TSN Off-Season Game Plan: Winnipeg Jets

I follow a lot of Penguins reporters on twitter, & they all seem to think the Pens will try to make a move for Kane. Neal being the obvious asset to get it done.

I didn't realize, but it sounds like Neal's not the most popular guy in the dressing room or with team staff. Malkin loves him, but a lot of other players don't. It'll be interesting to see how much trade value he has.

That's an awful trade and won't happen.. kane for neal doesn't have any legs to stand on at all...

for one, we really don't have a need for neal, he's a rw, kane's a lw... buff for neal? sure but kane? i don't think so. Pens would have to add significant pieces to make that one happen.

Neal can play both sides.

why would chevy who wants guys who are high on character want a guy like neal, who in your post, you said, he is not well liked by basically everyone but malkin. Neal makes no sense for this team moving forward. The jets plan is to build around the young guys, not bring in a guy like neal who has inflated numbers because he plays with malkin.

I follow a lot of Penguins reporters on twitter, & they all seem to think the Pens will try to make a move for Kane. Neal being the obvious asset to get it done.

I didn't realize, but it sounds like Neal's not the most popular guy in the dressing room or with team staff. Malkin loves him, but a lot of other players don't. It'll be interesting to see how much trade value he has.

That's an awful trade and won't happen.. kane for neal doesn't have any legs to stand on at all...

for one, we really don't have a need for neal, he's a rw, kane's a lw... buff for neal? sure but kane? i don't think so. Pens would have to add significant pieces to make that one happen.

Neal can play both sides.

why would chevy who wants guys who are high on character want a guy like neal, who in your post, you said, he is not well liked by basically everyone but malkin. Neal makes no sense for this team moving forward. The jets plan is to build around the young guys, not bring in a guy like neal who has inflated numbers because he plays with malkin.

I didn't say nobody but Malkin liked him.

Neal is still a young guy.

He put up 55 points as a 23 year old with the Stars. Very similar to what Kane is doing at the same age. Difference is he's proven he can take the next step & put up all-star calibre numbers. No guarantee Kane can, with or without Malkin.

Its nice to hear the Jets mentioned in trade and free agency rumours, even if nothing comes of it (but hopefully it does).

A few rumours making the rounds:

- Buff to Philly.  This one has been out there for at least a year.  I think its safe to say the Flyers would like Buff.  The flyers always seem to think they can win now, so adding Buff at his age/contract makes sense for them.  Im sure they have visions of Buff's work in the playoffs for Chicago.  It would make sense for the Jets too, to send Buff to the East and Philly has enough interesting assets to make this one work.

- Kane to Edmonton.  I didnt hear many details but this one surprises me.  There was talk of Buff to Edmonton last year when Buff's defensive acumen was a bit more positive and the Oilers were desperate for strong D.  Heard Yak's name mentioned as the return but there is risk there.  I'd be weary.

- Jets' Free Agent interest: 

Mason Raymond - would make a lot of sense though the Jets could have gone after him last season for cheaper and didnt.  But he'd look mighty fine as the 3LW with the ability to fill in top six as needed (much like Frolik).  If the Jets have a legit top six RW and their 3rd line looks like Raymond - ??? - Frolik, thats a great start.

Daniel Winnik - this is an Eklund rumour so take it with a grain of salt.  I dont know much about him but he has size and *some* skill.  29 years old.  Plays all forward positions but is a LW.  Would also fit in as 3LW.  Made $1.8 million the last two seasons which is a much nicer cap hit than Raymond is likely to be.

Jordan Tootoo - Bought out.  Was making $2 million last season (when he was in the NHL).  Jets reached out to him before Detroit signed him but Wings offered too much and seemingly regret it now.  He's 31 but he's the type of "grit" the Jets could really use.  I could see a lowball offer going his way but I also suspect a couple of other teams in on him.  Jets might be the perfect fit for him though.  If Chevy thinks he can play 3RW effectively, it might make it easier to keep Frolik with Ladd-Little (and open up a Buff trade for a 3rd line centre).

I've come to the painful conclusion that the JETS won't do anything, it will be the same old same old, oh well... as for a few of those guys mentioned above? raymond would be a good pickup but he might want to much term, it's not the dollar value im worried about with raymond, its the length of the deal. 1 or 2 years is fine, anything more for raymond is too much.

Tootoo? Why? he's not good, he's actually really really bad. The only thing tootoo has going for him is he's local, he can't score, he can't do anything, we already have a young tootoo in peluso, there is no need for tootoo, my guess is he would be a healthy scratch most nights. Tootoo brings very little.

Winnik would be a good pick up, solid in both ends of the ice, Find it hard to believe he'd come here though as he might have a few other options out there.

Want a name that the jets will probably go after? heres one, brian gibbons.. never heard of him? he played with crosby a bit last year, he's a career AHL'r but that seems to be the type of player that TNSE will go after. 

Heard they have interest in Moulson  and a name i'm gonna throw out there, unlikely to happen but if the wild aren't interested in him and he wants to play close to where he lives, thomas vanek is another. Kane,Scheif,Wheelr,Ladd,Little,Vanek, Raymond,??,Frolik. Solid top 9 outside of the 3rd line centre question mark (O'dell)

- Kane to Edmonton.  I didnt hear many details but this one surprises me.  There was talk of Buff to Edmonton last year when Buff's defensive acumen was a bit more positive and the Oilers were desperate for strong D.  Heard Yak's name mentioned as the return but there is risk there.  I'd be weary.

There is no risk with Yakupov. The kids problem last year was that Dallas Eakins misjudged the kind or person he is and sewered the kids confidence. He's one of the hardest working players out there but Eakins came in thinking he had to crack the whip and make an example of him. Not the case, Yakupov needed to be nurtured and taught how to play smarter but Eakins didn't do that. He threw him into the fire and criticized him when he got burned. 

Well, edmonton would have to add, there is a risk with yakupov, he's russian, he could go to the KHL, there is always that risk. Kane has 4 years left on his deal, yak has 1 and could easily bolt to russia. I don't see that happening, Edmonton really has no need for kane and we don't really have a need for yakupov. Kane should be able to fetch you more than yakupov. I like yak but... when you break it down, that deal doesn't help either team really. The more logical trade with edmonton would be buff or toby, i just don't see how kane helps edmonton and i don't see how yakupov helps the Jets. The jets have very little LW depth, you trade kane and your depth becomes even worse. 

Kane,Ladd then what? trade kane and then it becomes ladd and a bunch of scrubs really. Don't see Kane to Edmonton at all. 

Well, edmonton would have to add, there is a risk with yakupov, he's russian, he could go to the KHL, there is always that risk. Kane has 4 years left on his deal, yak has 1 and could easily bolt to russia. I don't see that happening, Edmonton really has no need for kane and we don't really have a need for yakupov. Kane should be able to fetch you more than yakupov. I like yak but... when you break it down, that deal doesn't help either team really. The more logical trade with edmonton would be buff or toby, i just don't see how kane helps edmonton and i don't see how yakupov helps the Jets. The jets have very little LW depth, you trade kane and your depth becomes even worse. 

Kane,Ladd then what? trade kane and then it becomes ladd and a bunch of scrubs really. Don't see Kane to Edmonton at all. 

there is no KHL risk with Yakupov, he came to play in the OHL really young don't forget, people just like to pile on the kid cause they got a stick up their ass when he had the audacity to celebrate scoring goals. The reason Edmonton would want Kane would be to add size to their top 6, but I dunno that you get Yakupov for Kane. Sophmore slump doesn't drop the value or the consensus #1 draft choice in his draft year by that much. Gotta remember that as a rookie he did lead the Oilers in goal scoring. 

there is no KHL risk with Yakupov, he came to play in the OHL really young don't forget, people just like to pile on the kid cause they got a stick up their ass when he had the audacity to celebrate scoring goals. The reason Edmonton would want Kane would be to add size to their top 6, but I dunno that you get Yakupov for Kane. Sophmore slump doesn't drop the value or the consensus #1 draft choice in his draft year by that much. Gotta remember that as a rookie he did lead the Oilers in goal scoring. 

i liked yakupovs celebreation, i like him, i just don't see him being something we are looking for. You trade Kane and our left wing depth becomes andrew ladd, that's why i don't see it happening. Kane won't be traded anyways and if he is, regardless what you say, they will get more than just yakupov for him. Helps the oilers sure but how does it help the Jets exactly? Trading your top LW for another RW, how does that help? as for Kane rumours, every damn off season since the Jets came back, the talking heads have always said kane is rumoured to be moved, every damn off season now, enough already... either **** or get off the pot really. I won't believe it until he's traded. Just a bunch of bored hockey writers out there trying to get likes and page clicks in my opinion. The yak rumour was started by an Edmonton writer, it just won't happen. 

Outside of one explosive April in the strike-shortened season, he doesn't have much a track record to point to really.  I suspect Kane would be enough, Edmonton seems to have lost a fair amount of patience with Upov.  Does he add value to this lineup?  If he becomes what people think he'll become, he adds value to any lineup.  Same can be said about Kane though.

just Yakupov is doing a great disservice to the kid. 

Here's the thing, I think Kane is a really good player, but he's got issues of his own too that do hold his value back. I also get very angry when people try and downplay Yakupov because it's always with a bunch of bullshit that they read online which has no basis in truth. The fact is that Yakupov has a great attitude and is one of the hardest workers who does care about improving his game.

My number 1 reason why I think the Jets won't trade Kane is because he has more value to them than he does to anyone else. No one is going to give an overpayment for Kane so you're better off keeping him. 

I also get very angry when people try and downplay Yakupov because it's always with a bunch of bullshit that they read online which has no basis in truth. The fact is that Yakupov has a great attitude and is one of the hardest workers who does care about improving his game.

You've spent a lot of time with him personally to know this for a "fact"? Or is this just stuff you've read online?

There will always be that risk with a Russian player. I'd prefer buff to Edmonton for Yak.

I forgot about Moulson. I advocated for him last season. Good player.

With Hartnell being traded I wonder if his name came up in relation to Buff. Buff for Hartnell and couturier? Too late now.

True north won't touch vanek.

There will always be that risk with a Russian player. I'd prefer buff to Edmonton for Yak.

I forgot about Moulson. I advocated for him last season. Good player.

With Hartnell being traded I wonder if his name came up in relation to Buff. Buff for Hartnell and couturier? Too late now.

True north won't touch vanek.

why would true north want hartnell, that contract is terrible for him. Why wouldn't they touch vanek? guys a proven goal scorer and can play the RW. wheeler vanek frolik down the right looks pretty good. I doubt they would pay him what he wants but wouldn't surprise me if they spoke to him. 

Good news. There are no Jets home games on the same day as any Bomber home games. There are only two games where the teams play on the same day - one the Jets are on the road (pre-season) and the Bombers home and the other both teams are on the road. The only possible conflict would be if the Bombers host the Western Final as the Jets play at home that day.  http://jets.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Jets pushing for #1 pick? I doubt they pull it off, what would it take?

@GareJoyceNHL: Hard push for #1 overall by Vancouver & Winnipeg. Most yrs I don't see it happening but think there's >50% chance it happens.

Rumour is Florida was wanting Tanev and the 6th for the 1st from VAN  so going on that....

Kane and the 9th would do it I'll  Bet Buff would too. Maybe something like Buff +9 for 1st. I'd do it if it was Buff + 9 for 1st. You'd be crazy not too. Jets aren't winning this year and to get either Ekblad, Reinhart Bennett or Draisatl would help us longer term.

I'm not sure who we'd pick, I'd lean towards Reinhart just cuz this season, he could be our 3rd line centre.

I could also see bennett cuz a line in the future of Bennett Scheif Wheeler would probably be outstanding.  

Ekblad makes no sense at all. We have trouba and Bogo Unless it's bogo and the 9th for the 1st (wouldn't shock me) 

Rumour is Florida was wanting Tanev and the 6th for the 1st from VAN  so going on that....

Rumour is that Vancouver offered 6th overall, Shinkaruk and a roster player for the pick and Florida didn't take it. 

Wow.

If that's true, either Tallon's on glue or Shinkaruk's finished.

Im just not sure it serves the Jets' to lose a high calibre player for 1st over-all if Ekblad is the consensus number one pick.  Buff + #9 for Ekblad?  So we end up with a young player on D which we are pretty decently stocked without another pick until the 3rd round and further reduce our forward depth.  There will be a good player at #9 so Im not sure about this.  If there was a way to get #1 and keep #9, I'd be intrigued.

Bogo for #1+ might be interesting.  Ekblad is a RHD so he replaced Bogo with more upside.  I dont know...