TSN Off-Season Game Plan: Winnipeg Jets

Hockey buzz (yeah I know) reporting two eastern teams interested in grant Clitsome. That's a move I hasn't considered but it does make some sense. He is decent and has a good contract. Might be a little squeezed out of Winnipeg of we're looking to keep Postma and/or Redmond full time (or brining Kulda or Morrissey in).

Also reports that Flyers still want Buff. I think there's a deal to be made there.

Hockey buzz (yeah I know) reporting two eastern teams interested in grant Clitsome. That's a move I hasn't considered but it does make some sense. He is decent and has a good contract. Might be a little squeezed out of Winnipeg of we're looking to keep Postma and/or Redmond full time (or brining Kulda or Morrissey in).

Also reports that Flyers still want Buff. I think there's a deal to be made there.

Jets are gonna be a tough team to trade with. If Chevy & Chips have surrendered to the idea of being a 79 to 87 point team the next couple years why not play out the non-playoff string with some of the fan faves you already have on your roster?  I think almost everyone in Wpg has fallen in love with the stiffs on the current roster and really don't mind not playing in May and June.

Chevy doesn't do trades so why would he start now? We are close to being a playoff team in the West. I think we did a lot better than most pundits thought we'd do last season coming out of that weak Southeast Division so I think he'll add a few pieces, subtract a few but it'll be status quo as usual. Not convinced trading Buff is the right thing to do anyway. I do know that putting him at winger is the right thing to do.

I would trade Buff now if you can get a decent return for him. Especially if he ends up offing on the 3rd line next season.

A man that big who reportedly isn't the biggest fitness fanatic will experience a sharp decline in his play. I'd rather that happen on another team if we can get a decent return for him now.

Chevy does make trades. Saying he doesn't make trades is factually incorrect.

He got a couple nice draft picks for The Pizza Man, Johnny Oduya. Oduya is playing much better in the Chicago system than he ever did in Atlanta/Winnipeg.

Fans are tickled pink the Jets are within 6 pts of a playoff berth - so major or even semi-major trades aren't likely. Clitsome is a possibility. Chevy would have to get over-value for Kane so that one won't happen either. I think the Finnish Gash will sign up for another year. A younger goaler likely to replace Montoya as Ondrej's backup. Fans won't tolerate that fast kid with no hands being brought back either!

Yeah, we've had some absolute blockbusters, haven't we? At trade deadline & the draft he's a master at it. The room is just electric.

That's not what you wrote thought. You dated chevy doesn't make trades. That's not true. To now get sarcastic about what you wrote is disingenuous.

And as stated how many blockbuster trades actually happen?

Yeah, we've had some absolute blockbusters, haven't we? At trade deadline & the draft he's a master at it. The room is just electric.

That's not what you wrote thought. You dated chevy doesn't make trades. That's not true. To now get sarcastic about what you wrote is disingenuous.

And as stated how many blockbuster trades actually happen?

And you say I take things too seriously? Dude, look at your posts. 

What are you talking about? You made a statement that was 100% incorrect. If you want

To discuss the effectiveness of Chevy's stint as GM by all means do so but he has made trades. And since you've admitted that now yes I agree with you he has made trades to tweak the line up.

Trading for Frolik was a very good deal.

No digs man. Just discussion.

You know, when I said that Chevy doesn't do trades, I meant he doesn't do big trades like trading away a  player like Byyfuglien. He's content to sit on the guy. People here are saying hey, I'd trade  Buff for this guy or that guy or these players. Clearly, that's not how Chevy rolls. Of course he makes trades, every GM does. All of his trades have been minor ones. Just look at who he's traded for & away. Like I said a tweak here, a subtraction there. An addition somewhere else. Traded away draft picks & added some as well. He's afraid to roll the dice on a major deal to alter the core of the Jets as he is a very conservative GM. Content to let his draft picks develop. If he drafts as bad as the Flames have done since 1990 we'll be out of the playoffs for a long, long time. I'm not convinced that this is the core we can win with but he's the GM so he's paid to make those decisions. 

I guess I should have made it clearer which is my fault.

Im not sure the opportunity has truly presented itself for the Jets to make a blockbuster.

They told us they wanted to model themselves after the Predators.  They said they wanted to take a slow and steady, build throught the draft approach.  I recall an interview with Chipman where he said the Jets would never really be a cap team but he was prepared to spend money if he felt the team was 'close' to a legitimate run.  And yet, they did spend a lot closer to the cap then a lot of people thought they would.  They signed the "core" guys, used the waiver and minor deals to try and improve the bottom six and used the draft to get a future #1 D man and #1 centre.

They explored options for Parise (and I think there was another big name UFA they looked at but I cant recall). 

Chevy has stated some deals discussed at the deadline were significant and required ownership-level approval.  I really think Chevy is comfortable trading a core guy but only if it benefits the Jets now and in the future and isnt just a shake-up deal.  I think the Jets are very "careful" and likely see no reason not to be careful.  You see it even in Chevy's decision not to trade any of his UFA's at the deadline even though it likely made little to no difference to us...also, his refusal to panic when Scheif went down.  They stayed the course.

But I wouldnt be surprised to see a blockbuster deal if another team offered something significant.  For example, Buff to the Flyers.  Supposedly the flyers offered Briere but the Jets wanted much more.  You keep hearing talk of Buff to the Flyers so one wonders if both teams keep circling back to it with the Jets likely maintaining their position of a minimum standard they want back.

You see it even in Chevy's decision not to trade any of his UFA's at the deadline even though it likely made little to no difference to us...also, his refusal to panic when Scheif went down.  They stayed the course.

But I wouldnt be surprised to see a blockbuster deal if another team offered something significant.  For example, Buff to the Flyers.  Supposedly the flyers offered Briere but the Jets wanted much more.  You keep hearing talk of Buff to the Flyers so one wonders if both teams keep circling back to it with the Jets likely maintaining their position of a minimum standard they want back.

Scheifle's injury was likely the reason Jokinen wasn't moved at the trade deadline.  For a team making a playoff run he would have netted the biggest return to the Jets by a long shot.  We would not have gotten much for Seteguchi or Montoya, but a veteran former all-star center?  Chevy had to take the tent down on that one unfortunately (although I still think he'd have decent value as our 3rd line center next year as long as he's getting 3rd line $).

If Buff is viewed solely as an asset then I'd want a large return on him.  His skill set is unique in the NHL; his value is tremendous.  If a team isn't offering us something that will make our team better now or significantly better in the future, why should we make a deal?

I agree mrbrg.  I think Buff has significant value.  He's a "new age" hybrid player.  You cant even define him anymore as a D or O player.  When they moved him to forward, he still played plenty of minutes on D special teams.  Any team that is a playoff team and thinks it has a chance should be interested in Buff and that should result in significant pieces coming back.  Legit contenders should have the depth to make the deal too.  A team like the Flyers have a lot of peices and might see Buff as that big body, puck moving D, scorer they need.

I'd also be okay with Jokinen coming back around $2m.  But It doesnt excite me, just sort of ho hum.  Id be more excited about Burmi's return.  Apparently, though, Jokinen is a mentor to Kane (not sure if that is a factor either way).

You see it even in Chevy's decision not to trade any of his UFA's at the deadline even though it likely made little to no difference to us...also, his refusal to panic when Scheif went down.  They stayed the course.

Scheifle's injury was likely the reason Jokinen wasn't moved at the trade deadline.  For a team making a playoff run he would have netted the biggest return to the Jets by a long shot.  We would not have gotten much for Seteguchi or Montoya, but a veteran former all-star center?  Chevy had to take the tent down on that one unfortunately (although I still think he'd have decent value as our 3rd line center next year as long as he's getting 3rd line $).

If Buff is viewed solely as an asset then I'd want a large return on him.  His skill set is unique in the NHL; his value is tremendous.  If a team isn't offering us something that will make our team better now or significantly better in the future, why should we make a deal?

Where did you hear talk of Jokinen possibly being traded at the deadline? All of the talk I head was about moving Seteguchi.

Yeah I don't recall hearing jokinen trade rumours though it wouldn't have surprised me that a team was interested in him. Problem was the Jets were still competing for a spot and wouldn't have traded their number three centre

The Gooch rumours were him and Thorburn to San Jose for Burrish (I think) and someone else.

Once again who could the Jets could of acquired in a blockbuster trade?   Which free agent superstars could they have signed?

I don't even really see any big mistakes that Chevy has done... it's not his fault that Seto and Pavs completely dropped in performance after signing them...   at the time it was good signings.   

BTW, nate.. i don't think a guy (st louis) demanding to be traded to basically just one team (NYR) is a  blockbuster.

Last blockbuster if people want to call it that was probably nash to NYR or Van  Riemsdyk to Toronto but at that time, JVR was basically nobody.