Drew Willy named CFL offensive player of the week

Well said. As fun and exciting as last week was, there will undoubtedly be some rough patches throughout the season and people need to keep that in perspective just like the happy times. Various people and/or aspects of the team will struggle at different points throughout the season. Willy is not immune to that. Hopefully people will be able to look at the big picture when that time comes.

If opposing teams don't take minimum 22 penalties every game I will be furious at the Bombers.

Willy can only get better.

Well that's simply not true. Nice positivity though!

Explain. I'd love to hear your slant. 

I don't want to put words in anyones mouth but I think she means he could have worse games.

All qbs no matter how great, have bad games. How can Willy not get better as a player if he continues to develop & get experience?

I don't want to put words in anyones mouth but I think she means he could have worse games.

All qbs no matter how great, have bad games. How can Willy not get better as a player if he continues to develop & get experience?

What if his arm falls off tomorrow?

Remember the "Joey! Joey! Joey!" chants?

Well I don't know why I'm commenting, because I think Willy is going to be a very good QB for several years, but I'd be foolish to believe that there's no possibility he doesn't pan out.

So, the Negative Nancys & Neds have finally come out to play. All I said was he should keep getting better with experience. I never said he was the next Ken Ploen or Tom Clements.

Now you say "should" as opposed to before it was "can only." It does make a difference, people are pretty literal on a discussion board.

So, the Negative Nancys & Neds have finally come out to play. All I said was he should keep getting better with experience. I never said he was the next Ken Ploen or Tom Clements. 

No, it's just that one game does not make a benchmark for future expectations. 

No, it's just that one game does not make a benchmark for future expectations.

Oh come on, iso, I'm far from a negative Nancy as you so eloquently put it. Just saying one great first game and everyone is jumping on the Willy as our saviour bandwagon? That is something I will not do. As always I am cautiously optimistic, but absolutely he could appear worse or not improve as defences learn more about him, or as he plays better defences.

Fraser represent thoughts well. He had a GREAT game but statements like 'he can only improve from here' after an offensive player of the week game without your handy 'oh I meant he can only develop from playing time' sound ludicrous. Jyles' great comeback? Elliot's two great games? And where are those guys now? What have they done?

Robynjt, how could you not know exactly what I meant? I said Willy can only get better. By that, I mean that he'll get more familiar with the offense, he'll do his reads quicker, he'll get more confidence, make better decisions, work on the chemistry he has with his receivers all by reps in practice & game experience. I never said he'd be the next Great One. I never said he's an automatic all star, Grey Cup MVP or future Hall of Famer. I just made a simple statement. You seem to think that I believe Willy is the next Joe Montana. It's nothing of the kind. It was just a general comment that players improve with practice, reps & experience. You said, "Not true". You deny that it probably won't happen? 

I have no idea if Willy will become a CFL elite qb. I hope so but that isn't what I meant. 

Now we have someone comparing Willy to Steven ''one read'' Jyles? 

Leave it to some Bomber fans to find coal instead of diamonds in just about everything. #wejustsuckbecauseitfeelsright

I don't think anyone is compaing him that. I think people are just suggesting that we aren't assured anything after one great game. chickens shouldn't be counted until the hatch etc and so forth.

Nope I'm not convinced, Fraser. There are Bomber fans here that are just like that character in Peanuts with a cloud of rain constantly over them. Doom & gloom. When I get criticized for just innocently saying that Willy's going to get better & NOTHING ELSE & it's interpreted that I meant he's going to some kind of great qb, then I have to wonder. 

Of course, I can almost guarandamntee it that if Drew sucks against the redblacks then those same people will come back here & say to me, "Told ya so." Seen this before. Wash, rinse & repeat.

When you say ONLY, your saying that Willy's career night is not only the new normal, which it isn't, but the new lowest expectation we should have.  From here on out, Willy could get better, worse, or be the same.  That's the reality  The 'Debbie Downer' view would be he's already played his best game and he will ONLY get worse.  (Read it in a Eeyore voice to get the full effect.)

Willy has great mechanics, throws a pretty ball, has accuracy & a strong arm. He comes from the MAC so he has had great competition playing college football, spent two seasons backing up Darian Durant & played a year in George Cortez's system in Regina. Playing in George's system had to help with his reads & recognitions. He looked like he had the ability last week to make quick decisions in the face of an Argo blitz. So, I am optimistic going forward that he will keep improving. He'll have rough spots but let's hope overall the learning curve is banked upwards.

Willy has great mechanics, throws a pretty ball, has accuracy & a strong arm. He comes from the MAC so he has had great competition playing college football, spent two seasons backing up Darian Durant & played a year in George Cortez's system in Regina. Playing in George's system had to help with his reads & recognitions. He looked like he had the ability last week to make quick decisions in the face of an Argo blitz. So, I am optimistic going forward that he will keep improving. He'll have rough spots but let's hope overall the learning curve is banked upwards.

A suspension carries a lot of weight in the CFL fan forum boards..therefore you are not allowed to use that name or any form of that name in any way, shape or manner until the suspension is lifted or said player is traded.

Nope I'm not convinced, Fraser. There are Bomber fans here that are just like that character in Peanuts with a cloud of rain constantly over them. Doom & gloom. When I get criticized for just innocently saying that Willy's going to get better & NOTHING ELSE & it's interpreted that I meant he's going to some kind of great qb, then I have to wonder. 

Of course, I can almost guarandamntee it that if Drew sucks against the redblacks then those same people will come back here & say to me, "Told ya so." Seen this before. Wash, rinse & repeat.

Give me a break, are you honestly trying to say that's what I am doing here?  Not to mention I hardly "criticized" you - when one states "x can only get x" you are speaking in absolutes, which is simply not true in football, which is all I said...  

If he stinks it up against the RedBlacks, I'll just say "growing pains are expected".  Why the hell would I want to rub it in your face?  I want this team to win as much, if not more as the next person.  I want him to succeed just as much as the next person.  One thing I can guarantee is that you won't come here and say you were wrong.  One thing about the "let's wait and see" attitude (which I have, in case you still haven't figured it out), is you can't be wrong.  ;)

When you say ONLY, your saying that Willy's career night is not only the new normal, which it isn't, but the new lowest expectation we should have.  From here on out, Willy could get better, worse, or be the same.  That's the reality  The 'Debbie Downer' view would be he's already played his best game and he will ONLY get worse.  (Read it in a Eeyore voice to get the full effect.)

I don't think I've ever agreed with you.... but absolutely this is what I meant.

You get hung upon words, robynjt. I said. "He'll only get better". Pretty innocent comment by me. I figured it was pretty vanilla & that no one would take exception to such an innoculous comment. Well, was I wrong. You went, "Not true". I never said anything more to mean than he'd improve with more games, reps, practices which is a reasonable assumption & you twisted it around to mean something else, so why don't YOU GIVE ME A BREAK? What a stupid argument. Whether Willy will stink the joint up or not next game after we beat the Argos. 

Sue me for trying to be a good fan & not looking at the negative.