TSN Off-Season Game Plan: Winnipeg Jets

MP is a very good signing. He's small but has proven to be able to score. He played some 2nd line with a very good Ducks team. As our 3rd liner he brings speed and talent. Very good FO guy which we needed to improve.

The unfortunate part of today is how much our division improved. Yikes.

I would have loved jussi here for the same deal he signed in Florida. Maybe a bit much but I would have done it. Raymond would have been okay too

Sad to lose Redmond. Is suspect the jets aren't comfortable that he can be a regular nhl'er and he wouldn't take a two way deal. He signed for the same deal we got Pardy so disappointed to lose him. We need to keep players we develop. Pressure on Morrissey to make the team.

Day not over yet.

I'm gonna say it, I'm glad chevy hasn't overpaid for any of these players.Outside of stastny and vanek (regardless what a couple people think), there were no real difference makers out there. 

Perrault is an upgrade on Olli, i think i can honestly say by doing nothing so far but adding perreault and subtracting guys like wright, halischuk,olli, even montoya, we are better today. 

I honestly think a lot of these teams will be regretting some of these signings down the line. Massive overpayments for several of these players today. 

to prove my point on massive overpayments

Paul Stastny now makes more than Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Benn, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Couture, and Duchene.

You'd be crazy if you thought stastny was worth more than any of those guys.

I'm gonna say it, I'm glad chevy hasn't overpaid for any of these players.Outside of stastny and vanek (regardless what a couple people think), there were no real difference makers out there.

Perrault is an upgrade on Olli, i think i can honestly say by doing nothing so far but adding perreault and subtracting guys like wright, halischuk,olli, even montoya, we are better today.

I honestly think a lot of these teams will be regretting some of these signings down the line. Massive overpayments for several of these players today.

Weren't you the same guy complaining about Chevy not signing huge names? Lol

Weren't you the same guy complaining about Chevy not signing huge names? Lol

not really, i was just hoping he would do something to make the team better, as if anyone actually thought the big names would come here, yeah it would have been nice but reality is, it wont happen, not until we start winning, i was more complaining about the thorburn deal. tough to get excited when you see what the other teams in our division did. Never did expect the jets to sign any "big names". Show me a post where i thought they would, i said the other teams in our division will. Didn't say we will.  Oh and btw, maybe thorburns deal aint so bad, calgary just signed a similar player to a contract worth 2.9 million a year. 

Paul Stastny now makes more than Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Benn, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Couture, and Duchene.

FA price vs. RFA price. Just wait what is it one more year? and Toews and Kane will be making way more than Statsny. Salaries go up all the time, that's why teams will try and lock people up to long term deals if they feel they're worth it. Overpay in the short term hoping it works out in the long term. 

FA price vs. RFA price. Just wait what is it one more year? and Toews and Kane will be making way more than Statsny. Salaries go up all the time, that's why teams will try and lock people up to long term deals if they feel they're worth it. Overpay in the short term hoping it works out in the long term. 

more often then not though, these free agent frenzy deals don't work out. 

Jets remain in a transitional period. A signing like Perrault is good for many reasons not least of which he is young with upside. He could be a contributor for years. Better than a one year stop gap. Jets still need Kane, Scheif etc to improve. Need lowri, Morrissey etc to make the team.

A guy like jussi would have fit in but signing 30+ year old guys for big money isn't really on our vision I think

Jets remain in a transitional period. A signing like Perrault is good for many reasons not least of which he is young with upside. He could be a contributor for years. Better than a one year stop gap. Jets still need Kane, Scheif etc to improve. Need lowri, Morrissey etc to make the team.

A guy like jussi would have fit in but signing 30+ year old guys for big money isn't really on our vision I think

Agreed. I don't think the Jets will ever be that active on the "frenzy" day, i mean some of these contracts handed out are crazy, i don't see how some would help the Jets actually. Bolland got 5 million a year for 5 years, that's not something that would help the Jets. Stastny got 7 million a year, again, with little and scheif, i'm not sure how that helps. jesus, 7 years 40.2 million for niskanen to washington. My god. This is the reason why the Jets aren't involved much today. Wheres there press conference. Some of these teams though like buffalo and florida need to spend big money to get to the cap floor. Some of these teams need to win now, do the Jets? not really, richards to chicago also.. puts chicago over the cap actually. It's a crazy day. We are indeed building around our younger guys.. 

You mentioned Kane, Scheif.. I'll throw in Trouba,Bogo, Good call with lowry and morissey. Ehlers is another guy, probably not this year but... down the line, we might look pretty good. I like what we are building here, i guess its just a bit frustrating to see other teams throwing out money at all these big name players and us doing not much but i understand the logic behind it.

Like i said above, short term pain for long term gain. 

Oh and one more thing, nobody makes the playoffs on July 1st. We probably aren't a guaranteed playoff team, actually we aren't but with a couple upgrades or the kids stepping up, we could compete for a wild card spot. we weren't that far out of the wildcard spot last season.

A- for the draft
A for letting Wright, Halischuk, and Ellerby walk to FA
D- for signing Thorburn (upgraded to a C+ when compared to other contracts signed today)
B+ for upgrading our 3C for relatively cheap

All in all not so bad. 

I think Chevy did a good job standing pat (for the most part)

Thats his nature and he's obviously convinced Mark Chipman the Jets aren't really playoff contenders this year. I agree.

Jets are one of the few NHL teams devoid of a true superstar.

Schief and Trouba are both extremely promising youngstahs.

Kane is a promising 23/24 yr old guy who keeps failing to live up to his potential (if its really there)

Petan, Morrissey, Lowery are still a season or more away. Morrissey might be carried by the Jets as their 7th or 8th d-man and weaned into limited game action as the season progresses vs. returning him to PA.

Klingburg, O'Dell, etc. might be OK as 3rd and 4th liners. Thorburn & Slater are tough grinders who don't score a ton and aren't really shut-down guys either. Slater is a good face-off guy. 

Wheeler can look like a superstar one game and like Joe Average the next. He's probably our best player 'til Schief fills out.

Toby is Toby. Slick-wheeling d-man who can't shut down squat and doesn't score enough to warrant his high salary. 

Buff is Buff. Far better as a third line forward but remember he's a third line forward. Liability on defense. Not really a great player during last third of his shifts either as he tends to get gassed.

Bogo owes this city a lot more in playing time and performance. Those outside Wpg are already labelling him a dud. Those in Wpg. keep hoping for more.

Goal-tending with Pavs in net is average at best although the guy makes a ton of beauty saves every year.... 

Team is still a year away from being a year away. To steal that classic line about the Raptors 1st round draft pick (the 18 yr old Brazilian)

The concern for the Jets is that a lot of the competition in the west made moves to improve themselves. Not that I think they would be wise to make a big splash or sign people just for the sake of signing them, but the west didn't get any easier to play in after today and the Jets aren't the only team there that can count on improvement from their young players in order to get better. 

Same tinny every year. Teams over spend. Jets don't. And the fans here wring their hands over our lack of activity. Can you imagine being the Capitals? Niskanen was the butt of jokes for years and had one good year and Washington backed up the brings truck. Worse yet they signed an over the hill Orpik to a long term deal. Yikes. If caps don't win soon that franchise is in trouble.