SNL Discussion (Split Topic)

Logan007

I find Melissa McCarthy un-freaking-bearable.  Can't stand her.  The fact that so many people seem to adore that movie makes me seriously question our society.

I can't tell if people like her because she's comfortable in her own skin and overlook the fact her acting is suspect, or if it's that her characters that bother me, and I should give her more chances.... I don't know.  Her face gets plastered everywhere (good for her...)  but I just can't stand her!  Oi vey. 

I find Melissa McCarthy un-freaking-bearable.  Can't stand her.  The fact that so many people seem to adore that movie makes me seriously question our society.

I can't tell if people like her because she's comfortable in her own skin and overlook the fact her acting is suspect, or if it's that her characters that bother me, and I should give her more chances.... I don't know.  Her face gets plastered everywhere (good for her...)  but I just can't stand her!  Oi vey. 

her appeal can be summed up in this simple sentence "They love it when fatty falls down"

Bridesmaids was such a piece of ****, and saved only by Melissa McCarthy being as filthy as she is...

large.gif

I loved Bridesmaids! Especially the scene in the bridal store and when Kirsten Wiig was plastered and caused a scene on the plane - "STOVE" what kind of a name is that? HA HAA

This scene was classic too:

it's an atrocious movie. That scene where Wiig and the other broad are trying to one-up each other with the toasts....I couldn't watch that because it was SO uncomfortable. So horrible. The only redeeming thing in that movie is McCarthy being just disgusting, and even that's only a little bit funny. 

McCarthy really is the female Chris Farley....Farley did the SAME humour, and people worshipped him for it (...still do...)

it's an atrocious movie. That scene where Wiig and the other broad are trying to one-up each other with the toasts....I couldn't watch that because it was SO uncomfortable. So horrible. The only redeeming thing in that movie is McCarthy being just disgusting, and even that's only a little bit funny.

LOL - to each their own. When I saw it in the theatre I had Mrs. KBF elbowing me in the ribs because I was laughing too loud. Jill Clayburgh's lines were classic!

I still laugh uproariously when I see these scenes, though I have seen them a hundred times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxyWUywYis

McCarthy really is the female Chris Farley....Farley did the SAME humour, and people worshipped him for it (...still do...)

Well when he did it he was funny. He also had a straight man in a lot of his movies, like David Spade in Tommy Boy. That helped.

My wife and I hated Bridesmaids.  The whole movie felt uncomfortable and unfunny in the worst way.

I don't think I could compare Farley with McCarthy.  At least not the McCarthy in the movies, she's just filthy.  Farley was at least a bit funnier in his SNL bits.

I find McCarthy's acting in movies just as uncomfortable as I find Zach Galifianakis when he's in any movie.  One plays it loud, the other plays it more on the quiet side, but both are just as obnoxious and stupid as the other.  I know I just opened up a can of worms because so many people love him, but I find him so unfunny, yet he's shows up in movies all the time.  I don't get it.

The best thing Zach Galifianakis ever did was Out Cold and it's probably because he doesn't act like Zach Galifianakis in it. I really don't like the McCarthy and Farley comparisons either, there was a difference between the two even if I can't exactly put my finger on it. 

As far as recent years go, Andy Samberg and Bill Hader were amazing.

I liked the sketches with Kenan Thompson as the convict scaring teens straight with stories that end up being movie plots.

A few individual sketches I liked were one with Bill Hader as a gruff military vet making puppets,.Zach Galifianakis being very particular about the bidet in his hotel room and Harry Potter (the actor, not the character) being in a game of spin the bottle that saw random homeless people spontaneously join the game.

Also, like several others, couldn't stand Kristin Wiig on SNL.  Instant fast forward right there.

The difference between farley mccarthy and the new bigger girl who is pretty funny  regardless if she plays the same role most times, that's what all good comedians do really ,find a niche and then roll with it, but the difference is.. Farley for as funny as he was, was a huge drug addict. That's the real only difference. They are all the same, they all play the same roles in every skit movie etc, they were all the "fat person"... sometimes that fat person is pretty damn funny just being themselves. 

As far as recent years go, Andy Samberg and Bill Hader were amazing.

I liked the sketches with Kenan Thompson as the convict scaring teens straight with stories that end up being movie plots.

A few individual sketches I liked were one with Bill Hader as a gruff military vet making puppets,.Zach Galifianakis being very particular about the bidet in his hotel room and Harry Potter (the actor, not the character) being in a game of spin the bottle that saw random homeless people spontaneously join the game.

Also, like several others, couldn't stand Kristin Wiig on SNL.  Instant fast forward right there.

I like Andy Samberg, but not from SNL.  I never watched much but the stuff I did pretty much sucked.  I do however like Andy Samberg in some of his movies as well as Brooklyn Nine Nine.  I think that's where he shines.

And as dumb as it was, I really liked Hot Rod:

Andy Samberg on SNL was just a rip off of Adam Sandler, Same stuff, even look the same, Hell samberg played sandlers kid even in "That's My Boy". 

He had his funny moments but most of his funny moments from SNL were down in the past by Adam Sandler. Seriously, First time i saw Samberg, i was like oh wow they got a younger adam sandler, had no idea who he was, then a few skits went by and i was like holy crap, this guy is ripping off Adam Sandler. 

The difference between farley mccarthy and the new bigger girl who is pretty funny  regardless if she plays the same role most times, that's what all good comedians do really ,find a niche and then roll with it, but the difference is.. Farley for as funny as he was, was a huge drug addict. That's the real only difference. They are all the same, they all play the same roles in every skit movie etc, they were all the "fat person"... sometimes that fat person is pretty damn funny just being themselves. 

That's what lazy comedians do. The good ones can be funny in a variety of different ways. I think in Farleys case he really did get typecast way too much. The man had his problems in life but he was a hell of a talent 

That's what lazy comedians do. The good ones can be funny in a variety of different ways. I think in Farleys case he really did get typecast way too much. The man had his problems in life but he was a hell of a talent 

Was he? What roles did he play other than the funny fat guy doing pratfalls?

I thought he was hillarious, but there wasn't a lot of depth to anything he did.

Farley was brilliant...that he had the respect of everyone he worked with speaks volumes. He wasn't just funny, but a fantastic actor. Those two things are rarely seen together, but Farley had it in spades. Shame about the demons...

• 3 weeks later...