Michael Sam Reaction

Interesting reactions around the Rider and Stampeder fan forums. The Rider fans in large numbers pretty much universally called Price a narrow-minded idiot and the Stamp fans appear to not care enough to comment, although two or three were morally outraged enough to threaten to stop supporting the team.

Like it or not, Alberta, and southern Alberta in particular, is quite different from the rest of the country, and more American than not, so the Stamp fan reactions (or lack thereof) is pretty typical.

If the folks who take their "Christianity" so serious as to think they ought to follow its dictates word for word, they ought to spend some time actually reading the Bible, and the old testament in particular. As an example, in Leviticus, the faithful are ordered to kill those who plant two different crops in the same field, and it gets worse from there. Jesus condemned no one, but the fundamentalist churches are riddled with pastors who preach one thing but live quite another way.

Price is one of their best players, so I doubt they will cut him. Full credit to Hufnagel if he does. Price would easily find a new home, and a couple players coming to his defence proves that.

I don't have an issue with what these athletes say... there are too many people out there with the same opinions for me to care. My issue is with them making it public. Just shut the fudge up and play.

Well that breaks it down to Ignorance vs Stupidity.  You cant do much about the ignorance of a player being anti-gay but you can educate the stupid out them by at least telling them to keep their backwater opinions to themselves.  Problem is, these fringe religious types gets worked up that they have to stand up for their "religious freedom" and think of all the people who voice an opposing viewpoint, they will be the one that says it in such a way that everyone will rally to their position.  They are always wrong.

Ken-yon Rambo was quick to defend him yesterday on the Twitter.

Then he's pretty stupid too.  The religious positon cant be "cause bible".  Its giving people just enough knowledge to be stupid.  The Bible is rife with things that people dont support and yet they cherry pick "gay".  its so silly.  It speaks more to their comfort level with the subject.  They likely eat shrimp, but two men or women having a relationship?  Thats against god! 

Interesting reactions around the Rider and Stampeder fan forums. The Rider fans in large numbers pretty much universally called Price a narrow-minded idiot and the Stamp fans appear to not care enough to comment, although two or three were morally outraged enough to threaten to stop supporting the team.

Like it or not, Alberta, and southern Alberta in particular, is quite different from the rest of the country, and more American than not, so the Stamp fan reactions (or lack thereof) is pretty typical.

If the folks who take their "Christianity" so serious as to think they ought to follow its dictates word for word, they ought to spend some time actually reading the Bible, and the old testament in particular. As an example, in Leviticus, the faithful are ordered to kill those who plant two different crops in the same field, and it gets worse from there. Jesus condemned no one, but the fundamentalist churches are riddled with pastors who preach one thing but live quite another way.

The reaction  may just boil down to Rider fans getting an easy opportunity to cut down a Stamps player, and Price is one of the Stamps best players, so they are a little hesitant.

But you are probably not incorrect either.

Thats a great point.  I am religious in my way.  My best friend is gay and very negative on Christians for obvious reasons.  But my position is always that the Jesus I believe in, the teachings of his I recall, that Jesus wouldn't condemn people for the way they were born.

Now ofcourse, we can dovetail that into an entire discussion on genetic predisposition as it relates to personality disorders, pedos, murderers etc.  But the point is clear.

Also, this just in, CFL fines price undisclosed sum.  Price claims his words were "misconstrued" because, ofcourse, his anti-gay remarks were not meant to be personal.  Doh

One last point from me: I had my questions about the Bible being the literal word of God, but years ago, I happened to become friends with a pastor from the Mennonite faith (fundamentalist Baptist, really) and eventually we got onto the subject of religion and dogma. He told me that in theological college, the student pastors were told that they ought not to take the Bible as inerrant and they even spent time studying how it had been edited and re-edited, where it contradicted itself in places and where in the old and new testaments it orders and/or justifies incest, adultery, bigamy, murder, genocide and killing of infidels. The students were told to be prepared for questions of this sort but to dismiss them as the unfathomable word of God. You may want to look up what Jesus was supposed to have said in Luke 19:27.

The Bible has been altered to justify the views and actions of whomever was in power in the early Christian church, and many of the heads of that church were often weak, corrupt and under the influence of local rulers.

One last point from me: I had my questions about the Bible being the literal word of God, but years ago, I happened to become friends with a pastor from the Mennonite faith (fundamentalist Baptist, really) and eventually we got onto the subject of religion and dogma. He told me that in theological college, the student pastors were told that they ought not to take the Bible as inerrant and they even spent time studying how it had been edited and re-edited, where it contradicted itself in places and where in the old and new testaments it orders and/or justifies incest, adultery, bigamy, murder, genocide and killing of infidels. The students were told to be prepared for questions of this sort but to dismiss them as the unfathomable word of God. You may want to look up what Jesus was supposed to have said in Luke 19:27.

The Bible has been altered to justify the views and actions of whomever was in power in the early Christian church, and many of the heads of that church were often weak, corrupt and under the influence of local rulers.

Yes.  The word of God as recorded and translated by man.  The issues with that are clear.  God didn't write the Bible.

If that story is true, then I'm curious Bible school he went to, because that sounds a bit ridiculous.  We have older, more numerous, and thus far more reliable manuscripts of the New Testament than any other book from the ancient world. It actually doesn't contradict itself either. In fact, it has an impossible number of predictions in the Old Testament that were proven correct hundreds of years later.

As for Luke 19, just read that chapter in the Bible yourself. If you want to cherry pick single verses to make the Bible look bad, you could do a lot better than one that is clearly just part of a parable Jesus is telling.

As for Luke 19, just read that chapter in the Bible yourself. If you want to cherry pick single verses to make the Bible look bad, you could do a lot better than one that is clearly just part of a parable Jesus is telling.

Quoted for emphasis.  I find it stunning that someone could read a single sentence like that and not even look for the context in which it is being used.  Just ignorant.

@Tracker: Maybe sit down and read the Bible some time.  You might learn something.  I'm not a religious person but the Bible is an amazing book.

Go on www.cflhorsemen.ca. That's where Stamps fans post now. The argument got pretty heated with most condemning Price. Calgary is no different than anywhere else. The redneck thing is pretty overblown. 

As far as preachers teaching one thing & living another way, that's been going on for a long time. No surprise there. 

And once again most catholics would think Price is a good guy.

Everyone has their opinions.

Calling him a narrow minded idiot is quite ignorant and a hateful term. Hypocritical of those people to call him that when in fact they themselves are exactly the same way.

The correct answer would be to say I don't agree with Price and his beliefs.

israel vs palestine. The never ending war, based on basically " my god is right, your's is wrong".

I find it hard to believe that if there was a god that they would be cool with half the crap that's going on in the world and im sure michael sam is the least of their concerns. 

The problem with your logic is it can't be applied to specific instances like this. You've managed to wrap up your defense of homophobia in a flag of on-paper logic. It sounds reasonable. But not when it applies to basic human right struggles.

Go back a few decades. Apply the exact same thing to women, blacks etc. Is that reasonable? Ofcourse not. Equal rights struggles in those cases were deserving of special focus not a "if you don't accept that racists opinion as his right then you're as bad as he is". That doesn't wash.

Anyone who defends any homophobia or anti-gay rhetoric is a homophobe. Maybe not overtly. Maybe they don't even realise they are. But they are.

Free expression isn't a universal right. This isn't sixty years ago where you might be able to make the case that gays choose that lifestyle. We know that isn't true. If you're position is price has a right to expression based on his religion that gays choose to be gay, that's a position open to ridicule.

We wouldn't let price publicly criticize a person born with Down's syndrome. If a white player publicly criticized price for being black we would not accept that.

This is a human rights issue. One day when all things are equal people like price can express their silly opinion and everyone will ignore it. Today, because the struggle is on going, homophobia needs to be jumped on, attacked and snuffed out. Price was wrong. Period.

I think you are just being a hypocrite and close minded and that you are wrong. Its a bit surprising since the wrestling business has been very racey and offensive to many different kinds of people including gay people.

Its funny that you bringing up making fun of someone with a mental problem when I went to a local wrestling show and watched Eugene and a whole lot of making fun of a mentally ill person and lots of belittling. While obviously fake it was real to the little 5 year olds I'm the crowd.

Hypocrite...

I think you are just being a hypocrite and close minded and that you are wrong. Its a bit surprising since the wrestling business has been very racey and offensive to many different kinds of people including gay people.

Its funny that you bringing up making fun of someone with a mental problem when I went to a local wrestling show and watched Eugene and a whole lot of making fun of a mentally ill person and lots of belittling. While obviously fake it was real to the little 5 year olds I'm the crowd.

Hypocrite

Are the rest of us supposed to know what this is about?  If it's a personal issue, please use PM.

Hypocrite...

You're kidding right?  I mean you have to be.  Forgetting for a moment your effort to attack my position by attacking my involvement in wrestling which has nothing to do with this discussion (and simply indicates your inability to reasonably and intelligently make your point), you cant compare scripted entertainment to real world statements.  I bet you get offended everytime you see something "offensive" in a move or TV show too right?  Also, Im curious as to why you think the Eugene character was making fun of a mentally ill person....?

PS: As I've said before, anyone who wants to debate wrestling, by all means, go comment in the wrestling thread and Ill be happy to discuss it.

Wow, this happened over a week ago & some people have decided this is a hill they need to die on? Time to move on. 

I think its simply because the discussion expanded beyond the specifics of Michael Sam and into homophobia itself, which is timely with Pride coming up at the end of the month.  Its unfortunate that some people get carried away (like implying that straight people cant defend gay people unless they are also gay, which got the other thread rightfully locked).  Its a shame ignorance is so prevalent but thats unlikely to ever change.

But I dont disagree with you point.  Like I told Brandon, if he wants to debate the seediness of wrestling, there is a wrestling thread (and though he specifically mentioned Eugene, I figured he'd point fingers at more relevent characters like Adrian Adonis, Billy & Chuck, Goldust, Lodi, Rico, etc)