Meet Gary Etcheverry

Atomic

Off the wall zany and a guru of his position..... that seemed to work wonders when Kelly did the same thing with his zany offense.....

Hopefully O'Shea takes over by the end of the year and hopefully Etch isn't locked in for more then 1 season...

You sure do love jumping the gun.

A proven loser with a bad track record...not really jumping anything...

Actually that is not true. Two trips to the Grey Cup as a DC doesn't make a bad track record. Remember players have a lot to do with whatever sucess a DC has as well

The fact he can't stay anywhere more than 2 seasons tells me that there are a lot of red flags with Etcheverry. He either loses his players, they stop playing for him or he has communications issues with them. I can't believe that he gets that restless & likes to move on so much.

Come on, folks. Football is a sport and sports are meant to entertain, and this will be entertaining. How well Etcheverry does will also give us an idea of how sharp our new coach's acumen is. Sort of two spectacles for the price of one, besides- compared to last couple of seasons, how could it possibly be worse?

The fact he can't stay anywhere more than 2 seasons tells me that there are a lot of red flags with Etcheverry. He either loses his players, they stop playing for him or he has communications issues with them. I can't believe that he gets that restless & likes to move on so much.

Yup this is my concern...

Or, its "jump before you get pushed".

photo-thumb-637.png?_r=1380872001….iso…."This could be a real disaster in the making." 

d641384dfed20876f1f6bfeb288086cd.jpg?w=2…….Shows how little you know, I dropped that particular page from my playbook.

photo-thumb-637.png?_r=1380872001….iso.… "he just seems oblivious to everything". 

d641384dfed20876f1f6bfeb288086cd.jpg?w=2……Yeah, I saw that movie, do you really think i look like Tom Cruise?

photo-thumb-637.png?_r=1380872001….iso…."The fact he can't stay anywhere more than 2 seasons tells me that there are a lot of red flags with Etcheverry. He either loses his players, they stop playing for him or he has communications issues with them."

etcheverry_gary0515.jpg… I'm not going anywhere….but the gate is over there, right past those little red flags, you can leave at any time. How's that for communicating?

photo-thumb-637.png?_r=1380872001……iso……….An old jaded coach who seems paranoid about players leaking information about his defense.

IMG_0130.JPG……..Wait a minute, I have an answer for that one

Come on, folks. Football is a sport and sports are meant to entertain, and this will be entertaining. How well Etcheverry does will also give us an idea of how sharp our new coach's acumen is. Sort of two spectacles for the price of one, besides- compared to last couple of seasons, how could it possibly be worse?

Two things: Flames GM Brian Burke said pro hockey players don't get paid to have fun. They are paid to work very hard & to win.

Jim Barker said pro football players are not paid to play.  They are paid to win.

Vince Lombardi put the fear of God into his players. He was a mean SOB when the Packers didn't win & almost as bad when they won. He was a taskmaster.

Jimmy Johnson cut his starting fullback when his fumble cost the Cowboys a game.

Tom Landry was distant, shrewd, cold & calculating. Even players who played for him for a decade or more said they never got to know who the real Tom Landry was. He never let anyone get close as he felt he needed to be aloof to keep his players on their toes at all times in order to create a culture of winning. With fear thrown into the mix as well.

Wally Buono will cut a player on a whim if he thinks he can bring in someone better & cheaper. He cut the CFL's all time leading receiver in Allen Pitts after the 2000 season because he said he needed the money Pitts would  have got to pay receiver Travis Moore who was younger & cheaper than Pitts. Buono often referred to Pitts as someone he thought of as a son but when it came to money the father-son comparison ended there & Pitts was let go. Purely business on Wally's part. .

The players in the CFL may not have the multimillion dollar contracts their NFL counterparts have but they are still are professionals & are still expected to put out on Game Day in the CFL. So, my point is this is a cutthroat business. Winning is everything. Entertainment is nothing.

So, in closing, I say the hell with entertainment. I want wins & lots of them. I don't care how ugly or how pretty. Just wins. I don't want an entertaining defense. I want a shut down defense. Etcheverry better coach up his players to be more than just entertaining. If Etch fails he should be fired. 

Two things: Flames GM Brian Burke said pro hockey players don't get paid to have fun. They are paid to work very hard & to win.

Jim Barker said pro football players are not paid to play.  They are paid to win.

Vince Lombardi put the fear of God into his players. He was a mean SOB when the Packers didn't win & almost as bad when they won. He was a taskmaster.

Jimmy Johnson cut his starting fullback when his fumble cost the Cowboys a game.

Tom Landry was distant, shrewd, cold & calculating. Even players who played for him for a decade or more said they never got to know who the real Tom Landry was. He never let anyone get close as he felt he needed to be aloof to keep his players on their toes at all times in order to create a culture of winning. With fear thrown into the mix as well.

Wally Buono will cut a player on a whim if he thinks he can bring in someone better & cheaper. He cut the CFL's all time leading receiver in Allen Pitts after the 2000 season because he said he needed the money Pitts would  have got to pay receiver Travis Moore who was younger & cheaper than Pitts. Buono often referred to Pitts as someone he thought of as a son but when it came to money the father-son comparison ended there & Pitts was let go. Purely business on Wally's part. .

The players in the CFL may not have the multimillion dollar contracts their NFL counterparts have but they are still are professionals & are still expected to put out on Game Day in the CFL. So, my point is this is a cutthroat business. Winning is everything. Entertainment is nothing.

So, in closing, I say the hell with entertainment. I want wins & lots of them. I don't care how ugly or how pretty. Just wins. I don't want an entertaining defense. I want a shut down defense. Etcheverry better coach up his players to be more than just entertaining. If Etch fails he should be fired. 

looks like you might be disappointed no matter what team you desire wins from. Teams go in cycles...no matter who the coaches and players are. The only way to achieve your goal for wins only and not entertainment,  is to keep switching to winning teams, not loyalty to one.

Watching Swaggerville in 2012 was highly entertaining, watching staggerville last year was the exact opposite. A team playing good football is entertaining, a team with a defense that gets beat regularly is not entertaining. They're taking a big gamble with Etch, I hope it pays off but if it doesn't things will not be entertaining no matter what kind of whacky **** he tries to get them to play. 

looks like you might be disappointed no matter what team you desire wins from. Teams go in cycles...no matter who the coaches and players are. The only way to achieve your goal for wins only and not entertainment,  is to keep switching to winning teams, not loyalty to one.

T minus 24 years & counting.

One positive is that the Bombers are massively rebuilding and Etch has the luxury of picking players that fit with his defensive scheme instead of dealing with players that are already locked in place.  I have a hunch this may not work out as bad as many might predict and I think we've already seen "his hand" in some of the recent signings and cuts.

One positive is that the Bombers are massively rebuilding and Etch has the luxury of picking players that fit with his defensive scheme instead of dealing with players that are already locked in place.  I have a hunch this may not work out as bad as many might predict and I think we've already seen "his hand" in some of the recent signings and cuts.

Remember the times Reinbold and Kelly hand picked certain players for his system....

Remember the times Reinbold and Kelly hand picked certain players for his system....

Both players and systems were popular in the 80's ;)

A note of reality: coaches like Hufnagel and Kent Austin who are immediately successful are very, very rare. With that in mind, as much as we would like to see O'Shea wipe the field with every opposing team, we are probably headed for a up and down season. If we get to 9 and 9, that would be wonderful, and making the playoffs would send fans into ecstatic rapture, but the odds are against us, what with so many changes and new faces.

As a follower of this team for several decades, some seasons, the best we could hope for is to not be humiliated too often, to still be in the game at half-time and have the team be seen as trying hard. Therefore, let us not lose our senses of ha-ha- it will be a long season, and we are going to need all the patience and humour we can get.

A note of reality: coaches like Hufnagel and Kent Austin who are immediately successful are very, very rare. With that in mind, as much as we would like to see O'Shea wipe the field with every opposing team, we are probably headed for a up and down season. If we get to 9 and 9, that would be wonderful, and making the playoffs would send fans into ecstatic rapture, but the odds are against us, what with so many changes and new faces.

As a follower of this team for several decades, some seasons, the best we could hope for is to not be humiliated too often, to still be in the game at half-time and have the team be seen as trying hard. Therefore, let us not lose our senses of ha-ha- it will be a long season, and we are going to need all the patience and humour we can get.

If we are competitive that would be mighty nice....

If we don't field an anemic offense that also would be fantastic.

It all comes down to scouting & doing the things successful teams in the CFL do to win games & championships. Our FA camps & expanding the scouting department were all things that needed to be done by the Bombers & they did that. What we did this past off season would never have been done by Joe Mack. I have every reason to believe that we will find some hidden gems from these camps like we never had before. Hopefully enough to start building a solid team.

It all comes down to scouting & doing the things successful teams in the CFL do to win games & championships. Our FA camps & expanding the scouting department were all things that needed to be done by the Bombers & they did that. What we did this past off season would never have been done by Joe Mack. I have every reason to believe that we will find some hidden gems from these camps like we never had before. Hopefully enough to start building a solid team.

Were we really losing because the rookie americans weren't good enough though? I thought you guys all liked to point to lack of veterans and NIs as the big problem? Too much blind hatred going on. 

Were we really losing because the rookie Americans weren't good enough though? I thought you guys all liked to point to lack of veterans and NIs as the big problem? Too much blind hatred going on. 

We were losing because almost every facet of the team wasn't good enough- not the general manager, the coaches, the scouts, the drafting and most of the players. There's enough blame to go around, so line up.

Were we really losing because the rookie americans weren't good enough though? I thought you guys all liked to point to lack of veterans and NIs as the big problem? Too much blind hatred going on. 

Maybe too much blind love, eh? ;)

Maybe too much blind love, eh? ;)

We've been over this before, I only bring it up when you guys go on your hate tangents. I am simply providing balance to the discussion. 

There's good reason for the hate tangents. Mack never did any of these rookie camps. Every CFL team does it now. Every team spent more on scouting & doing these camps. Mack did none of that. You can call it  hate. I call it Mack being lazy, sitting on his ass & getting paid to do nothing. And the results proved it.