Question about a call last night?

Maybe this has come up somewhere else but I didn't see it...

When Ottawa was called for a time count violation with 7 seconds to go the refs issued a 10-yard penalty and replay of the down... I thought that penalty, at that point, in the game is a loss of down.... so I thought the call there shoulda been loss of downs and a turn over on downs.... Am I mistaken?

turns out it didn't make a difference but at the time it coulda been a huge call....

thoughts?

It would have been a loss of down had it been first or second down. However since it was third down you can't force a turnover on the penalty so it was a 10 yard penalty instead of the usual 5 for time count violation.

thank you

end of thread/  :lol:

My question was in the second quarter (Ithink) when the Ottawa was called for Pass interference down near their 45 yard line where the ball was moved too (Bombers were going North).  The Ref said accidental pass interference and then they moved the ball back down to where we started from and no penalty.  Did he say it was an accidental PI and that there was no penalty on the play?  I though you could still get a penalty for accidental.  Turned out it didn't matter in the end.

I find the play by play at cfl.ca has been improved for looking these things up.

http://cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/12669

the one thing it is missing is a column for each line that shows the LOS. Most plays mention where the play ends (pass wpg 42 yard line, run to ott 16 yard line, etc) but on the penalties it doesn't seem to list it.

That accidental PI was total crap.  It was either full PI or nothing.  IMO the ref who tossed the flag thought he made the wrong call and ended up going halfway.  The Ottawa DB had his arm on the Bombers receivers back they whole way down the field.  Did he impede him, debatable.  

Accidental is when they trip over each others feet or something like that.

That accidental PI was total crap.  It was either full PI or nothing.  IMO the ref who tossed the flag thought he made the wrong call and ended up going halfway.  The Ottawa DB had his arm on the Bombers receivers back they whole way down the field.  Did he impede him, debatable?  

Accidental is when they trip over each others feet or something like that.

Yeah he definitely had a hold to him...both hands