Cgy At Ssk

which is exactly the point. If he goes onto the roster and gets to play and play well it's just another guy who might start to show up on someones radar. If he's on the IR all year and just practising then he's not likely to draw any interest and you can leave him unprotected and likely not lose him all the while protecting someone else who might actually draw some interest like Swiston. Same reason there were a lot of guys drafted this past year who weren't going to show up in the CFL this season.

Fair enough.  But to go back to your original statement, Pencer is not playing right now because his not ready to be on the roster yet, not to keep him from being plucked by Ottawa. If he was ready to play, he would be playing. 

Fair enough.  But to go back to your original statement, Pencer is not playing right now because his not ready to be on the roster yet, not to keep him from being plucked by Ottawa. If he was ready to play, he would be playing. 

Not necessarily... he might be ready enough to start at RT but not better than Boatman... Since we don't really have depth for an NI tackle we might as well just give him one more year of seasoning

I dunno, is it not reasonable to think that if not for the upcoming expansion draft that they might have pulled the trigger on morley and gone with swiston starting and pencer as the backup? Seems like it's something that could have been done but was maybe held off on in light of the expansion draft. 

Not necessarily... he might be ready enough to start at RT but not better than Boatman... Since we don't really have depth for an NI tackle we might as well just give him one more year of seasoning

I doubt it. He's not even our 6 OL so that he could be given a game or two to see how he fairs.  If he was ready to be a starting, we'd have seen him on the field already.  It has nothing to do with him being better than Boatman or not seeing as he could be put in at G at least for the time being.

Well with our current stable of non-imports, I'd imagine we'll look to protect 4 current starters and 3 other players.

I suspect that if Muamba signs a new deal, they'll attempt to time it so that he doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft. If not, that's one more spot gone.

Morley won't be protected.

At least one receiver that some people will expect us to protect will be left available.

Then you can decide whether you want to protect Pencer, Palardy, Renaud, Swiston, etc from that point.

I can't see any situation where H Muamba is not protected.  Is everyone on the roster not eligible for the draft, even if they are a free agent on Feb 15? 

I dunno, is it not reasonable to think that if not for the upcoming expansion draft that they might have pulled the trigger on morley and gone with swiston starting and pencer as the backup? Seems like it's something that could have been done but was maybe held off on in light of the expansion draft. 

It's possible. but IMO, expansion draft or not, Pencer would still be where he is regardless.

I can't see any situation where H Muamba is not protected.  Is everyone on the roster not eligible for the draft, even if they are a free agent on Feb 15? 

well I would assume the logic is that they become free agents right away and you can just sign them back. 

well I would assume the logic is that they become free agents right away and you can just sign them back.

seems like a risky play. You're leaving Henoc unsigned all the way up until the draft and then counting on him signing back in Winnipeg based on what? A promise? Even though you were willing to gamble on his future with the team? I would lock him up now and leave the gambles for the less important players.

It isn't right away, Ottawa will own their rights for two months before Feb 15.  Even if they can't sign the player, they can trade their rights to someone else who can.  I wouldn't take too many risks.

well the assumption is always that the player wants to stay in winnipeg and you've got a handshake deal in place with them... it's not perfect but at the same time it is just as much of a gamble for Ottawa to select people with no contracts.

seems like a risky play. You're leaving Henoc unsigned all the way up until the draft and then counting on him signing back in Winnipeg based on what? A promise? Even though you were willing to gamble on his future with the team? I would lock him up now and leave the gambles for the less important players.

I agree - Muamba is going to be one well paid mofo once Mack and his agent finish getting things figured out.

Most likely we can't sign him to a new deal until the end of this season or we'd have salary cap issues this season (or we'd have to cut someone who has a big price tag - although with Hefney gone....)

Henoc is easily as invaluable to this team as a all-star NI tackle... those guys make 200k+ per year.

I agree - Muamba is going to be one well paid mofo once Mack and his agent finish getting things figured out.

Most likely we can't sign him to a new deal until the end of this season or we'd have salary cap issues this season (or we'd have to cut someone who has a big price tag - although with Hefney gone....)

Henoc is easily as invaluable to this team as a all-star NI tackle... those guys make 200k+ per year.

There's not a single Canadian in this league making 200k a year.

I thought Labatte was getting paid around 175 and he is only a guard

maybe not more than 200K then but right around there for a tackle

Not yet, that's for sure. Labatte is among the highest paid OL in the league, guard or tackle.

185k is about the top end of where NI players come in at, regardless of position. With the salary cap going up, that may change but as of right now ...

Labatte was horrendously overpaid. So far it looks like a terrible deal for Saskatchewan.

Really?  The team is 2-0 with only 3 sacks allowed and they have the league's leading rusher.  They don't look to have any significant weaknesses as a result of 'overpaying'.  What's terrible about that deal?