TSN Off-Season Game Plan: Winnipeg Jets

Did you listen to what Tallon said on TSN last night on their mock draft show? said he wants a good young player who can play and contribute for years to come and a draft pick. Straight from the horses mouth. I get it, you think Kane is the cats ass, he's the Jets best player so I don't blame you, but the Jets don't have a lot of talent, Kane isn't as good as you think. First overalls these days get you better players than Evander Kane, especially when the top of this draft is 3 centres and a defenseman, all of which are valued much more highly than wingers who only score goals. 

especially when the top of this draft is 3 centres and a defenseman, all of which are valued much more highly than wingers who only score goals. 

Value is in the eye of the beholder.  The Jets have quite a few prospects at center and at D.  They have very little at left wing.  Kane does have more value to the Jets than he would to many other teams.

As for the trade being discussed, Tallon is basically saying he is open to ridiculous offers if someone wants to make one.  I doubt the Jets make a ridiculous offer.  From what I've seen, Chevy is sensible to a fault.  If this was a draft that included a once-in-a-generation player, then you make that ridiculous offer.  Get that next Crosby or Tavares.  For Ekblad?  No.

and that's why all the talk about the Jets making a trade for first overall is ridiculous. Hell the offer Vancouver apparently made is ridiculous and it still wasn't enough for Florida to move the pick. 

I'm wholeheartedly inclined to agree except

Jets pushing for #1 pick? I doubt they pull it off, what would it take?

@GareJoyceNHL: Hard push for #1 overall by Vancouver & Winnipeg. Most yrs I don't see it happening but think there's >50% chance it happens.

Winnipeg is such an unlikely choice for random made-up draft trade rumours that something like this showing up nudges me in the direction of the old smoke/fire adage.

But of course I don't twit or pay attention to who does, so for all I know this could be the handle of Gary Bettman.  Or my plumber.  Hi Randy.  He's reading this, right, that's how the internet works?

and that's why all the talk about the Jets making a trade for first overall is ridiculous. Hell the offer Vancouver apparently made is ridiculous and it still wasn't enough for Florida to move the pick. 

Which Vancouver offer are you talking about? The only one I remember from this thread was Tanev + #6, which is only ridiculous for how short that would come up in getting them the pick.

Rumour is that Vancouver offered 6th overall, Shinkaruk and a roster player for the pick and Florida didn't take it. 

That one.

To offer that much to move up 5 spots there better be a pretty big prize at the end.  To me, Ekblad isn't that prize.  But the Nucks have different needs than the Jets.

Rumour is that Vancouver offered 6th overall, Shinkaruk and a roster player for the pick and Florida didn't take it. 

That one.

To offer that much to move up 5 spots there better be a pretty big prize at the end.  To me, Ekblad isn't that prize.  But the Nucks have different needs than the Jets.

That offer's a lot stronger. I think the issue with Eklad is that there isn't another dman in this draft who's nearly as good as him. That's why there might be a bidding war to get him.

The Canucks probably want Sam Reinhart, He's a local boy and fits the needs of their team. Nucks are going to be in rebuild mode shortly, if they aren't already, probably be trading Kesler (Anaheim). If you look at what the Canucks have in their system, It's not much really.. Horvat and That's it, Shinkaruk is over rated. It's basically Horvat and that's about it. If Vancouver trades up, It's for Reinhart. 

I think the Winnipeg offer is probably the "stronger' offer Tallon referred too. Not sure what they are offering, but i'd suspect it's better than the Canucks offer

If the Jets get the 1st?? 

Our D is pretty solid and has potential to be good moving forward. Bogo.Toby.Trouba. Morissey. I don't think they go D 

Centre? Scheif,Little? Is that a legit 1 2 or is it more so 2 3? Don't think we get that number 1 Centre this draft though

Left Wing. Ladd,Kane.  Could take Bennett if we had the 1st pick, not this year, needs to get stronger but in a couple years, he could make a very good 1st or even 2nd line LW or Centre for that matter, Think if Jets take him, he's playing the wing though

Right Wing? Not much depth there outside of Wheeler,Buff (who i think will be moved) and Frolik. No real RW's out there that could go 1st overall, so if they pick 1st, Doubt you see a right wing.. 

If the Jets stay at 9.. Kasperi Kapanen or Jake Virtanen (if they both fall, they might) would be good choices I  feel. 

Kapanens dad is Sami, PoMo was a fan of Sami, Kasperi is a good 2 way winger/Centre. Be a good fit i think. 

Vancouver definitely wants Reinhart if they move up. It seems like for some reason his value has fallen off in the eyes of everyone making the rankings but I can't for the life of me figure out why.... puts up good numbers offensively, has decent size at 6'1 180ish pounds and is apparently a very smart player... what's not to like about a prospect like that?

Did you listen to what Tallon said on TSN last night on their mock draft show? said he wants a good young player who can play and contribute for years to come and a draft pick. Straight from the horses mouth. I get it, you think Kane is the cats ass, he's the Jets best player so I don't blame you, but the Jets don't have a lot of talent, Kane isn't as good as you think. First overalls these days get you better players than Evander Kane, especially when the top of this draft is 3 centres and a defenseman, all of which are valued much more highly than wingers who only score goals.

Did he say a top ten draft pick? No he didn't. Use your head.

The Canucks probably want Sam Reinhart, He's a local boy and fits the needs of their team. Nucks are going to be in rebuild mode shortly, if they aren't already, probably be trading Kesler (Anaheim). If you look at what the Canucks have in their system, It's not much really.. Horvat and That's it, Shinkaruk is over rated. It's basically Horvat and that's about it. If Vancouver trades up, It's for Reinhart. 

I think the Winnipeg offer is probably the "stronger' offer Tallon referred too. Not sure what they are offering, but i'd suspect it's better than the Canucks offer

If the Jets get the 1st?? 

Our D is pretty solid and has potential to be good moving forward. Bogo.Toby.Trouba. Morissey. I don't think they go D 

Centre? Scheif,Little? Is that a legit 1 2 or is it more so 2 3? Don't think we get that number 1 Centre this draft though

Left Wing. Ladd,Kane.  Could take Bennett if we had the 1st pick, not this year, needs to get stronger but in a couple years, he could make a very good 1st or even 2nd line LW or Centre for that matter, Think if Jets take him, he's playing the wing though

Right Wing? Not much depth there outside of Wheeler,Buff (who i think will be moved) and Frolik. No real RW's out there that could go 1st overall, so if they pick 1st, Doubt you see a right wing.. 

If the Jets stay at 9.. Kasperi Kapanen or Jake Virtanen (if they both fall, they might) would be good choices I  feel. 

Kapanens dad is Sami, PoMo was a fan of Sami, Kasperi is a good 2 way winger/Centre. Be a good fit i think. 

The Jets still need help at every position.  It's just some spots are less desperate than others.  Right now they would be best served taking a forward.  Obviously.

If they trade Kane it very likely means they are picking up a LW in free agency.  Really, they would have to.  They already need another LW even if they don't trade him.  Trading Kane on it's own doesn't make much sense for their current roster, doing it as part of a larger strategy has some value to this club.

Ignoring needs, I like Draisaitl.

Couturior would have to be involved I think.  I like Schenn but Im not there yet as far as him being a top six guy. 

For the draft, maybe Brendan Perlini?

If the jets wanted Couturier they would have taken him over Scheifele when they had the chance.

At 9, I'm thinking Nylander or Kapanen if they are still available. 

Couturior would have to be involved I think.  I like Schenn but Im not there yet as far as him being a top six guy. 

For the draft, maybe Brendan Perlini?

If the jets wanted Couturier they would have taken him over Scheifele when they had the chance.

At 9, I'm thinking Nylander or Kapanen if they are still available. 

Not really.  At the time they valued Scheif more.  Im sure they still do.  But I am also sure they'd want Couturier if making a blockbuster trade with the Flyers.

Apparently the Jets are one of several teams that have "reached out" to Paul Stastny.  That would be a heck of a free agent grab.  Made $6.6 million last season.

Eklund rumour:

On Dustin Byfuglien

Hearing the Flyers are going to make a huge push tomorrow and Byfuglien wants to move and be a defenseman...

***If there is any truth to Buff *wanting* to go to Philly, then I think this might happen.  He's been linked to the Flyers before.

What is the best get from the Flyer for Buff?

Also, apparently Jets talked to Jussi Jokinen today.  I'd love to have him here.  He can play either wing though is especially a LW and can play Centre.  I wonder if Jets see him as the answer at 3C.  Also, Mason Raymond wants 3X3.  I'd do that.

If those are the only two moves you make and your lineup looks like this, Im happy:

Kane-Scheif-Wheeler

Ladd-Little-Frolik

Raymond-Jussi-Buff

Halischuk-Slater-Peluso

Enstrom - Trouba

Clitsome - Bogo

Stuart - Redmond/Postma

Morrisey

Eklund rumour:

On Dustin Byfuglien

Hearing the Flyers are going to make a huge push tomorrow and Byfuglien wants to move and be a defenseman...

***If there is any truth to Buff *wanting* to go to Philly, then I think this might happen.  He's been linked to the Flyers before.

What is the best get from the Flyer for Buff?

Also, apparently Jets talked to Jussi Jokinen today.  I'd love to have him here.  He can play either wing though is especially a LW and can play Centre.  I wonder if Jets see him as the answer at 3C.  Also, Mason Raymond wants 3X3.  I'd do that.

If those are the only two moves you make and your lineup looks like this, Im happy:

Kane-Scheif-Wheeler

Ladd-Little-Frolik

Raymond-Jussi-Buff

Halischuk-Slater-Peluso

Enstrom - Trouba

Clitsome - Bogo

Stuart - Redmond/Postma

Morrisey

That gets you 3 pretty good lines.  Potentially 1 great line and 2 pretty good lines.  That would be enough to contend for 8th in the conference.

Not sure Buff, Jokinen Raymond screams obvious chemistry to me though.