The Scotch thread

Fraser

Funny story...17to85 and I have been talking about getting into Scotch. He got a bottle from his folks for Christmas and we're just trying to see who's got the nerve to try it first. I like the *idea* of being a Scotch guy....

Not a fan of hard liquor at all however i will say this about scotch. It's fricking fantastic. At a wedding social at the fort gary hotel about a year ago me and several friends decided lets drink some scotch, straight at that, no mix no nothing. The first one was pretty harsh but the 5th one went down a whole lot easier ;) 

If you are going to waste Scotch with mix you might as well just drink rye and save yourself a bunch of money.

Scotch is a bit of an acquired taste. But drink the expensive stuff next to the cheap stuff and you will definitely notice the difference.

Scotch needs to be drunk on the rocks, that's rule number one.

If you guys need help with a fifth of twelve year...do send it my way.

Trick is to let it sit with ice for a few minutes, then sip it slowly.  Once you 'acquire' the taste you won't look back.

If you are going to waste Scotch with mix you might as well just drink rye and save yourself a bunch of money.

Scotch is a bit of an acquired taste. But drink the expensive stuff next to the cheap stuff and you will definitely notice the difference.

Like i said, not a big alcohol drinker. We never did use mix, some guys wanted too. A friend who is a fan said exactly what you just did. 

Glenfiddich 12 year, I'm up to try it but Cory is being a ***** and I don't wanna start drinking it on my own. 

That is a starter single malt. Its a little harsh but you can really taste that it tastes like pears and its nice to start of with something where you can really get the notes easily.

Trick is to let it sit with ice for a few minutes, then sip it slowly.  Once you 'acquire' the taste you won't look back.

It really should be neat. My trick when I started was to breath in before I took a sip and breath out after but I'm at the point where I am so used it I'll really savour it.

It really should be neat. My trick when I started was to breath in before I took a sip and breath out after but I'm at the point where I am so used it I'll really savour it.

Breathing in through your nose while sipping is the best tip I can give to anyone struggling with the initial taste. Works with martinis too.

Glenfiddich 12 year, I'm up to try it but Cory is being a ***** and I don't wanna start drinking it on my own. 

That is a starter single malt. Its a little harsh but you can really taste that it tastes like pears and its nice to start of with something where you can really get the notes easily.

Harsh really isn't a problem, I kinda like my booze to burn a little bit on the way down. 

Had some with my girlfriend's (wife now) uncle. I didn't want to look like a ***** in front of her family so I drank it, and it took everything in me to keep a straight face when I swallowed it. I don't remember what kind it was, but it was awful.

I'm almost exclusively a beer drinker. If I'm feeling fancy I'll have a vodka paralyzer or caesar.

I like brandy neat but not scotch.

Right now I am working on a Glendronach 15 that spent its last 2 years in port casks. Its got a really nice finish. I also have a Macallum amber but to be honest haven't been to impressed with the new age Macallum's.

Anyone into Islay malts? I wasn't before but they are growing on me.

Right now I am working on a Glendronach 15 that spent its last 2 years in port casks. Its got a really nice finish. I also have a Macallum amber but to be honest haven't been to impressed with the new age Macallum's.

How about Aberlour? I've been through a few of those - very smooth.

I haven't tried it, but haven't met a Speyside whiskey I didn't like. Any paticular version you are a fan of? The cast strength bottle seems like a pretty good value at the MLCC.

I haven't tried it, but haven't met a Speyside whiskey I didn't like. Any paticular version you are a fan of? The cast strength bottle seems like a pretty good value at the MLCC.

I usually get that one. Expensive single malt is a rare purchase for me though. Usually a blend or Glenlivet.