Bomber Fan Forum May 12

When I think Marcel Bellefeuille, I think running the football and ho-hum passing plays.

Something that receivers like Aaron Kelly can play in... and I know everyone's thoughts on Aaron Kelly.

Henry Burris had one of the worst years statistically of his career under Bellefeuille way earlier in his career. He was handcuffed by Bellefeuille because they had a strong running game and a strong defence and won 9 games seemingly every year.

Again, look at Anthony Calvillo. Bellefeuille was the starter for one season there and it was Calvillo's worst as a starter in Montreal. Now, Calvillo missed the end due to his wife's cancer scare, but his projections still would have made it the same.

Everyone was talking about if Calvillo was going to retire... wife has cancer, his season was bad, he's lost a step... in comes Trestman, boom. MVP. And continued success under Trestman.

The situation in Winnipeg isn't as bad as it was in Hamilton, but in Hamilton you had a team who was continually in the basement... 3 wins, 4 wins... what did they need? Consistency on offence to help a team gain wins.

Who does that like no other? Yay Marcel!

Bellefeuille's offence scored: 441, 449, 481, 481. Even his point totals are consistent.

In the past five years the average CFL team scores 25.8 points per game. Teams in the Grey Cup usually have atleast one team that scores 28-30 PPG.

How many points per game has Marcel Bellefeuille offences scored in 8 seasons (excl 2013 as a half year)... you guessed it... 25.7. Good enough to win some games, good enough to lose some games.

all you're doing is pointing out that the team has been so bad that mediocrity is a huge step forward, I for one don't really care to aim for mediocrity. The bar should be set higher. Better than what we had shouldn't be anything to get excited for. 

When I think Marcel Bellefeuille, I think running the football and ho-hum passing plays.

Something that receivers like Aaron Kelly can play in... and I know everyone's thoughts on Aaron Kelly.

Henry Burris had one of the worst years statistically of his career under Bellefeuille way earlier in his career. He was handcuffed by Bellefeuille because they had a strong running game and a strong defence and won 9 games seemingly every year.

Again, look at Anthony Calvillo. Bellefeuille was the starter for one season there and it was Calvillo's worst as a starter in Montreal. Now, Calvillo missed the end due to his wife's cancer scare, but his projections still would have made it the same.

Everyone was talking about if Calvillo was going to retire... wife has cancer, his season was bad, he's lost a step... in comes Trestman, boom. MVP. And continued success under Trestman.

The situation in Winnipeg isn't as bad as it was in Hamilton, but in Hamilton you had a team who was continually in the basement... 3 wins, 4 wins... what did they need? Consistency on offence to help a team gain wins.

Who does that like no other? Yay Marcel!

Bellefeuille's offence scored: 441, 449, 481, 481. Even his point totals are consistent.

In the past five years the average CFL team scores 25.8 points per game. Teams in the Grey Cup usually have atleast one team that scores 28-30 PPG.

How many points per game has Marcel Bellefeuille offences scored in 8 seasons (excl 2013 as a half year)... you guessed it... 25.7. Good enough to win some games, good enough to lose some games.

There's got to be a silver lining disguised in there somewhere.

Hard to escape the shadow of past performance. 

Bellefeuille's gotta be looking at this Winnipeg OC gig as a chance to show the CFL that he's more than a mediocre OC, with more than mediocre offenses. The game has changed since his rise through the ranks though.  Back then you ran to set up the pass.  Nowadays, most effective offenses pass to open up underneath for the run and screens.  I'm one to zig while the rest of the world zags, but today when d-lines set the edge to keep runners inside... you're often limited to short gains running on first down.  If Bellefeuille can't adapt his playcalling to the reality of today's game, he'll be done before he's started.

A motivated, open-to-change Bellefeuille could be a good thing for us, and O'Shea seems like the type that gets the most out of his people.  I'm scraping the barrel for positives...

O'Shea I think is going to be a hell of a coach... it's the coordinators I am sceptical of.

O'Shea was very impressive at yesterday's Fan Forum. I think we're going to see an inspired group of players this year. And we won't see guys on the sidelines yukking it up behind the Coach's back.

all you're doing is pointing out that the team has been so bad that mediocrity is a huge step forward, I for one don't really care to aim for mediocrity. The bar should be set higher. Better than what we had shouldn't be anything to get excited for. 

The Bombers need to win football games. Period. Whether it is 6 or 9. The word mediocre shouldn't even be brought up after a 3 win season. 2011 doesn't come around all too often.

There's got to be a silver lining disguised in there somewhere.

When Winnipeg contacted MB, he was scouting Amer. training camps to look for ways to improve what he knows about offences.

I find that encouraging.

Obviously, he couldn't incorporate that last year but I have my fingers crossed that he hasn't reached gap stuffers in his search for a better system.

A good offence is a beautiful thing in the CFL…I want one.

The Bombers need to win football games. Period. Whether it is 6 or 9. The word mediocre shouldn't even be brought up after a 3 win season. 2011 doesn't come around all too often.

win games but set your goals higher than mediocrity. I want to see them build something and a guy who peaks at mediocrity is not a long term solution. I am tired of replacing coaches year after year after year after year, let's hire some quality people who can take this team to the top of the league. I am tired of teams that can't mount a comeback if they fall behind on the scoreboard. MB and his safe approach isn't what I want to see. 

win games but set your goals higher than mediocrity. I want to see them build something and a guy who peaks at mediocrity is not a long term solution. I am tired of replacing coaches year after year after year after year, let's hire some quality people who can take this team to the top of the league. I am tired of teams that can't mount a comeback if they fall behind on the scoreboard. MB and his safe approach isn't what I want to see. 

That is fair. Bellefeuille is a stop gap until someone better is available, I do believe that.

I have a good feeling about MB.  I might be biased because I like him personally but everyone I know that has spent time with him has come away impressed by him as a person and a football guy.  Story I heard was he spent a lot of time since his last gig, touring the US and spending time developing his knowledge.  That cant hurt,.

MB has got to know this is his last chance to prove he can be a very good OC in this league so i dont completely expect the same old MB conservative offence, however, if our d is very good (they could be), you dont need to exactly light up other teams on offence, you just need to do enough to win really.

I'm not sure we have the personal for this ultra dynamic offence people want. Would i like an offence that is trend setting and other teams want to copy? you bet, but.... i don't expect that. Its football, there is only so much you can do and only so much that works.

If our D is good enough, they might or might not be, who really knows right now, there is nothing wrong with playing a bit conservative.

I've always liked the teams that rarely to never turn the ball over, those teams generally win the game, isn't it fact that in most games in the CFL, the team that turns the ball over the least generally wins? If being conservative means less turnovers, that's fine with me. 

MB has got to know this is his last chance to prove he can be a very good OC in this league so i dont completely expect the same old MB conservative offence, however, if our d is very good (they could be), you dont need to exactly light up other teams on offence, you just need to do enough to win really.

I'm not sure we have the personal for this ultra dynamic offence people want. Would i like an offence that is trend setting and other teams want to copy? you bet, but.... i don't expect that. Its football, there is only so much you can do and only so much that works.

If our D is good enough, they might or might not be, who really knows right now, there is nothing wrong with playing a bit conservative.

I've always liked the teams that rarely to never turn the ball over, those teams generally win the game, isn't it fact that in most games in the CFL, the team that turns the ball over the least generally wins? If being conservative means less turnovers, that's fine with me. 

We are likely to not have the horses to play firewagon football and with all of the coaching changes, we are probably going to have to go with a pretty simplified playbook until the team gels, so get ready for some boring football.

We are likely to not have the horses to play firewagon football and with all of the coaching changes, we are probably going to have to go with a pretty simplified playbook until the team gels, so get ready for some boring football.

if that boring football means winning games, i dont really care and after last season, i dont think it could get any worse. Not sure why you expect boring football, football in my opinion, its never boring. always something exciting going on.