Unvarnished and Unwashed Weekly CFL Predictions - Week 4

Yup, going with this stuff 4 games into a season is asking for trouble....but here goes

Toronto at RedBlacks

Argos coming off a thump against the Stamps.   No Durie, and now no Owens...leave Ricardo with a shortage of playmkers and some struggles for usual YAC..  RB's offence has slowed down, somewhat...since debut quarter against the Bombers.  However TO is no slam dunk on D....If Henry can strap it on, early....Redblacks may, or just might have that first win......by 3.

Hamilton at Calgary

Even without Cornish, this one does not look good on paper.....however, a closer second look....ok,  really doesn't look much better.  Masoli gets the nod at QB....with a swinging door OL and no run game.  Unless the Stamps go into total Bunkhouse mode, two points await....by say 13.

Montreal at BC.

Als D is pretty good.  So is Harris.  Whoever gets the best of that matchup may make the difference.  Glenn is steadier than Smith.  Smith has more big-play potential.   Penalties and turnovers will enable one of these teams to win by 7.  In this case...BC at home.

Edmonton at Winnipeg

Clash of the Titans, Battle of the Overlords,  Showdown for Supremacy, in short....a do or die situation, to determine top-o-league standings.  The fact that it is the Esks and Bombers.....just adds some flavor, to this young season.   Moes do it on D - aggressive, hard-hitting, good pass rush.  Bombers have the CFL's top offense.  This will be a battle of will...and in-game adjustments.  Bombers have pass pro and penalty issues to clean up, from last week....while Edmonton's O has been a passenger, most of the way.  This game will be won or lost in the trenches, physically....and the abillity of the coaching staffs to adapt and adjust.  A full house at IGF (no excuses accepted) should help the Bombers crush Edmonton....by, uh 7.

This is a tough week to call, cept for the Ti-Cats and Stampeders.

With Toronto at Ottawa, this is a critical game for both teams.  Pretty much nobody has claimed the East yet.  Toronto's been up and down to start this season and are looking for consistency.  Ottawa despite a hot start week 1 and despite playing a fairly solid first half vs E-town, has struggled to finish games and will need to do that here, going to be a matter which Burris shows up again.  For Toronto, it will depend on which Burke defense comes to play, the one that rattled Durant week 2, or the one that got mutilated by Willy week 1 and the depleted Stamps O week 2.

I'm gonna go with Toronto 26-24, but wouldn't be surprised to see this go either way.

With Montreal and BC, home team has usually had the advantage in this one each meeting.  After a rocky start the first two weeks, BC started seeing a bit better play in last week's win, and with their homefield advantage in this game as well as better preparation I believe, I've got the Leos winning this.

Gonna say BC 27 Montreal 10

With the tiger cats at the stampeders, this one's gonna get ugly.  This year, the stampeders defense may actually be better than their offense, which spells bad news for the Tiger Cats.  They could be rolling with 2 QBs back and forth in this one, depending on what Austin decides to do, and against that defense that spells trouble.  I expect with Hamilton's O-line problems Charleston Hughes is gonna be setting league sack records in this one.

Calgary 49 Hamilton 7

Once again, we seem to be setting the stage for excitement in the peg.  If I had to guess what this game was gonna be a month or more ago, I woulda thought this would be a battle between 2 teams 0-3 each just trying to stay out of the West cellar.  Amazing that it's exactly the opposite of that.  3 years ago when we played these guys the first meeting, it was our swaggerville D going up against the new Kavis Reed and Ricky Ray O in Canada Inns Stadium, us at 4-1, them at 5-0, and we ended up coming out on top.  This time the roles are a bit reversed, their tough D coming in against our new, vastly improved, and even unrecognizable offense.

Gonna be tight but I think we take this 29-21.

Toronto  and Ottawa.. Durie out, Owens out, barnes out... Ottawa wins their first of the year.. gonna say 30-17

Calgary and Hamilton.. LOL do i have too? Calgary in a wooping, i'm thinking 50 -10, probably could be more but BLM will be pulled early to get  Tate some reps

Bc and Montreal.. That montreal D is solid, don't think  BC's oline is very good, thinking Montreal by a touchdown

Edmonton/Winnipeg..  Tough call but playing at home, i think the bombers pull it off, probably something like 38-25. 

I wouldn't count out Hammy just yet this week.... remember last week's "no brainer" was Saskie over BC.... predicted by almost everyone, myself included

oh i dont know man, they are playing calgary, it's not like they are playing ottawa or someone like that.. I think it's a pretty safe bet that calgary will destroy hamilton.

I wouldn't count out Hammy just yet this week.... remember last week's "no brainer" was Saskie over BC.... predicted by almost everyone, myself included

oh i dont know man, they are playing calgary, it's not like they are playing ottawa or someone like that.. I think it's a pretty safe bet that calgary will destroy hamilton.

So many times in the last 30 years of watching the CFL I've seen a first time starter come in and show the no-brainers that they have no brains.

Ain't that right Rocky Butler?

I got a confidence that even if we are down by less down a TD, 2 minutes remaining in the game, Willy can pull a win for us.

That said, I don't want us to be on that heart-stopping situation again. Ground and pound early, and put the pedal to the metal until it's over.

Toronto  at Ottawa... Durie, Owens, Barnes out, where will Toronto get it's offense from? Ottawa wins their home opener.

Hamilton at Calgary... Anyone choosing Hamilton?  Should be over early.

Montreal at BC... Montreal's D's front 7 will eat BC's O line up.  Can Smith create enough offense to win?  I think so.

Edmonton at Winnipeg.. . Should be the game of the week.  I'll choose Winnipeg based on home field and special teams. 

I believe that Masoli and the Ticats will surprise the Stampeders and beat them.  Then the Cats will continue to start Masoli in the next few weeks.  Then at the first sign of a struggle, they will put Collaros back in.  Then they will have a full-blown QB controversy on their hands.  I've seen this script play out before.  Hamilton is in for a very rough season.

Cept that masoli is horrible. He's a RB who can kinda throw... Not taylored for this sit back and throw offence... Which is crazy.. 2 pretty good mobile QB's who can best play in a less structured offence... Oh, I know! Let's make em both pocket QB's... Genius!!

Cept that masoli is horrible. He's a RB who can kinda throw... Not taylored for this sit back and throw offence... Which is crazy.. 2 pretty good mobile QB's who can best play in a less structured offence... Oh, I know! Let's make em both pocket QB's... Genius!!

Spuds doesn't like Masoli.

Now I KNOW he is a good QB.