TSN Off-Season Game Plan: Winnipeg Jets

I sort of got the impression during the draft that Ehlers might have the potential to play this season.  He certainly seems to think he can.  His weight might be an issue but its all about strength on skates and escapability.  5'11", 165 lbs.  So they'll call him 6'0", 170 in camp.  Maybe he can add ten lbs of muscle over the summer.

Petan cannot go to the AHL yet, I dont believe.  Morriseey can't either.  Thats a real shame.  There should be a loop hole for players that are clearly too good for Junior but need time playing against men in the AHL.

Reports are the Jets having had a couple of conversations with Lee Stempniak.  I could see that as a one year stop gap at RW.  I would suspect that would mean (barring trades):

Kane - Sheif - Wheeler

Buff - Perrault - Stempniak

Ladd - Little - Frolik

Or swap Kane and Buff.

I think my first choice is Mueller and maybe Heatley.  But Stempniak probably serves a useful purpose until some of the "kids" are ready.

I sort of got the impression during the draft that Ehlers might have the potential to play this season.  He certainly seems to think he can.  His weight might be an issue but its all about strength on skates and escapability.  5'11", 165 lbs.  So they'll call him 6'0", 170 in camp.  Maybe he can add ten lbs of muscle over the summer.

Petan cannot go to the AHL yet, I dont believe.  Morriseey can't either.  Thats a real shame.  There should be a loop hole for players that are clearly too good for Junior but need time playing against men in the AHL.

You can call him 6'0" and 180 by loading him up with a bunch of rolled loonies but the fact remains he'll be competing against checkers and d-men who average 6'1" to 6'3" and 195 to 230..... an 18 yr old kid doesn't have the inherent metabolism to put on a ton of weight in just one off-season.

I think Schiefele is going to be at least as heavy as Jonathan Toews, Trouba is already near his goal weight - just needs a bit more strength and some added finesse.

If Morrisey makes the team I can see him playing 40 to 50 games, occasionally being a healthy scratch where there's expected heavy slogging. 

If Petan can't crack the lineup I'd like to see him traded to Brandon so he can be an hour away and Jets can monitor his progress from closer proximity.

Whoa, Goalie, blew a gasket there...  read the scouting reports on Petan and Ehlers, same player.  Maybe there is room for both of them on the team...  but we're not seeing that any time soon 

As for position, they are 'forwards' who both shoot left... that is all, right now.

If we have a rough 2014/205, we could land David.

They'd have to win the lottery. Even with Pavs in net and a bunch of juniors in the lineup, no real hardcore/grinder depth in the system I don't see the Jets falling to the 50-60 pt range. (like Buffalo). I can see things crashing down to as few as 72 to 75 pts but thats the absolute lowest this team will crash. Too much speed and half decent defense to be a pos team.

jets have a solid top 6, be better with a trade for sharp or someone like that and have a decent group on D, they should be fighting for a wild card, the likely scenario sees the jets pick in that 7-10 spot again. 

Kane,Scheif,Wheeler

Ladd,Little,Sharp

??,Perreault,Frolik.

That's a pretty solid top 9 with a guy like sharp even without it's still pretty decent

Kane,Scheif,Wheeler

Ladd,Little,Frolik

??,Perreault,??

I'm not including buff because i think he will be moved b4 the season starts. 

jets have a solid top 6, be better with a trade for sharp or someone like that and have a decent group on D, they should be fighting for a wild card, the likely scenario sees the jets pick in that 7-10 spot again. 

Kane,Scheif,Wheeler

Ladd,Little,Sharp

??,Perreault,Frolik.

That's a pretty solid top 9 with a guy like sharp even without it's still pretty decent

Kane,Scheif,Wheeler

Ladd,Little,Frolik

??,Perreault,??

I'm not including buff because i think he will be moved b4 the season starts. 

I didn't want to throw this out there 2 weeks ago (during your rants about trading up in the draft), but if there's a draft where I'm moving valuable pieces around and trying to trade up to number #1, it's not the 2014 draft.

Now just because I've shined up my dancing shoes doesn't mean I'm going to find a willing dance partner, but if I'm the Jets I'm leaving that bullet in the chamber until June of next year.

In theory sure, but there are lots of teams in the west that feel they have improved. Everyone writes of Edmonont because they finished low in the standings last season but I think that's a mistake for one simple reason: Their record to start the season when Dubnyk and LOLbarbera were giving up the worst goals ever. After the Oilers brought in Scrivens their record was actually reasonable, right around the .500 mark which puts them in line with the just not quite playoff level teams, it's just that the hole they were in to start the season was so deep there was no getting out of it without a near impossible winning steak. 

Who knows what Calgary is going to do, I do think they improved their goaltending by quite a bit in free agency. 

Vancouver again is a crap shoot. Should have good goaltending, but is it enough? 

Nashville should have fine defense and goaltending, will they score enough? Remains to be seen but you never know. 

The west is once again more than likely going to be very hard to predict and a very tough conference to get traction in. 

I think the reason the Jets didnt make a stronger effort on Heatley is his speed.  Jets are a speed game.  But I would have been fine if they signed this deal.  He's talented enough to not be a liability and with good line-mates, I would not be surprised to see him chip in 20 goals.

That said, I'd have have Peter Meuller.

In a crazy rumour, Hockeybuzz reports Jets are trying to entice Joe Thornton to accept a trade to Winnipeg.

its one of those "ofcourse the Jets would have interest in Joe.  And ofcourse Joe would not want to come here".  At $6.75 M for three more years, it would be an easy deal on the Jets side.  I can't imagine why Joe would choose the Jets over "better" teams but I guess you never know.

There were strong rumours the Jets and Sharks were talking trade at the deadline so there might be a relationship there.  Can't imagine who we'd give up.  Assuming San Jose would want a centre, I'd guess Bryan Little.  Unless it's a Kane & Buff type deal.

The other thing to think about would be, even if Joe came here, its three years before hes UFA.  Does management think the Jets can compete strongly within that time frame (assuming Joe takes a huge offer to go anywhere he wants at that point).

Obviously, this is a crazy idea.  But fun to think about.  Considering they reportedly offered Stastny $8 million, Joe would be a bargain.

In a crazy rumour, Hockeybuzz reports Jets are trying to entice Joe Thornton to accept a trade to Winnipeg.

its one of those "ofcourse the Jets would have interest in Joe.  And ofcourse Joe would not want to come here".  At $6.75 M for three more years, it would be an easy deal on the Jets side.  I can't imagine why Joe would choose the Jets over "better" teams but I guess you never know.

There were strong rumours the Jets and Sharks were talking trade at the deadline so there might be a relationship there.  Can't imagine who we'd give up.  Assuming San Jose would want a centre, I'd guess Bryan Little.  Unless it's a Kane & Buff type deal.

The other thing to think about would be, even if Joe came here, its three years before hes UFA.  Does management think the Jets can compete strongly within that time frame (assuming Joe takes a huge offer to go anywhere he wants at that point).

Obviously, this is a crazy idea.  But fun to think about.  Considering they reportedly offered Stastny $8 million, Joe would be a bargain.

Joe would be a great fit in Winnipeg. The prototypical non-playoff performer suiting up with a chronic non-playoff team. Go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Jets bring back Ellerby on a one year $700,000 deal. Sign Chariot to a one year $600,000 deal.

Can't say I'm overly impressed with the D. I don't mind Ellerby as the 7/8 option but if the goal was to improve the D to properly evaluate Pavs all we've done is brought back all of last seasons squad.

Yes Trouba will be better. Yes we will be better without Buff back there. And assuming Clitty is healthy that's probably a net gain though I know some question that situation.

Is the hope really that Morrissey makes the team? I don't know.... Are the jets really in a holding plan pending 2015 draft?