Michael Sam Reaction

Well, I hate to stir up emotions (lol)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/12/us/michael-sam-nfl-kiss-reaction/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Not long after Michael Sam became the first openly gay player drafted to the NFL, some made clear his reaction was not welcome.

Shortly after learning of his selection by phone, a visibly emotional Sam turned to his boyfriend and kissed him.

"I'm sorry but that Michael Sam is no bueno for doing that on national tv," former Super Bowl champion Derrick Ward tweeted.

"Man U got little kids lookin at the draft. I can't believe ESPN even allowed that to happen," he added.

Ward, who played for the New York Giants and the Houston Texans, said he has received death threats against him and his children after the comments.

140512033035-michael-sam-kiss-story-body
In an image taken from video, Michael Sam, left, and boyfriend Vito Cammisano kiss at an NFL draft party in San Diego. Sam was selected in the seventh round, 249th overall, by the St. Louis Rams.

Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones also expressed his disapproval, tweeting "horrible" and "OMG" after the kiss was aired. He has since deleted those comments.

But the Dolphins responded quickly, ordering Jones to pay an undisclosed fine and barring him from team activities until he finishes "training for his recent comments made on social media."

"We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment," the Dolphins said in a statement Sunday. "These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program."

Jones issued a mea culpa for his remarks.

"I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media," he said in a statement Sunday.

"I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team and I wish him all the best in his NFL career."

bttn_close.gif

140512033035-michael-sam-kiss-story-bodyMichael Sam's kiss spurs many reactions

Sam's boyfriend, Vito Cammisano, a former University of Missouri swimmer who graduated last year and now interns for a broadcasting company in Columbia, Missouri, wasn't fazed by the vitriol and publicly celebrated his lover's achievement.

The Kansas City native first tweeted, "We are staying home! Could not be more proud of my babe! #stl #rams #missouri," then followed it up a few hours later with "Wow.What a day. On cloud 9. So proud and happy! #stl #rams #draft @MikeSamFootball."

The second tweet linked to a close-up of Cammisano, his face covered in cake, sharing another smooch with Sam.

Other reactions extended well beyond current and former NFL players.

"Any straight person who says "#MichaelSam/bf kiss pic doesnt look disgusting" can't pass a lie detector test saying it. Prove me wrong. #nfl," Patrick Dollard tweeted.

"It's annoying that people can't say anything about the Michael Sam kiss without people pointing at them saying "homophobe," Robby Schultz said.

But many welcomed Sam's seventh-round selection by the St. Louis Rams. His new team is just two hours away from the University of Missouri, where Sam was an All-American and the Southeastern Conference's defensive player of the year.

"Welcome to the squad @MikeSamFootball #D-LineShowtime," fellow Rams defensive end Robert Quinn tweeted.

President Barack Obama also weighed in.

"The President congratulates Michael Sam, the Rams and the NFL for taking an important step forward today in our Nation's journey," the White House said in a statement. "From the playing field to the corporate boardroom, LGBT Americans prove everyday that you should be judged by what you do and not who you are."

Some compared Sam kissing his boyfriend to other athletes kissing their wives or girlfriends.

"NFL guys get drafted. Kiss girlfriends. @MikeSamFootball kissed his boyfriend. Don't like?..that's a "you" problem," ESPN anchor Stuart Scott tweeted. "Congrats Mike!"

Others poked fun at the controversy surrounding Sam.

"How do I explain Michael Sam to my kids?" Andy Kerman tweeted. "A man with TWO first names?"

Obama congratulates Michael Sam

****We live in an interesting time.  Wont it be nice when we live in a time where a player's orientation wont be headline news?

One of 256 players to be drafted. That was and always will be my reaction. He is a football player and I don't wish him any less or more success than pick 256.

yeah I agree.  But the fact this *is* a huge story speaks to our society right now.  And the fact people took the time to actually tweet negative nonsense is head-shaking worthy.  What public-eye pro athlete could be stupid enough to do that?  Well, yeah I know. A lot.

What I find interesting as a study in human pyschology is the reactions.  Like those twins the Benham's (I think) who got booted from HGTV because one of them made anti-gay remarks.  It solidifies the anti-gay ultra religious types who feel it's their right to be "against" it.  And it makes the debate about religious freedom when it should be about individual freedom.  Interesting nontheless

Meh. I think the negative tweets are no more or less important than the crap tweeted about Subban recently. I know they are news worthy but, really, just get on with playing the damn game and ignore the racist/homophobic crap.

Yeah...I can see that.  But the argument would be, why should we ignore it?  The N-bomb stuff was cowardly losers on twitter.  Not one of those people would have the guts to say that to Subban's face.  Not to mention that, if they really feel that way, I guess they dont want Malcolm Subban on their team or Iginla etc.  Its just cowardly people immediately going to the deepest hole they can to insult someone.  Very ignorant people.

In Sam's case, forget the lowly losers who no one knows, Im talking the pro athletes on twitter putting their name to their ignorance.  Just makes you shake your head.  But no one ever got drafted for sports for being a rocket scientist.

Meh. I think the negative tweets are no more or less important than the crap tweeted about Subban recently. I know they are news worthy but, really, just get on with playing the damn game and ignore the racist/homophobic crap.

Yeah...I can see that.  But the argument would be, why should we ignore it?  The N-bomb stuff was cowardly losers on twitter.  Not one of those people would have the guts to say that to Subban's face.  Not to mention that, if they really feel that way, I guess they dont want Malcolm Subban on their team or Iginla etc.  Its just cowardly people immediately going to the deepest hole they can to insult someone.  Very ignorant people.

In Sam's case, forget the lowly losers who no one knows, Im talking the pro athletes on twitter putting their name to their ignorance.  Just makes you shake your head.  But no one ever got drafted for sports for being a rocket scientist.

Some pro athletes. For the dozen that speak out, thousands do not, regardless of what they think. Likewise with those who do PED's or get arrested, etc.

The majority will also be those who do the opposite.

I don't care either way but I think Michael Sam makes himself even more of a target by complaining that he would have gone in the first 3 rounds if he wasn't gay. Get real. Even if it is true, and I don't believe it is, he just sounds like a whiner saying stuff like that.

Huh. Interesting. I haven't read a single thing about the guy because I really just don't care and I only watch him play. But yeah, not a chance. Perhaps if he didn't have an absolutely disastrous combine someone might of thought more highly of the guy. Probably the worst area for depth in this draft was on the defensive line... and you combine the fact that he is slow and undersized, you're talking about a guy who is going to be in sub packages playing MAYBE 25 snaps a game.

His ceiling was a 5th round pick, and I believe even before the draft, half the league's GM's said they wouldn't take him until the 7th round or not even sign him... not because he is gay, but because he is what he is, and that is not a prototypical NFL defensive lineman. Good for him if he makes it, but I think he will be the most popular 7th round draft pick cut ever.

I don't care either way but I think Michael Sam makes himself even more of a target by complaining that he would have gone in the first 3 rounds if he wasn't gay. Get real. Even if it is true, and I don't believe it is, he just sounds like a whiner saying stuff like that.

Huh. Interesting. I haven't read a single thing about the guy because I really just don't care and I only watch him play. But yeah, not a chance. Perhaps if he didn't have an absolutely disastrous combine someone might of thought more highly of the guy. Probably the worst area for depth in this draft was on the defensive line... and you combine the fact that he is slow and undersized, you're talking about a guy who is going to be in sub packages playing MAYBE 25 snaps a game.

His ceiling was a 5th round pick, and I believe even before the draft, half the league's GM's said they wouldn't take him until the 7th round or not even sign him... not because he is gay, but because he is what he is, and that is not a prototypical NFL defensive lineman. Good for him if he makes it, but I think he will be the most popular 7th round draft pick cut ever.

I'll go out on a further limb and say he might only have been drafted BECAUSE he's gay. He's not good enough to make a 53 man roster IMO, but I'm not sure the Rams can afford to release him now.

I'll go out on a further limb and say he might only have been drafted BECAUSE he's gay. He's not good enough to make a 53 man roster IMO, but I'm not sure the Rams can afford to release him now.

If I am an owner, knowing the support my team is getting by using a 7th round pick on a guy who otherwise has the odds against him, I see the dollar value in the jerseys.

The biggest steal in this draft is the money they have made off jerseys, because he may not even make the team and he has outsold every jersey already.

At the end of the day it is a business. I believe that is why a team like the Patriots was so quick to cut Adrian Wilson who wore #24... so they could sell Revis jerseys ASAP. Now, Wilson probably doesn't make the team anyways, but the more jerseys you sell, the more dollars. Same thing in Winnipeg with MSW and Nick Moore.

Haven't heard him say that. There was definitely talk that his coming out would negatively impact his draft position. I can see that being true. But regardless I hope he didn't say that. That's not setting the example he said he wanted to set by coming out.

I first heard it on the radio but it turns out he did not quite say that it was because he was gay:

Sam, selected late in the seventh round, said NFL teams chickened out from drafting him, although he stopped short of saying that his draft stock dropped because he was the first openly gay prospect in NFL history.

“From last season alone, I should’ve been in the first three rounds. SEC Defensive Player of the Year, All-American,” Sam said, via the Associated Press. “I knew I was going to get picked somewhere. Every team that passed me, I was thinking how I’m going to sack their quarterback.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/michael-sam-i-should-have-gone-in-the-first-three-rounds/

So he didn't outright say it was because he was gay, but he does imply it.

Either that, or he got bad advice that he was better than he was.

Ultimately, he crapped at the combine, and ran a 4.9. For a guy who is undersized and is slow, and can only play one way, that's just the death knell. Facts of the NFL.

Actually it sounds like the writer of that story implied it, Sam didnt say anything close to it.  And let's be really clear - his coming out had a lot more risk than reward for him.  And as you can see by some of the reaction, the NFL has a long way to go to get to the point that a players orientation has no bearing on his acceptance in a locker room.  A lot of players will hide behind religion (like the Duck Dynasty idiot) and those Benham guys.

If Im Stamps management, I max fine him then cut him.

Hate is one thing.  Hate & stupid is another.  These people that hide behind religion, I'd love for someone to question them about all the things they arent allowed to accept from the Bible and watch them squirm.  This new found trend of "I dont hate anyone because I'm a Christian and we love all people.  But I dont accept homosexuality".  Huh?

I used to post on another board and the Russia Olympics and the Duck Dynasty issues created a very nasty environment where one of the mods was all about "religious freedom" so you really had no choice but to accept the open homophobia and hate mongering that was going on.  I was booted for "disrespecting" the mod who felt well within his rights to be "against gays".  There was another mod was very level headed and we got into a private discussion about things and this board came up (because there had been a similar topic, I think about Russia) and he asked me how this board handled the anti-gay stance and I said basically most poster's ridiculed the guy until he slinked away.  There was no "well, we have to be fair".  No, you dont.  You cant come on here and be anti-black or anti-Jew or anti-whatever but "be fair" when people want to "disagree with gays". 

And speaking of, Pride is in three weeks.  Boo-ya. 

Price is one of their best players, so I doubt they will cut him. Full credit to Hufnagel if he does. Price would easily find a new home, and a couple players coming to his defence proves that.

I don't have an issue with what these athletes say... there are too many people out there with the same opinions for me to care. My issue is with them making it public. Just shut the fudge up and play.

Price is one of their best players, so I doubt they will cut him. Full credit to Hufnagel if he does. Price would easily find a new home, and a couple players coming to his defence proves that.

I don't have an issue with what these athletes say... there are too many people out there with the same opinions for me to care. My issue is with them making it public. Just shut the fudge up and play.

Well that breaks it down to Ignorance vs Stupidity.  You cant do much about the ignorance of a player being anti-gay but you can educate the stupid out them by at least telling them to keep their backwater opinions to themselves.  Problem is, these fringe religious types gets worked up that they have to stand up for their "religious freedom" and think of all the people who voice an opposing viewpoint, they will be the one that says it in such a way that everyone will rally to their position.  They are always wrong.

Well that breaks it down to Ignorance vs Stupidity.  You cant do much about the ignorance of a player being anti-gay but you can educate the stupid out them by at least telling them to keep their backwater opinions to themselves.  Problem is, these fringe religious types gets worked up that they have to stand up for their "religious freedom" and think of all the people who voice an opposing viewpoint, they will be the one that says it in such a way that everyone will rally to their position.  They are always wrong.

Ken-yon Rambo was quick to defend him yesterday on the Twitter.