into anything he writes.

I usually don't either but unless he's 100% lying in this case, then a high-profile cabinet minister made public statements against the PST hike to a member of the media a long time ago.   That being said, it's not like she held a press conference (like they have been doing lately) so in once sense I'm not suprised it wasn't mentioned before now but I'm still curious as to why Sinclair would have sat on that for so long.  God knows he's not above stirring the pot.

Well I'm pretty sure the mayor of Winnipeg doesn't have the power to instituate a provincial sales tax. Also, we already have one of those that was recently raised.

But seriously, am I misinformed on what a city sales tax would be, and why people think it would be a good idea? How is it different than the PST, which everyone is still mad about the NDPs raising?

Correct, the Mayor does not have the power but he would ask the province to institute it. But it would be a tax that was collected province-wide, administered by the province but the money collected would go directly to the city's, towns, etc that it was collected in.

The reason it would only happen province wide is for the reason mentioned - if it was only Winnipeg, people would shop outside the city. Plus, other cities and towns would benefit too.

Bowman's idea was to eliminate residential property taxes and charge a 3% or 4% sales tax. For people like me, I'd spend less per year in taxes. The criticism is that it would impact low income people the most. But mechanisms would be built in to account for that.

Its a fairer way to collect taxes. Right now, the burden is on homeowners to pay for many services everyone uses.

not just home owners.

I usually don't either but unless he's 100% lying in this case, then a high-profile cabinet minister made public statements against the PST hike to a member of the media a long time ago.   That being said, it's not like she held a press conference (like they have been doing lately) so in once sense I'm not suprised it wasn't mentioned before now but I'm still curious as to why Sinclair would have sat on that for so long.  God knows he's not above stirring the pot.

The way it was said and where it was said makes it a more off the record remark.  Im sure media get information all the time that they cant run with.  But it would certainly have sparked a lot further questioning and investigation by any reasonably qualified reporter.

have fun shopping at Saan. I'm sure you'll look good in a cache creek sweat shirt.

Sadly, we haven't had a Saan in Steinbach for a while now. :(

Correct, the Mayor does not have the power but he would ask the province to institute it.  But it would be a tax that was collected province-wide, administered by the province but the money collected would go directly to the city's, towns, etc that it was collected in.

The reason it would only happen province wide is for the reason mentioned - if it was only Winnipeg, people would shop outside the city.  Plus, other cities and towns would benefit too.

Bowman's idea was to eliminate residential property taxes and charge a 3% or 4% sales tax.  For people like me, I'd spend less per year in taxes.  The criticism is that it would impact low income people the most.  But mechanisms would be built in to account for that.

Its a fairer way to collect taxes.  Right now, the burden is on homeowners to pay for many services everyone uses.

I would be pretty annoyed if I had to start paying an extra sales tax in Steinbach because the idiots in Winnipeg can't run their city properly.  We're doing fine here. Unless all the money would go to a new arena of course.

I would be pretty annoyed if I had to start paying an extra sales tax in Steinbach because the idiots in Winnipeg can't run their city properly.  We're doing fine here. Unless all the money would go to a new arena of course.

Why would you be annoyed?  You wouldnt pay property tax either.  And your community would reap the rewards.

Its like the tax cuts announced today.  I *get* what the opposition are saying but tax cuts that benefit families are good.  I dont care if they *only* benefit middle class families and dont benefit the single parents out there.  You cant please everyone.  I'd prefer they cut my income tax significantly.  One day I hope they will.  But good on the Cons for keeping their promises to cut tax.  And LOL to the opposition for declaring that they will reverse tax cuts.