TSN Off-Season Game Plan: Winnipeg Jets

Same tinny every year. Teams over spend. Jets don't. And the fans here wring their hands over our lack of activity. Can you imagine being the Capitals? Niskanen was the butt of jokes for years and had one good year and Washington backed up the brings truck. Worse yet they signed an over the hill Orpik to a long term deal. Yikes. If caps don't win soon that franchise is in trouble.

niskanen is actually pretty good but not worth what they paid him, that orpik deal made me sick to my stomach. If anyone needs a few examples of why the jets dont get involved much in the frenzy, actually, it's pretty much the same teams every year involved in the frenzy and where do they end up normally? watching the playoffs just like the jets, but niskanens contract, orpiks contract and bollands contract and i'm gonna say jussi jokinens contract (he's not a spring chicken anymore) are prime examples. 

Last year, the leafs signed clarkson to a what 7 year 35 million deal, where did that get them? below the jets in the standings. These moves sometimes backfire on teams. I'd even go as far as to say that most these "frenzy" day deals don't work out at all in the end. 

Oh and Ryan Miller, i think it's a good move for the Canucks, i do but... Miller couldn't get the job done with a much better St Louis team, not sure why the Canucks gave him 6 million a year, this isn't 2010 Ryan Miller. 

Vancouver is dangerously close to being one of those teams that tries to reload instead of rebuild and ends up worse for it. Like Calgary for years.

I think you are correct, i wonder if they worry that their fan base is too fickle and won't allow them to have a proper re-build. They may not be calling it a re-build, but i think that's what it is eventually going to have to become. Canucks aren't good enough, they just aren't. Their window has closed. 

Same tinny every year. Teams over spend. Jets don't. And the fans here wring their hands over our lack of activity. Can you imagine being the Capitals? Niskanen was the butt of jokes for years and had one good year and Washington backed up the brings truck. Worse yet they signed an over the hill Orpik to a long term deal. Yikes. If caps don't win soon that franchise is in trouble.

niskanen is actually pretty good but not worth what they paid him, that orpik deal made me sick to my stomach. If anyone needs a few examples of why the jets dont get involved much in the frenzy, actually, it's pretty much the same teams every year involved in the frenzy and where do they end up normally? watching the playoffs just like the jets, but niskanens contract, orpiks contract and bollands contract and i'm gonna say jussi jokinens contract (he's not a spring chicken anymore) are prime examples. 

Last year, the leafs signed clarkson to a what 7 year 35 million deal, where did that get them? below the jets in the standings. These moves sometimes backfire on teams. I'd even go as far as to say that most these "frenzy" day deals don't work out at all in the end. 

Oh and Ryan Miller, i think it's a good move for the Canucks, i do but... Miller couldn't get the job done with a much better St Louis team, not sure why the Canucks gave him 6 million a year, this isn't 2010 Ryan Miller. 

The main difference between Winnipeg and all these free spenders is the free spenders are in a furious frenzy to get better while the Jets are willing to stick with their own guys. The result is probably the same. None of them will be serious contenders. But at least the jets save a pizzpot full o money . . .  and will sell out each 'n every game plus huge merchandizing sales. The only guy I've seen at money/age that could help Jets a tiny bit was Paul Stasny. I don't think a 37 yr old Iginla could help much. Jorges might have been a good #3 d-man in Wpg but not at the money thrown at him. I'd also take a gander at James 'Smiley' Reimer and let training camp/1st 12 games decide our 1-2 goalie situation with Pavelec, Reimer and the kid from St. Johns. 

If you could only bank saved cap space - Chevy would be a monster in 2 or 3 years.

Im torn on Reimer.  If we didnt have Hutch, I'd say for sure bring in Reimer.  Problem is, Hutch is waiver eligiable this season.  So you get into some complications if you're carrying three goalies.  Reimer would push Pavs.  Chevy has stated Hutch deserves a chance to compete for the back up job but said there would be competition.  Im not sure who that would be.  You're not going to sign a top goalie on a one-way deal and then send him to St John's if Hutch wins the back up spot.  I think the Jets' depth chart is Pavs - Hutch.

There are guys I would have wanted, like Jussi Jokinen or Mason Raymond but ultimately, the Jets played this right.  They got the one guy that works for Winnipeg and could be a sleeper signing.  Perrault has a lot of upside and could or should have a career season with the Jets in terms of points.  I'd still like to see someone else brought in like Vrbata or maybe even Booth or Winnick.  But if Lowry or Klingberg are potential bottom six, then the Jets have improved...just not as much as our rivals it seems.  But again, every year there are teams who look unstoppable on paper that just dont have the right mix.  Hopefully thats a couple of Central Division teams.

Anyone thing Ehlers might get a shot with the team this year?  165 lbs says no...but can he put on 10-15 lbs in the off-season?

Nashville didn't do much, Colorado actually might have got a bit worse losing stastny and picking up Iginla, If Varlamov don't play like he did last season, Colorado could be in a bit of trouble. 

Jets will probably compete for a wild card spot. 

Anyone thing Ehlers might get a shot with the team this year?  165 lbs says no...but can he put on 10-15 lbs in the off-season?

Wasn't last year his first season playing hockey in North America?  Young, small, fresh out of the box smell - he won't be wearing a Jets jersey past 10 games.  It sure looks like he has crazy offensive talents though.  He will be a fun one to watch someday.  He still has holes in his game now, work on them for a while before bringing him up.

Jets will probably compete for a wild card spot. 

Was true before the draft, true before the opening of free agency, true in 2 months time.

I see it driving home from work every day - there's always a couple of drivers cutting in and out of traffic, lane to lane to lane, trying to get ahead of one more car.  They're trying to win the drive home.  Yet every red light, who's there next to them?  The same cars they think they are "beating".  Traffic moves at the rate traffic moves.

One team will win the cup in July 2015.  Someone will point to a free agent signing or a trade deadline move or whatever as a reason.  Yet all 29 other teams were doing the same thing.  Jets fans will say only 28 were.

The Jets are climbing their way out of the muck one slow step at a time.  It's tedious.  We want them to just grab a jetpack and zoom on out immediately.  Scheiffle, Trouba, Morrisey, Elhers.  These guys are all looking like fantastic picks.  Petan, Lowry, Comrie, Hellebyuk.  The current plan looks like a pretty good one.  It just doesn't reward the impatient.  But in 3 years time most of these guys will be in our starting lineup, playing together, growing together.  In 5 years time these guys might all be contending together, year after year.  Imagine going into every season with this team being spoken about in the same breath as Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis, LA and Chicago.  Those teams weren't constructed on splash, they were constructed on savvy.

I agree with you there MBRG. It's a smart way to do things, just got caught up a bit yesterday in the "frenzy".

In Jets "related" news, Olli Jokinen signs 1 year 2.5 million deal with Nashville. 

very interesting. For 1 year $2.5 million, Im surprised the Jets didnt bring him back...

Well, he probably wanted more to remain here. Jets moved on and glad they did. They upgraded him too, perreault had the same amount of points in 15 less games and is 10 years younger.  Jokinen never really lived up to his 4.5 million a year contract. Glad he is gone. 

Im torn on Reimer.  If we didnt have Hutch, I'd say for sure bring in Reimer.  Problem is, Hutch is waiver eligiable this season.  So you get into some complications if you're carrying three goalies.  Reimer would push Pavs.  Chevy has stated Hutch deserves a chance to compete for the back up job but said there would be competition.  Im not sure who that would be.  You're not going to sign a top goalie on a one-way deal and then send him to St John's if Hutch wins the back up spot.  I think the Jets' depth chart is Pavs - Hutch.

There are guys I would have wanted, like Jussi Jokinen or Mason Raymond but ultimately, the Jets played this right.  They got the one guy that works for Winnipeg and could be a sleeper signing.  Perrault has a lot of upside and could or should have a career season with the Jets in terms of points.  I'd still like to see someone else brought in like Vrbata or maybe even Booth or Winnick.  But if Lowry or Klingberg are potential bottom six, then the Jets have improved...just not as much as our rivals it seems.  But again, every year there are teams who look unstoppable on paper that just dont have the right mix.  Hopefully thats a couple of Central Division teams.

If Ehlers plays anything more than a handful of exhibition games something is terribly wrong in Jetsville. He's just not big and strong enough to withstand capital punishment in the league. If he shows a bit in the exhibitions they might do the same thing as they did with Schief - give him a handful of real NHL games and then send him back to Halifax.

If Ehlers plays anything more than a handful of exhibition games something is terribly wrong in Jetsville. He's just not big and strong enough to withstand capital punishment in the league. If he shows a bit in the exhibitions they might do the same thing as they did with Schief - give him a handful of real NHL games and then send him back to Halifax.

He's got the whole summer to get bigger but the Jets never rush their prospects, he might play a handful of games with the club this season, not enough so his ELC kicks in though and they will send him back  down to Halifax like they did with Scheif going back to Barrie, Trouba going to Michigan and Morissey staying in Prince Albert. 

We certainly don't know if he can handle the physical nature of the NHL. He's ten lbs lighter than our new centre.

If we started our youngsters at centre we'd certainly have the lightest and probably weakest (strength-wise) group in NHL history. 

Schief is 6'2" and listed at 185

Little is 5'11" and lists at 180

Ehlers is 5'11.5" and lists at 162

Even Schief has to get to Jonathan Toews level (200 lbs.)

Little wore down badly down the stretch last year according to Kelly Moore at CJOB.

Hutchinson is absolutely here to compete for the starting spot but Chevy isn't going to saddle his coach with a goaltending controversy...

Ehlers is not going to be here until 2-16 at best... in fact, Petan pretty much has to flame out for Ehlers to ever get a real shot imo - very similar players

Hutchinson is absolutely here to compete for the starting spot but Chevy isn't going to saddle his coach with a goaltending controversy...

Ehlers is not going to be here until 2-16 at best... in fact, Petan pretty much has to flame out for Ehlers to ever get a real shot imo - very similar players

You serious here? 

Petan is an undersized skilled centre, ehlers is 5'11 and a left or right winger.. What the heck you smoking here? I like petan too but... The only similarties are skiled forwards with speed. They play different positions even, hell petan was taken in the 2nd round, ehlers with the 9th overall.. I'm sorry but thats a ridiculous statement to make, petan has to flame out in order for ehlers to get a real chance? Not at all, seriously, how the hell did you come to this conclusion? are you basing this on Nate being wrong again and saying ehlers is a centre when in fact he's a left wing but can play the right side too? 

I'll take this one step further, Little is signed long term, scheif aint going anywhere, perreault was just signed to a 3 year deal.. Those are our top 3 centres moving forward (next 3 years at least). Petan isn't close to be NHL ready, he will spend significant time in st johns, actually based on them signing perreault, you can say petan is 3 years away unless they move him to the wing, which they might. Ehlers is a winger, not a centre. 

We certainly don't know if he can handle the physical nature of the NHL. He's ten lbs lighter than our new centre.

If we started our youngsters at centre we'd certainly have the lightest and probably weakest (strength-wise) group in NHL history. 

Schief is 6'2" and listed at 185

Little is 5'11" and lists at 180

Ehlers is 5'11.5" and lists at 162

Even Schief has to get to Jonathan Toews level (200 lbs.)

Little word down badly down the stretch last year according to Kelly Moore at CJOB.

ehlers is left wing or right wing, not sure why you are comparing him to our centres exactly and little was our best player last season by far, kelly moore is not the be all and end all. As a matter of fact, CJOB isn't the be all and end all. Little wore down badly? maybe cuz scheif was hurt and jokinen sucked so little played 50 minutes a game really.  Again not really sure why you are comparing a winger in ehlers to our centres, little scheif perreault are our centres for the next 3 years at least. Do some research man, its not hard to figure out that ehlers isn't a centre, doesn't project to be a centre, and is a left or right winger. I mean really.. He's listed as a LW but some think he could play the right side, he is not a centre and the jets didn't draft him to become a centre. 

I would certainly expect Ehlers to make the jets for the 2015/16 season.  if Ladd and Kane are both here, there's our top three LW.  As stated, our top three C's are Little, Scheif, Perrault.  That leaves the RW where Wheeler and soon to be Frolik have long term deals.  I think Buff is the odd man out (he actually played better as a LW last season) or might find himself back on the blue-line but as a second pairing D.

Here's a name I hadnt thought of - Peter Mueller.  I'd take a one year chance on him.  Good size, talent (offense diminshed since his rookie year though) and he's from Minnesota.

My hope is Petan is ready to compete in 2015-16. For Ehlers 2016-17. Morrisey is the wild card - I hope he can draw into the lineup as a rotational #3 guy this year but don't know if he's gonna be able to handle rugged going. Might have to rotate him with someone like Pardy and move another guy up to 3.

My hope is Petan is ready to compete in 2015-16. For Ehlers 2016-17. Morrisey is the wild card - I hope he can draw into the lineup as a rotational #3 guy this year but don't know if he's gonna be able to handle rugged going. Might have to rotate him with someone like Pardy and move another guy up to 3.

Not sure what you mean by rotational guy, but if Morrisey isn't going to get regular playing time, if he can't show enough in TC or the first couple of games, he will be sent back down to juniors so he can get regular minutes.

Get the feeling that morissey makes the team this season, i'm not so sure he was that far away from making it last season but sent him back just cuz that's what the Jets do, Think the only way the Jets have a "rookie" starting in their first year is they somehow manage to get one of those once in a lifetime type players, crosbys, malkins, mcdavid, eichel, ekblad if they had the first pick this year..  otherwise they send them back to junior for a year. Morissey is very good, seems to be somewhat under rated here, looked very good in pre-season last year. THink he makes the team this season. Petan is a centre and unless they move him to wing (they might), he will see some time in St Johns, wouldn't surprise me if Petan does make the team this year if they convert him to wing but... i think he's back in junior or the AHL (if he's eligible) this season. 

Ehlers will be good to go next season, he's very good and i feel nate hasn't really watched the kid play at all, or hasn't really hear of him and is just basing his thoughts on nothing really. Watch him nate, go out to the prospect camp next week, see him live, your opinion will change.  The guy is a stud and will be a stud, has all the skills needed to be a top 2, heck top line winger but... like mentioned if kane and ladd are here the next few years still, ehlers next season will start on the "third" line. They call him the "danish drouin" for a reason, just like JD will have a nice year for Tbay this season, Ehlers will do the same for us next season. Count on it. Morissey makes it this season. 

Bogo Trouba Postma

Enstrom, ??, stuart.     pardy

Clitsome? i don't know if he will be ready to go in time. I could see Morissey getting that pairing with Trouba. 

Things can change though, who knows, maybe we see a trade or 2, if the philly rumour which won't die turns out to be true and Philly is after Buff, wouldn't shock me if the Jets get a D man back in that deal. Honestly with Phillys cap issue , i wouldn't be surprised if we got something like Coburn and Read back in return for Buff. But i'm gonna say it now, doubt philly would do it, maybe but doubt it... I'd take Jacob Voracek plus a prospect or pick straight up for Buff. 

Kane, Scheif,Wheeler. Ladd, Little,Voracek. ??, Perreault,Frolik. <--- one more player and you got a nice top 9.

Anyway though, i'll end it on this note, i look at a team like Edmonton who have some young kids, those young kids never really played much junior, i want to say they rushed RNH, i think they rushed Yakupov, They may have rushed Eberle too (although he's just a pure goal scorer), Hall too, did all he could do in junior but still, one more year to bulk up wouldn't have hurt them. Think the Jets and honestly every other team besides Edmonton, lets their kids develop properly cuz if you don't, you get a bunch of undersized forwards who can score goals but can't play D at all. 

Ehlers will be good to go next season, he's very good and i feel nate hasn't really watched the kid play at all, or hasn't really hear of him and is just basing his thoughts on nothing really. Watch him nate, go out to the prospect camp next week, see him live, your opinion will change.  The guy is a stud and will be a stud, has all the skills needed to be a top 2, heck top line winger but... like mentioned if kane and ladd are here the next few years still, ehlers next season will start on the "third" line. They call him the "danish drouin" for a reason, just like JD will have a nice year for Tbay this season, Ehlers will do the same for us next season. Count on it.

In terms of pure offence, he may already be the most skilled player in the Jets organization.  Thinking of someone to compare him to, maybe Patrick Kane?  That doesn't mean he's ready yet, but when he is, this kid has a very high ceiling.