The Bombers Need A Qb Coach

A reader of my blog (@bear_pants) pointed the following out to me this week:

BC, Sask and Toronto have two things in common: they have a dedicated QB coach and have winning records.  Calgary does not but has Dave Dickenson as their OC (sorta knows about being a QB), they are also winning.  None of these teams have shown struggles at pivot this season, even with their backups!

Montreal, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Edmonton do not have dedicated QB coaches.  Not only are they losing but their QBs have all looked varying degrees of horrible, especially Winnipeg and Edmonton.

A more detailed analysis (among other things) is part of my rant this week (http://www.bluebastard.ca/?p=597).

Why don't we have a QB coach when we are trying to develop two raw players into starters?  Probably money.

Hopefully Miller and company (whomever that's gonna be) comes to the same conclusion and gets the QBs some help.

Thoughts?

circumstantial evidence. Toronto, Saskatchewan Calgary and BC all have proven winning offensive coordinators. I can just as easily turn around and say that is the reason. They all also have proven quarterbacks in the prime of their careers while the other teams do not (Burris and Calvillo being in the twilight of theirs, WInnipeg with a broken vet and raw backups, edmonton with a bunch of raw qbs) I don't buy for a second that the difference between winning in the CFL and losing is a qb coach. I don't think it's bad to have one, I just don't see it as the reason teams either do good or they don't. 

technically Crowton is the qb coach, we've been over this before, it's not like they don't have a guy to coach qbs. I'm not saying they shouldn't have a seperate one, I'm just saying that trying to imply that the difference between winning and losing in the CFL is that positional coach is stupid and shortsighted. There's no magic bullet here, this post is clearly trying to say that there is. 

I'll concede that having a QB coach isn't the magic bullet that's going to turn the team around but handling the whole offence is obviously too much for Gary.  QB is currently a revolving door and I think demands someone's full attention.  You can't win in this league with a quarterback who's lost.

Maybe Buck takes on more of that responsibility now?  Perhaps that's what the team meant when they said he'd be helping Gary out with the offence.

BC, Sask and Toronto have two things in common: they have a dedicated QB coach and have winning records.  Calgary does not but has Dave Dickenson as their OC (sorta knows about being a QB), they are also winning.  None of these teams have shown struggles at pivot this season, even with their backups!

Montreal, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Edmonton do not have dedicated QB coaches.  Not only are they losing but their QBs have all looked varying degrees of horrible, especially Winnipeg and Edmonton.

A more detailed analysis (among other things) is part of my rant this week (http://www.bluebastard.ca/?p=597).

Why don't we have a QB coach when we are trying to develop two raw players into starters?  Probably money.

Hopefully Miller and company (whomever that's gonna be) comes to the same conclusion and gets the QBs some help.

Thoughts?

And the sky is blue   :lol: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam  for many years.     But we have a QB coach according to Burke.      :wacko:  :wacko:

Thoughts?

And the sky is blue   :lol: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam  for many years.     But we have a QB coach according to Burke.      :wacko:  :wacko:

These things have to be addressed by Miller.I think if Burke had the budget he'd hire a qb coach. Miller has to give the head coach the tools to win with. Things aren't working. Things have to change. it shouldn't be an either/or scenario. if Burke wants a qb coach he should be free to go hire one. If he doesn't then he's clueless.

These things have to be addressed by Miller.I think if Burke had the budget he'd hire a qb coach. Miller has to give the head coach the tools to win with. Things aren't working. Things have to change. it shouldn't be an either/or scenario as in hiring a receivers coach or a qb coach. If Burke wants a qb coach he should be free to go hire one. If he doesn't then he's clueless.

Crowton isn't the only guy handling the offense though... I think the big issue is that we simply have the wrong guys all around coaching the offense.

He's the only guy handling the qbs. And preparing the game plan.And running the offensive practices. And calling plays.... This offense is totally effed.

If Tim Burke does not survive past this year. I would be tempted to go hire Cortez who could bring Khari in as OC/QB coach. Hopefully Cortez would leave Creehan as DC. Lets face it, it was not the offense that got him fired in Hamilton it was the defense. There is a heck of a lot more talent on this defense than there was on that one.