TSN Off-Season Game Plan: Winnipeg Jets

Chris Thorburn resigns with Jets. 3 years. $1.2m per year

I thought we might be able to upgrade there but I like the signing. Good 4th line guy. Filled in surprisingly well when we had injuries. Cheap rate for three years

lol are you serious with the cheap rate? you could sign a guy for league minimum to do nothing also. This is an awful deal. 1.2 million for what? no need to watch the free agent frenzy tomorrow cuz we are DOING NOTHING AGAIN.

I thought we might be able to upgrade there but I like the signing. Good 4th line guy. Filled in surprisingly well when we had injuries. Cheap rate for three years

lol are you serious with the cheap rate? you could sign a guy for league minimum to do nothing also. This is an awful deal. 1.2 million for what? no need to watch the free agent frenzy tomorrow cuz we are DOING NOTHING AGAIN.

Disagreeing is one thing. Irrational nonsense is quite another.

Disagreeing is one thing. Irrational nonsense is quite another.

http://www.capgeek.com/comparables/?player_id=351 <-- Irrational nonsense? dude, you love every player on the team, i want them to get better, how do you get better if you stay the same? You are the one being irrational. Sheep there with the Jets. This is a bad move. Turrible. awful. Not a step in the right direction.

This is a pretty cool story on Chase De Leo (drafted this year by the Jets) and Eric Comrie (Jets goalie prospect).

They grew up together, and best friends.  This was a pact they signed together when they were kids, and now, they are both prospects of the Jets, with a very real chance of actually playing in the NHL together.

i dont care about the money, the cap is going up, the money is actually somewhat irrelevant, its the 3 year term that sucks. Do you guys see what the teams in our division are doing? We are years away from competing for a playoff spot, the best thing to do is tank for mcdavid or eichel cuz we got no chance in hell.... trade ladd buff enstrom wheeler little even cuz you know what... we aint competing any time soon.

Calling it now, we get a top 5 pick in the 2015 draft. 

Every other team is getting better in our division, we are staying the same. I don't see how anyone can think that we actually have a chance at competing, competing for last overall? sure, for the playoffs? not a chance. I liked the pardy signing, he's a solid depth move, i liked the fact they didn't qualify a couple of guys who didn't do much last season, i don't like the thorburn signing, i was hoping we would actually move on and try to get better, we aren't tho, we are content on staying the exact same, the same team that was brought here is the same team we have now minus trouba scheif and frolik really. How have we gotten better? That's what i'm saying, how have we actually gotten better? 3 players? and what? tangradi? wow huge pickup, peluso? huuge pickup, plan the parade we have brought in pardy tangradi frolik and peluso. 

I don't see how we get better when we stay the same. Especially when the other teams in our division are going after "stars" left right and centre. 

What's wrong with the Thorburn signing?  The guy is a good community guy,  plays with a lot of grit and a bit more versatile then Peluso.     If he was such garbage then why did San Jose make a pitch for him at the trade dead line?    For that small price it's a decent signing.

While it would be awesome to sign some huge superstar....  I would like to know which guys are available right now?   I direct this question to Goalie as he makes it seem like every single other team is signing superstars left and right and the Jets are standing pat.  

What's wrong with the Thorburn signing?  The guy is a good community guy,  plays with a lot of grit and a bit more versatile then Peluso.     If he was such garbage then why did San Jose make a pitch for him at the trade dead line?    For that small price it's a decent signing.

While it would be awesome to sign some huge superstar....  I would like to know which guys are available right now?   I direct this question to Goalie as he makes it seem like every single other team is signing superstars left and right and the Jets are standing pat.  

you will see tomorrow, wild after vanek and iginla, hawks and blues after stastny, loser will trade for spezza, nasvhille gonna be active too, nashvilles goalie was hurt all last season pretty much, we are finishing last in our division, bet on it cuz its a safe bet. How are we getting better though? The teams in our division are already very good, the hawks blues an wild and now avs are legit playoff contenders, nashville? maybe not but... we definitely aren't. Teams aren't signing guys right now but they will tomorrow. Count on it. 

Maybe we will sign a matt mouslon but i'd suspect not, look for guys none of us have heard of. Thats who the jets will be after. we are in the toughest if not second toughest division in the league, i dont see how we can compete with chicago st louis minnesota and colorado. I just don't see it. If you do, please enlighten me, cuz i just don't see how its possible when they are already better than us and we are doing nothing to get better. 

Yeah goalie you are the definition of irrational.

It's not the deal I would have signed. But Thorburn did have other offers. Who knows what they were. But I doubt thorburns agent said "we want $800,000" and Chevy replied "would you take $1.2 million instead?"

He's versatile in that he can at up and down the line up in a pinch. He may not be successful at it. But when he played on the second line he was not a liability. He didn't do squat but wasn't a liability. There are fourth line guys that can't be anything but a fourth line guy.

We all whine about depth. This is depth. This is a hard working guy who wants to be here. He's the type of guy that when the jets make the playoffs, he will be bleeding and stitched up every game.

We can look at numbers and comps. But we're not on the team. Chevy and Maurice wanted Thorburn back bad enough to pay him.

Don't want vanek. Don't want spezza. Jets made a play for Stastny but were one of many teams he doesn't want to play for. We will be in on jussi. We might be in on Ollie. Maybe moulson.

You want the jets to throw money at superstars? Why. To be a cap team that still isn't a contender. You don't buy a championship. You draft a championship. Be patient.

Don't want vanek. Don't want spezza. Jets made a play for Stastny but were one of many teams he doesn't want to play for. We will be in on jussi. We might be in on Ollie. Maybe moulson.

You want the jets to throw money at superstars? Why. To be a cap team that still isn't a contender. You don't buy a championship. You draft a championship. Be patient.

No doubts....  I'd rather the team keep focusing on the young guys ... who knows maybe in a year or two Petan and Kosmachuk join the team and light it up and by that time Schiefle is an all star....   

I can see the Jets signing a decent FA or two... but they won't make a big splash.  No need to. 

He's not garbage - he's a perfectly good depth guy.  The problem is the Jets already have a bunch of depth guys.  Too many.  Every team needs a player or two like him; we have a half dozen.

Goalie is way over the top in his reactions to...well, everything the Jets haven't done, but in this case there is some validity in this point.  Not all the other crazy that surrounds it.

And 1.2 million is a lot to pay a guy who can't score and gets kinda pummeled against the league's heavyweights.  Valiant, but pummeled.

Every other team is getting better in our division, we are staying the same.

That's pretty short sighted.  Stockpiling tons of young talent that we did not have before isn't staying the same.  Just because the benefits are not immediate does not mean we are staying the same.

the playoffs? not a chance.

Why are you putting so much weight on making the playoffs?  Why are defining our success as whether or not we make the playoffs this season.  Should the goal of this franchise be to match Columbus?  They made the playoffs.

Personally I'm happy the goal of this franchise is to match Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles.  Teams that have a legitimate shot to win the Stanley Cup every year.  Not because they squeaked into the 8th place playoff slot, because they have assembled a powerful franchise.

Honestly the big name FAs seldom wind up being worth the money you spend on them. The best guys to target in FA are the under rated guys you can get on a decent contract. 

It's true...  I looked at the list and you have a bunch of guys making Ollie or more money and they end up scoring as many points as a Frolik and they usually don't have a good two way game.  

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents

Outside of Stastny ... their is no real superstar free agents on the market.  Most of the guys are either washed up or good depth players.

Certainly not a "big" signing, but didn't really expect any from the Jets.

Will likely slot in as the 3rd line centre replacing Jokinen behind Scheifele and Little.

Apparently he spent some time last season on the Ducks 2nd line with Selanne.

Perreault is a nice signing, he is a good bottom 6 centre.  With that being said though

Stastny to our division in st louis, they get better

Spezza traded to our division in Dallas, hemsky signs there, they get better

Vanek to Minny, they get better. 

Chicago is Chicago and Colorado is a very good young team... Face the facts,we aren't doing much this season, lottery pick for sure.

Winnipeg Jets: Fueled by Mediocrity. Over the top my ass. 

Iginla to colorado. awesome. 

Why the playoffs? because, we haven't been there,because our management keeps speaking of the playoffs?  to get our young guys like scheif and trouba some experience? You don't think making the playoffs should be a goal? That's crazy talk if you think that, how do you win a stanley cup if you don't make the playoffs? we aint winning a cup but... it would be nice to actually have a competitive team for a change, not one competing for last in our stacked central division.

I won't criticize Chevy. He's not a horse-trader by nature and nature hasn't called

He loves playing his cards close to the vest but checks out when raised.

Even with one or two good pickups Jets are still 78 to 86 point mopers next year. (ie. NOT A PLAYOFF SQUAD)

No real superstars, indifferent goal-tending, sub-average 3rd and 4th line forward depth. 

Another year of floating in near-playoff space buys Chevy time to get some of his younger troops ready for real game action in 2016.

So he's not giving up any of his draft picks. Not trading Kane, Buff or Toby Enstrom. Basically leaving things as is. 

They'll say they'll be trying to make playoffs but every team says that.

The reality is they're still not good enough. 

Actually, after some thinking, the problem for the jets last year was 2 things, goaltending and the bottom 6. Perreault helps the bottom 6. If we could add a couple more wingers or a guy like winnik, we might not be as awful as i originally thought. Goaltending will be an issue though, that is what is holding us back. Hopefully Hutch takes Pavs job and wins a few more games for us. The jets do have a good top 2 lines, Kane Scheif Wheeler and Ladd little frolik are a pretty decent top 6. Perreault is the start of a nice 3rd line also. If we can get some just average NHL goaltending, we might not be as bad as i thought. 

I personally don't have much faith because of what the central has done today but... you never know, you dont make the playoffs on July 1st but man oh man, the central division is so stacked its crazy. I'm honestly not sure how we can compete with the other teams in our division, but we will probably be pretty decent in a few years. 

Perhaps short term pain for long term gain. Wouldn't hurt if we got a top 3 overall pick in the draft, would actually help lots. Honestly, didn't expect the Jets to do much today, seems to be some massive over payments going on (thats what the "frenzy" is all about) orpik got over paid, i'd argue niskanen will be also. 

Buffalo and Florida being active makes sense, they need to get to the cap floor... I just hope the Jets aren't done just yet, couple interesting names still out there that would look good in a jets jersey. Gotta be realistic i guess, the "stars" won't sign here, until we start winning consistently at least, even then, i'm not sure if they do, winnipeg is probably near the bottom of most players lists in terms of where they want to go. 

I might take a chance on del zotto and i'd look at winnik too. The rest though? not much left. 

Defenceman Zach Redmond leaves #NHLJets organization for #Avs

— Ken Wiebe (@WiebeSunSports)

July 1, 2014

Sad to see Redmond go, would rather have him in our bottom pairing that a guy like Clitsome. But as far as prospect depth, we are probably deepest at D.

That sucks but.... like you said, lots of depth on the D. That's too bad, i liked Redmond but... i'm not surprised here at all. He will play more in Colorado.