Argos Release Johnson, Sinkfield and Dwight Anderson

Mr Dee

I just do not understand, with so many corporate head quarters in Toronto how can they not find an owner who actually gives a **** about that franchise?

The last owner that truly loved the Argonauts was John Candy, we'll probably never see an owner with the same passion.

However I should point out that Tanenbaum has tried a couple of times to bring the Argos into the MLSE umbrella (he believes that's the only way it would work). The first 2 times Richard Peddie convinced the teachers board not to and now it seems as though Rogers is nixing it this time.

Argos are cutting all of their marketing staff too.  Also read today that the Argos coaches are amongst the lowest paid in the league.  Lots of cost cutting going on with the Argos. 

It wasn't cheap paying Mark Cohon, buying Ricky Ray, and that 100th Grey Cup, even for Braley.  ;-)

Hopefully this is the end of Dwight Anderson in the league...

It's too bad really.  He is a talented guy and, believe it or not, a pretty personable and likeable guy of the field.  He is wired a bit differently and has forever had trouble fitting in long with any given team.  If he can be kept under wraps he is still a really solid player with a love of playing.

While I'm not a fan of Madani's at all and usually don't pay attention to what he says, if this is true it has me very concerned.

https://twitter.com/ArashMadani

Arash Madani @ArashMadani  ·  2h
Bad, bad scene emerging with the #Argos scene and the financial ways under the present Braley regime. #CFL

#Argos source: "Owner is cheap as ($*). We got no bodies left. It's a joke. We practiced at three different locations last week."

#Argos source: "Meeting rooms at facility can't fit the team.We have curtains as dividers." Can't spend to bring NFL cuts w/ #CFL experience

Reading the tea leaves, if present #Argos ownership/leadership continues, my belief is Scott Milanovich won't return as head coach. #CFL

Arash Madani @ArashMadani  ·  1h
The #Argos are operating like the Renegades, straight outta ownership from "Major League." #CFL has not stepped in. Bad look everywhere.

Privately, Mark Cohon has told people that David Braley is not a good #Argos owner. Let's see if the #CFL commissioner acts before leaving.

But ultimately, if David Braley throws the #Argos keys on the table, who will own the franchise? There's the biggest issue of all. #CFL

Braley is probably losing too much money to handle with 2 teams of questionable attendance. Small wonder they keep giving him Grey Cup games to try and re-coup losses. They need to find someone to buy that team because one guy owning two teams is just stupid. I'll never question Braleys commitment to the CFL, he is another guy who has lost a lot of money to keep teams in this league going no matter what else I say about him. 

Braley is probably losing too much money to handle with 2 teams of questionable attendance. Small wonder they keep giving him Grey Cup games to try and re-coup losses. They need to find someone to buy that team because one guy owning two teams is just stupid. I'll never question Braleys commitment to the CFL, he is another guy who has lost a lot of money to keep teams in this league going no matter what else I say about him. 

In the CFL, being a committed owner is the bar that has been set for being a good owner.

Hopefully someday in the future we'll be able to say that being a good owner is the standard for being a good owner.

Problem is, who is that someone ?

There's a reason why the league allowed Braley to have the team in the first place.

There's a reason why the league allowed Braley to have the team in the first place.

Find them! there's so much money in Toronto and Southern Ontario the league has to do a sell job to someone and convince them that owning the team is for the greater good. Hell work hard on MLSE and get them under that umbrella if that's what it takes. I refuse to believe that there is no one in that area willing to own the team. 

Find them! there's so much money in Toronto and Southern Ontario the league has to do a sell job to someone and convince them that owning the team is for the greater good. Hell work hard on MLSE and get them under that umbrella if that's what it takes. I refuse to believe that there is no one in that area willing to own the team. 

I highly doubt that the League hasn't been trying since Cynamon and Sokolowski owned the team.

Commissioner Cohon has stated many times that they're still working/talking with MLSE, which doesn't seem to have done much, although Braley should take some of the blame there, MLSE reportedly offered $8 million in December and Braley said no thanks (he wanted $20 million originally).

I highly doubt that the League hasn't been trying since Cynamon and Sokolowski owned the team.

Commissioner Cohon has stated many times that they're still working/talking with MLSE, which doesn't seem to have done much, although Braley should take some of the blame there, MLSE reportedly offered $8 million in December and Braley said no thanks (he wanted $20 million originally).

Braley is a successful businessman, he can't be that stoopid.

Frigging Braley.He may be a "caretaker" but he's killing that team. I've been saying for 2 years that he should get rid of the Argos as owner. Mark Cohon do something? Cohon is Braley's puppet. Millanovich not back next year because he's fired or he quits?

Honestly, The Jets draw more people to the MTS centre than the argos do to the skydome, I don't blame braley one bit for being "cheap". You ain't making money on that team, why would you spend more? 

The Argos, similar to the Lions, do fairly well with regional television ratings (suggesting an appetite for CFL football).  Personally I believe that both teams suffer from inappropriate sized and designed venues.  The Argos should be in a venue around the size of Landsdowne or TH Field.  This will make them a "hot" ticket again.

Honestly, The Jets draw more people to the MTS centre than the argos do to the skydome, I don't blame braley one bit for being "cheap". You ain't making money on that team, why would you spend more? 

The Argos, similar to the Lions, do fairly well with regional television ratings (suggesting an appetite for CFL football).  Personally I believe that both teams suffer from inappropriate sized and designed venues.  The Argos should be in a venue around the size of Landsdowne or TH Field.  This will make them a "hot" ticket again.

our resident Argo fan around here (though I haven't seen him around much this year) swears that the location is just crap for the Argo fans out there. I'd be inclined to believe it. I think the big issue with the skydome isn't the size, it's the fact that the Argos are the unwanted tenant who can't get their choice of dates and times and it's in a location that is too much of a chore for a lot of fans to get to. If you want people to get to your stadium for a game you have to put the games at times when it makes sense for your fanbase and make it easy for them to get to and from the game. 

Toronto and Vancouver are big cities with lots of other things to do.  A lot of people from all over the world, most of them don't even know what Football is and they certainly haven't grown up following the home team like folks on the prairies do.  Toronto wants to be New York and they will only support what they consider the best football league, the NFL, not the second rate homey CFL.  Even then, I expect they will only support a winner.  

Finding an owner or group of owners who want to lose money owning the Argos is a very tough job indeed.  Changing Torontonians minds about the CFL is an almost impossible job, yet the CFL has to do it to survive.

our resident Argo fan around here (though I haven't seen him around much this year) swears that the location is just crap for the Argo fans out there. I'd be inclined to believe it. I think the big issue with the skydome isn't the size, it's the fact that the Argos are the unwanted tenant who can't get their choice of dates and times and it's in a location that is too much of a chore for a lot of fans to get to. If you want people to get to your stadium for a game you have to put the games at times when it makes sense for your fanbase and make it easy for them to get to and from the game. 

Last time I was staying in downtown Toronto (just down the street from the dome) it was pretty much a ghost town come evening.  A couple of bars were open, a few scattered souls on the street, and nothing else really going on.  And the rush hour traffic is insane.  After fighting for 2 hours to get home, I wouldn't want to load up the family and head back into downtown either.

Toronto and Vancouver are big cities with lots of other things to do.  A lot of people from all over the world, most of them don't even know what Football is and they certainly haven't grown up following the home team like folks on the prairies do.  Toronto wants to be New York and they will only support what they consider the best football league, the NFL, not the second rate homey CFL.  Even then, I expect they will only support a winner.  

Finding an owner or group of owners who want to lose money owning the Argos is a very tough job indeed.  Changing Torontonians minds about the CFL is an almost impossible job, yet the CFL has to do it to survive.

Luckily Toronto is so big that they only have to find a small percentage of rubes to make a go of it. And they haven't even been able to do that.

I have to think that if they can get into a smaller, outdoor stadium somewhere fun for people to go to, they can be just as well off as any other eastern team. Not like that's a high bar anyways.

Luckily Toronto is so big that they only have to find a small percentage of rubes to make a go of it. And they haven't even been able to do that.

I have to think that if they can get into a smaller, outdoor stadium somewhere fun for people to go to, they can be just as well off as any other eastern team. Not like that's a high bar anyways.

The best answer for the Argonauts would be a smaller stadium designed around football and soccer teams- they're just lost in the Skydome. When the Alouettes returned to Montreal, one of the smartest moves they made was to avoid the Big Owe and over to McGill. That sort of thing ought to work in Toronto with a decent team and a bit of marketing.

HMM, that 1960's mentality of people who live in "smaller cities" is alive and well still. Pretty obvious who doesn't go to games in Winnipeg.

Fact is, Vancouver and Toronto are not sports cities, they are very much bandwagon cities, They only care when there teams are good and or winning, Winnipeg is not like that at all, We are a better sports city, we might even be the best sports city in the entire country.. 

Goldeyes,Bombers,Jets all play on the same day.. you are gonna have 7000 at the baseball game, you will have 15,000 + at MTS centre, You will have 30,000 + at IGF..

It's happend before where they all played on the same day and drew sellouts or damn near sellouts to each of their games. 

Bigger cities have more things to do? Lol, like what? go to bars? restaraunts? movies? sports events? what? go to the beach? we got beaches too... Seriously, besides more people, which doesn't always mean better, what the hell does vancouver and Toronto have that other smaller cities don't? 

It's not about how many people and to be honest, it isn't even about where those people come from, cuz Little old Winnipeg is the culturally diverse capital of Canada, means we got people of all shapes sizes colours and races, We got the highest french population outside of Quebec and If you go to a baseball,hockey or football game here, you see people of all shapes sizes race and colours. 

Comes down to  what i said at the start... Vancouver and Toronto are not good sports cities, Winnipeg is.