SNL Discussion (Split Topic)

Logan007

Devin Tyler, when in game shape, is a pretty serviceable OT

2937630.gif

Completely off-topic (obviously) but Andy Samberg's impression of Nick Cage is probably the best thing to come out of SNL over the past 10-15 years!

Not to derail the thread but this is massively false...

Exactly.  Nothing good has come out of SNL in the past 10-15 years.

2937630.gif

Completely off-topic (obviously) but Andy Samberg's impression of Nick Cage is probably the best thing to come out of SNL over the past 10-15 years!

speaking of things that are massively false.... This past season sucked hard, but prior to that the cast was pretty ******* good and did a lot of really funny sketches.

2937630.gif

speaking of things that are massively false.... This past season sucked hard, but prior to that the cast was pretty ******* good and did a lot of really funny sketches.

Said no one ever.

;)

2937630.gif

Exactly. Nothing good has come out of SNL in the past 10-15 years.

Said no one ever.

;)

Fact: Chris Farley doing Chippendales dance with Patrick Swayze was the best SNL skit ever.

2937630.gif

Said no one ever.

;)

Really!?!

2937630.gif

Said no one ever.

;)

Really!?!

I dunno, I never watch it.  :D

Best seasons for me was when Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Jon Lovitz, Mike Myers, etc... were on the show.  I never got to watch the original cast or the Eddie Murphy era, but I watched clips and those were good too.  Everything after the Phil, Dana, Mike, era was just crap with few skits here and there that were funny.  Like the More Cowbell one.

Absolutely. Other than this past season, it was at it's best since the Will Ferrell years. Digital shorts were some of the best work SNL has ever had.

This song about the US gov't shutdown was fantastic...

Absolutely. Other than this past season, it was at it's best since the Will Ferrell years. Digital shorts were some of the best work SNL has ever had.

This song about the US gov't shutdown was fantastic...

The humour in that video escapes me.

That's the problem I had with that sketch. Not familiar with the source material so the song parody falls flat because of it. I enjoyed it on some levels because of the government shut down, but song parodies work so much better when you actually know the song that is being parodied.

Even last year wasn't that bad. Kate McKinnon, Vanessa Bayer, Cecily Strong and Kenan Thompson save everything they're in...

McKinnon and Thompson for sure. I'm not 100% sold on the other two though. "What's up with that" was good stuff.

This year is Thompson's last.

I have a ridiculous crush on Vanessa Bayer...no idea why #TooManyTeeth  But she is a REALLY funny chick. The ladies on the show right now are the funniest collection they've had since Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, Cheri Oteri, etc...

Even last year wasn't that bad. Kate McKinnon, Vanessa Bayer, Cecily Strong and Kenan Thompson save everything they're in...

McKinnon and Thompson for sure. I'm not 100% sold on the other two though. "What's up with that" was good stuff.

I disagree.  Keenan's still living off his knuckle puck role in the Mighty Ducks movies

apparently those reports weren't true and he might not leave. 

I have a ridiculous crush on Vanessa Bayer...no idea why #TooManyTeeth  But she is a REALLY funny chick. The ladies on the show right now are the funniest collection they've had since Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, Cheri Oteri, etc...

She plays the same character in most skits. She's just ok imo.

Disgree re eras of woman. Fey, Pohler, Dratch, & Rudolph was the best era for women on SNL. Kristen Wiig is great too, but she came in at the end of that era. I never got the appeal of Molly Shannon. I found her annoying more than funny.

apparently those reports weren't true and he might not leave. 

That's good. I'm a fan.

There's always some worthwhile stuff and a lot of crap, but this past season had a very low good to crap ratio. 

SNL has a couple of problems that keeps the show from reaching it's potential.  Recurring sketches that were average the first time, sketches that run 8 to 10 minutes after using up all the jokes by the 3 minute mark, guest hosts that have zero comedic timing.  The cast however has been pretty good over the last 15 years.  There is always some dead weight like Chris Katan, but for every one of him there is also an absolute gem.  The new season has Michael Che working the weekend update desk.   He will be fantastic.

I have a ridiculous crush on Vanessa Bayer...no idea why #TooManyTeeth But she is a REALLY funny chick. The ladies on the show right now are the funniest collection they've had since Molly Shannon, Ana Gasteyer, Cheri Oteri, etc...

She plays the same character in most skits. She's just ok imo.

Disgree re eras of woman. Fey, Pohler, Dratch, & Rudolph was the best era for women on SNL. Kristen Wiig is great too, but she came in at the end of that era. I never got the appeal of Molly Shannon. I found her annoying more than funny.

Ya this is one of those things we have to disagree on. Can't stand the Fey/Poehler love and am Luke warm on Wiig, at best. It's hipster humour, I think. Molly Shannon was incredible... Comes from the same school of comedy as Ferrell where it's "absolutely anything for a laugh". Fearless woman.

The new season has Michael Che working the weekend update desk.   He will be fantastic.

Jon Stewart has a pretty good record of hiring funny people. Not many people go on to fail after leaving his show.

Funny and smart.  Being quick on your feet AND intelligent seem to be just as important job requirements as the funny.  Which they all are.

Ya this is one of those things we have to disagree on. Can't stand the Fey/Poehler love and am Luke warm on Wiig, at best. It's hipster humour, I think. Molly Shannon was incredible... Comes from the same school of comedy as Ferrell where it's "absolutely anything for a laugh". Fearless woman.

From what I've read from you, "hipster" is used to describe anything you don't like...