Jets Forum

Any thought to having a Jets & NHL specific forum here?

I know most NHL fans post at HF boards but there isnt a good "local" forum.  The one I used to post out really slipped downhill in the past year and finally unceremoniously banned me for being a trouble maker after I took exception to one of the mods' anti-gay stance (and after being warned by the admin not to "test" him, I pretty much told him he was a joke). 

A lot of intelligent and mature sports fans here.  Anyone want to talk hockey?

We could certainly setup a new forum for Winnipeg Jets / NHL talk.   I don't think it will ever get as busy as HF Boards for Jets talk, but if there is interest, it is relatively easy to setup.

Oh for sure.  HF Boards will always be the busiest.  But sometimes a local forum is more interesting just due to having local fans.  i find HF a bit over-whelming.  I did most of my Jets talk and most of my current event type talk over at the Jets forum so I now I need a new outlet...lol

Chevy sat on his duff, did nothing & we missed the playoffs again. I mean, he either should have traded assets for draft picks or added to the team for the playoff push. As usual, he did nothing. I was hoping he'd have tried something instead of nothing. 

Chevy sat on his duff, did nothing & we missed the playoffs again. I mean, he either should have traded assets for draft picks or added to the team for the playoff push. As usual, he did nothing. I was hoping he'd have tried something instead of nothing. 

It was a piss poor market for trading players this deadline so I have a hard time being too judgemental for doing nothing. 

Normally, I'd agree but historically this GM doesn't do trades. I wish we'd decide what we are. A young team prepared to build by trading assets or a playoff contending team that needs a couple of pieces to make it to the post season. Either or. Just do it. But being a .500 team wins absolutely nothing. It doesn't make the playoffs. 

Put your GM hat on... which players could the Jets acquire that would of sent them to the play offs and would of favored them for winning one or two series?   And who would the Jets would have to give up to attain them?

I like to see names because watching the trade deadline I didn't see really anyone that could of put us over the hump?       

Normally, I'd agree but historically this GM doesn't do trades. I wish we'd decide what we are. A young team prepared to build by trading assets or a playoff contending team that needs a couple of pieces to make it to the post season. Either or. Just do it. But being a .500 team wins absolutely nothing. It doesn't make the playoffs. 

They were in a real tough spot this year.   At trade deadline, they were still very much in the playoff hunt.  If you start trading away assets at that point in time, what are you telling all those guys in the dressing room.  What are you telling the fans.

At the same time, this isn't a Stanley Cup contender even if they made the playoffs, so you aren't going to go start trading young assets for rentals, it just makes no sense to do when you are very likely to fizzle out in the first or second round.

Winnipeg is still a small market, and they are building the team in the way a small market has to.   And that takes time.   

In hindsight, sure I would have taken whataver I could have gotten for Setoguchi and hopefully a half decent return on Jokinnen.   

But Chevy doesn't have the benefit of hindsight, and I still believe the choice he made was the right one.  This is still a young team with no to little playoff experience.  There was a chance to get some this year, and that is a very important part of building a contender.   It typically takes a few years for players to learn what it takes to win in the playoffs before they get success.  They had a legit shot to get some of that experience this year, so they took it by not trading away players.  Too bad it didn't work out.

The prospects that Chevy has been drafting are just starting to become "NHL ready" now.    There was abslutely nothing prospect wise from Atlanta.  He still has a few more years to prove his plan out.

Do you expect us to be active on July 1st when FA starts?

About as active as they have been in years past.  Don't exepct any signing of top tier free agents.  

Probably a couple of mid to low end free agents.

This is not a salary cap team.  They can't get into bidding wars for the top free agents.

The prospects that Chevy has been drafting are just starting to become "NHL ready" now.    There was abslutely nothing prospect wise from Atlanta.  He still has a few more years to prove his plan out.

This is what it all comes down to. Trouba looks like an absolute steal of a draft pick but he's still a rookie, give him a few years to really find his place in the NHL, Schiefele is looking like a solid top 6 centre but again still a rookie give him some time. Those are the guys that the team will need to rely on so there's no harm in waiting them out. Hell Kane is still a young guy himself. 

Just go back and look at the team Chevy got. What a mess. How many of the original Atlanta prospects 'in the pipeline' at the time of the move to Winnipeg ever amounted to anything (or will)? None. Zero. The cupboard was bare.

Things are 1000%  better now. This team has a future. 

That being said, I'd love to take advantage of a battered Oilers organization and steal one of their young goal scoring machines for a song....

That being said, I'd love to take advantage of a battered Oilers organization and steal one of their young goal scoring machines for a song....

Won't happen because contrary to popular belief Craig Mctavish isn't a ***** either. He knows the value of those players because he coached a team for years that would have killed for players that talented. You know why he hasn't made a big trade? It's because he won't give up those players for pennies on the dollar. You might get an Eberle for Kane type deal but that's not getting someone for a song.