TSN Off-Season Game Plan: Winnipeg Jets

How about Burmi for Mike Richards?

Maybe LA retains some salary

Oh wait you were serious... Let me laugh even harder. If the Kings want out from Richards contract they'll find a taker and I'd be shocked if it wasn't a better return than having to retain salary to pick up a KHL player.

Point being if LA wants to buy him out. Obvi

How about Burmi for Mike Richards?

Maybe LA retains some salary 

Oh wait you were serious... Let me laugh even harder. If the Kings want out from Richards contract they'll find a taker and I'd be shocked if it wasn't a better return than having to retain salary to pick up a KHL player. 

I don't know, that's a pretty ugly contract. He's been trending down the last three seasons and his contract pays him a lot of money until he's 35.

yeah but there's teams with cap space who would be willing to take a chance on him bouncing back. He does have a lot of winning experience. 

We already have a cheaper version of Richards in Ladd.  And Ladd is scoring.  Getting a non-scoring Ladd and upping his salary x1.5 is a tough sell.

Even post-buyout Richards would not come cheap.  There is always some owner who is willing to offer a dumb contract that they will then complain about the next time the CBA is negotiated.  Cheap is the only way he fits here and someone will offer him more.  From a home town boy angle, quality 3rd line center angle, pedigree of a winner angle - all good fits.  Doubt it happens.

True.

Thats sort of why I wondered if there was a deal to be had with LA where we can avoid a bidding war.  Richards is, what, $5.6m?  We paid Jokinen $4m to be a 3rd line centre.  If LA retained $2m in salary per year and we gave them a 3rd round pick plus maybe Burmi's rights, does that get it done and is it worth it? 

Id love to see Richards here.  Even if he's bought out, we might have a chance at him with his local connections.  He's the type of player that could be the difference between just missing the playoffs and just making the playoffs.

Another problem with getting him here thru free agency is that Richards has pride and believes in himself, just like most pro athletes.  Selling him on coming here to play 3rd line center?  It wasn't that many years ago he was a first line guy.  He wants to re-ignite his career and some team will tell him tales about top 2 line glory.  A trade is probably the only way he's playing on our (or anyone's) 3rd line - remove the voluntary part from the equation.

Burmistrov is one of the best examples of management ruining a player.  He had no business playing in the NHL yet.  He needed time to mature as a person and to mature his game.  He got neither.  It's possible that this stuff may show up on it's own eventually but it's more likely that he farts around Russia and Europe for a half dozen more years until he's worn out his welcome everywhere.  Noel didn't do anything to him other than try and get him to grow up, but calling immature people on their immaturity tends to end in immature responses.  Surprise surprise.

You can't offer trade value for top-end Richards; that's a bad deal.  LA would want more than the value of bottom-end Richards cause they can get it.  Is your deal proper value for median stats Richards?  It might be doable.  $4 mil is too much to pay for the way Richards played this year, but you have to assume that he'll be better than that in 2015.  If not, why acquire him at all?

Atlanta hurt Burmi a lot.

I remember there being an issue during the lockout when the Jets wanted Burmi to play for the Caps and he had an offer to play for the KHL.  He eventually chose to do as management instructed and went to the Caps.  But I wonder if that soured him a little.  In other words, he did what was asked and then didnt get "his chance".  Personally I think it came down to Burmi being immature as you say and not wanting to do as he was told.

But he's young and I think he will be back in 2015.

Another problem with getting him here thru free agency is that Richards has pride and believes in himself, just like most pro athletes.  Selling him on coming here to play 3rd line center?  It wasn't that many years ago he was a first line guy.  He wants to re-ignite his career and some team will tell him tales about top 2 line glory.  A trade is probably the only way he's playing on our (or anyone's) 3rd line - remove the voluntary part from the equation.

Burmistrov is one of the best examples of management ruining a player.  He had no business playing in the NHL yet.  He needed time to mature as a person and to mature his game.  He got neither.  It's possible that this stuff may show up on it's own eventually but it's more likely that he farts around Russia and Europe for a half dozen more years until he's worn out his welcome everywhere.  Noel didn't do anything to him other than try and get him to grow up, but calling immature people on their immaturity tends to end in immature responses.  Surprise surprise.

You can't offer trade value for top-end Richards; that's a bad deal.  LA would want more than the value of bottom-end Richards cause they can get it.  Is your deal proper value for median stats Richards?  It might be doable.  $4 mil is too much to pay for the way Richards played this year, but you have to assume that he'll be better than that in 2015.  If not, why acquire him at all?

richards is the kings 4th line centre right now so playing third line here would be a step up :P

I'd see if he was bought out, then if he was offer him a deal in the 3 million range, 3.5 even, got a few guys on ELC's here so 3 3.5 for richards aint gonna break the bank, especially if we move buff or kane or even don't resign jokinen.

Kind of wont happen but... the ideal situation this summer for the jets would probably be something like

Trade Kane to Florida for the 1st overall pick and a prospect. Take Bennett who can play LW and would probably look great with scheif and wheeler.

Maybe even try Kane to florida for the 1st overall and Huberdeau, Scheif and Hubs has history together, played very well at the world juniors together.

Hubs,Scheif,Wheels.

Ladd, Little,Frolik.

Bennett,Richards, ??

??,O'dell/Slater,??

could address those 3 question marks on offence with a trade of BUFF.. get back a pick a good 3rd line winger or ideally a 2nd line winger and move frolik to the third line with bennett and richards.

Yeah none of this will happen, just saying. 

I think Chevy is going to be looking at moving up in the draft.

I would trade Kane for 1st over-all.  I'd like something else as well because it's not like we're talking McDavid so even though 1st overall should be a no-brainer, you never know.  But maybe we make a package thats Kane + a prospect for 1st and a roster player that helps us now.  We could swap 1sts, but boy i'd love to snag 1st and keep the 9th as well.  We might end up stepping back this season but its a reloading.

Under that scenario, maybe we keep Buff just to have some skill and stability but I'd go all the way and trade Buff to someone like Philly thats willing to part with some solid roster players that help us now, get us a bit younger.

A guy like Richards might seem counter-intuitive to the idea of trading Kane and Buff for even younger pieces, but I think he'd a great guy to keep us from completely slipping.  He's a compete guy.  And if we trade a core piece, we can certainly afford it.  He might be the type of guy that is the aging veteran grey-beard that helps us when our team is really competing in 2-4 years.

I am not anti-Kane.

You may be overvaluing Kane.

I havent *really* thought about it nor do I know the details of the top 3 picks and where their talent level is and when they will be roster players but I think Kane is worth more than 1st over-all.  He's the type of player Florida should want.  He's a potential 40 goal guy.  Gritty, lots of effort, big personality and would fit in there.  He's young, has a good contract.  If the conversation starts at Kane for 1st overall I think the add-ins on either side could get it done but its not going to be Kane for 1st and Huberdeau but maybe Kane & Postma/Redmond for 1st +... maybe?

I would trade Kane for 1st over-all. 

Yeah but Florida wouldn't. You know what Florida is looking for to give up the #1 overall? A legit top 4 defenceman and depending on how good the guy is maybe a +. They are rumoured to be hot and bothered for Ekblad so if you want that pick from them better start giving up pieces on D. 

Nobody in their right mind would give up a 1st rounder for a problem named Kane. Kane has yet to fulfill his potential and has accumulated a ton of bad habits and poor attitudes.  That said, I think someone might bite on Kane, our 9th pick and a developmental player (like JC Lipon) for 2nd or 3rd pick overall.

Would you do that one?

Nobody in their right mind would give up a 1st rounder for a problem named Kane. Kane has yet to fulfill his potential and has accumulated a ton of bad habits and poor attitudes. That said, I think someone might bite on Kane, our 9th pick and a developmental player (like JC Lipon) for 2nd or 3rd pick overall.

Would you do that one?

A late 1st rounder for Kane is plausible. But definitely not a top 5 pick

The bidding for Buff would not surprise me at all.

Kane has shown he could potentially be a top line NHL forward BUT he has never played above the level of a second line forward in his short career and LATELY he has played below the level of a second line forward.

What would I be hoping to get with a top 5 draft pick?  A top line forward, at least eventually.  Based on how Kane's career has averaged out so far that would mean the team trading a high pick is losing value on the deal.  And from the monetary sense they are losing value there as well, as they lose out on the 3 cheapest years of a pro hockey player - the rookie years - and get a guy who is already locked in at 5 million per.

The skills Kane has are among the best in the league, he just doesn't have a complete toolkit.  If Maurice can school him up and make him a more complete player then he'll reach his potential as a top line player.  And if he can do that then I don't want him going anywhere.

Ludicrous. A late first rounder? Are you guys crazy.

Its way to simple for people to say "oh you crazy Jets fans over value your players". If Chevy announced an auction for Kane and Buff tomorrow, the bidding would be surprise a lot of you.

You don't think they haven't entertained offers for those guys?

Kane is a bonafide number 1 left wing right now.  There is no debate on that.

You're in the middle of a debate about it, so that probably means there is.

Touche.  There *shouldnt* be a debate about it.  He's the #1 LW on the team (regardless of who is the so-called first line).  Kane-Scheif-Wheeler is the top line on this team right now, barring trades.

If Kane can work on seeing the ice better and contributing to developing plays, especially on medium tempo rushes rather than his 100mph sprints, he can become one of the best left wingers in the league.  It's a disservice to call him a one-trick pony because he has way more skill than that, but he still needs to add more tools to his game.  He forces plays with his speed because it's done some good things for him in the past, but this is not the only way of generating offence.  In the past he had no one to play with him and had to do so much on his own that this made sense.  Now he has better players around him.  He needs to play off of them rather than always forcing them to keep up with him.