The Scotch thread

Fraser

Right now I am working on a Glendronach 15 that spent its last 2 years in port casks. Its got a really nice finish. I also have a Macallum amber but to be honest haven't been to impressed with the new age Macallum's.

Anyone into Islay malts? I wasn't before but they are growing on me.

How about Aberlour? I've been through a few of those - very smooth.

I'm a fan of Aberlour, not a fan if it's recent price hike though.

My favourite scotch right now is Bowmore 12. It's got to be the best single malt for its price ($55.) I'm a huge fan of Islay scotches, love the smoke and it keeps you warm in the winter. In the summer a nice highland scotch is nice with its fruits tones.

Glad there's some scotch drinkers on here, lookin forward to possibly trying some new suggested malts.

Right now I am working on a Glendronach 15 that spent its last 2 years in port casks. Its got a really nice finish. I also have a Macallum amber but to be honest haven't been to impressed with the new age Macallum's.

My favourite scotch right now is Bowmore 12. It's got to be the best single malt for its price ($55.) I'm a huge fan of Islay scotches, love the smoke and it keeps you warm in the winter. In the summer a nice highland scotch is nice with its fruits tones.

Glad there's some scotch drinkers on here, lookin forward to possibly trying some new suggested malts.

I've got a small bottle of the bowmore and its a taste I'm still aquiring. Can you recomend any lighter Islays? I really like the Scappa when Iwas in scotland but they don't sell it at the LC here.

I just picked up a bottle of the Macallam 12 (sherry not oak) and am very happy with it for only 60USD at Happy harry's

I've got a small bottle of the bowmore and its a taste I'm still aquiring. Can you recomend any lighter Islays? I really like the Scappa when Iwas in scotland but they don't sell it at the LC here.

I just picked up a bottle of the Macallam 12 (sherry not oak) and am very happy with it for only 60USD at Happy harry's

Mcclellands Islay is a bit lighter than Bowmore. Mcclellands is neat (pun intended) because they have (well, use) distilleries all over Scotland to create a diverse collection. They have Islay, Highland, lowland, and speyside scotches, unfortunately we only get Islay and Highland here, (and I did NOT like their highland.)

So I'd suggest trying Mcclellands Islay for a lighter tasting Islay, it's very well priced at around $40 for a single malt.

What you guys think of the Johnnie Walkers?  I find they all taste pretty much the same, unless you're drinking some of the really high end ones.

Not a fan. Too much money for a blend. I know some blends are really good -- in fact one of my favourite scotches is a blend-- however JW doesn't do it for me. If I want cheap blended scotch I prefer Dewars or Grants over JW red. If I spend some money I prefer a single malt from across the pond.

The favourite (one of) I was talking about is St. Andrews. It comes in that golf ball shaped bottle. I had to get it just for the bottle, and it was AMAZING. I have two bottles now which I fill with cheap stuff to make my bar look cool!

What you guys think of the Johnnie Walkers? I find they all taste pretty much the same, unless you're drinking some of the really high end ones.

Worth keeping a bottle of the cheap stuff around in case somone wants a rusty nail or a rob roy.

If you wanna lay out the dough for a 'good bottle' may as well get a single malt

What you guys think of the Johnnie Walkers?  I find they all taste pretty much the same, unless you're drinking some of the really high end ones.

Not a fan. Too much money for a blend. I know some blends are really good -- in fact one of my favourite scotches is a blend-- however JW doesn't do it for me. If I want cheap blended scotch I prefer Dewars or Grants over JW red. 

Try Grant's with an Ale (blue label) or Sherry (green label) cask finish. Really smooth, but MLCC doesn't carry it any more. It's still in Ontario though.

Scotch needs to be drunk on the rocks, that's rule number one.

If you guys need help with a fifth of twelve year...do send it my way.

Trick is to let it sit with ice for a few minutes, then sip it slowly.  Once you 'acquire' the taste you won't look back.

It really should be neat. My trick when I started was to breath in before I took a sip and breath out after but I'm at the point where I am so used it I'll really savour it.

MacCallums 18, one icecube. That is all.

What you guys think of the Johnnie Walkers? I find they all taste pretty much the same, unless you're drinking some of the really high end ones.

Worth keeping a bottle of the cheap stuff around in case somone wants a rusty nail or a rob roy.

If you wanna lay out the dough for a 'good bottle' may as well get a single malt

Just don't get me started on guys who'll ask for single malt...then pour coke into it.

Just don't get me started on guys who'll ask for single malt...then pour coke into it.

Thats like deep frying a rib eye.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All ye Scotch lovers with thin wallets...LC is now carrying Grant's Sherry Cask finish (Green Label). 'Tis rather good...

Excuse me but pirates are supposed to drink rum.

Being on a tropical vacation is the only excuse for male rum consumption

Oh no no no no no.  Rum has got quite interesting in the last 10 years.  Get into it a bit and your prejudice will be shaken, same with rye and bourbon.  Very interesting research to be done if you're a sop.