Cgy At Ssk

Control Cornish and the Stamps offense is meh. Just not enough game-breakers and certainly not at QB.

The bigger concern if I'm a stamps fan is how awful the defense was. They could not take themselves off the field at all in the 2nd half and that only compounded the offenses problems. They didn't get many chances to redeem themselves. 

I only watched the first half but Hefney was getting owned badly. Also every pass underneath was an easy completion for Saskatchewan. Calgary seemed very out of synch.

Saskatchewans dB's also looked very crappy.

Tate looked great in the first quarter made buck look god awful.

How'd he manage that?

It was refreshing to see a qb actually look off his primary receiver and make a strong hard throw to his 2nd read.    Also did you know if the other team blitzes and you immediately dump it off 5 yards away that eventually the defense will stop runnign the blitz!

One thing I noticed from this game from the half I watched was the horrible horrible ref job done by Glen Johnson and company.   Some absolutely atrocious holding going on with the o-line and zero flags thrown.     Maybe I'm not aware of the rules, but for face masking does the player have to be holding the ball because I saw lots of Saskatchewan o-line grabbing and pulling down on the Calgary d-lines face masks (and their arms) with zero flags being tossed.  

It was good to see Anthony Parker, taken AHEAD of Jade Etienne in the 2011 draft, make a catch last night too, first one in two years.  With that catch he is now leading Jade by 12 yards in all time receiving.  Come on Jade!  Scott Mitchell, taken second overall that year, is sitting on the injured list for Edmonton.  Is he really injured?  I hope so, as if you can't make that Edmonton O-line in its current horrible state then maybe you should be doing something else.

It was good to see Anthony Parker, taken AHEAD of Jade Etienne in the 2011 draft, make a catch last night too, first one in two years.  With that catch he is now leading Jade by 12 yards in all time receiving.  Come on Jade!  Scott Mitchell, taken second overall that year, is sitting on the injured list for Edmonton.  Is he really injured?  I hope so, as if you can't make that Edmonton O-line in its current horrible state then maybe you should be doing something else.

Yeah, I'd say its better to focus on Parker than Coehoorn and Ianuzzi...  

Was never a fan of picking Mitchell or Parker... but kind of hard to gloat when we traded up to get Pencer...  

But yes, Jade will be awesome depth behind Kohlert.

Yeah, I'd say its better to focus on Parker than Coehoorn and Ianuzzi...  

Was never a fan of picking Mitchell or Parker... but kind of hard to gloat when we traded up to get Pencer...  

But yes, Jade will be awesome depth behind Kohlert.

Don't forget, we didn't trade to get Pencer...we took Pencer when the guy we wanted (Westerman) was Buono'ed by BC.

And both those NI receivers you mentioned are fine additions to our receiving core.

Well with our current stable of non-imports, I'd imagine we'll look to protect 4 current starters and 3 other players.

I suspect that if Muamba signs a new deal, they'll attempt to time it so that he doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft. If not, that's one more spot gone.

Morley won't be protected.

At least one receiver that some people will expect us to protect will be left available.

Then you can decide whether you want to protect Pencer, Palardy, Renaud, Swiston, etc from that point.

I think him not playing this year is to keep him off the radar for the expansion draft as much as anything.

There are a handful of other young o-line prospects that I would consider being "on the radar" before Pencer.  I doubt he is on anyone's short list as of right now in his career.

There are a handful of other young o-line prospects that I would consider being "on the radar" before Pencer.  I doubt he is on anyone's short list as of right now in his career.

Which is exactly the point - We don't need to start the extra NI on the line right now & don't necessarily have the NI talent to back it up anyways so we're better off putting Pencer on the 9-game all year and put another year of practice seasoning into him.

If we did use him this year he might be decent but probably not dominant... which could make him valuable enough that we would be forced to protect him.  As it is we probably won't need to protect Pencer because there are so many other young NI O-line guys available who have been seen more.

which is exactly the point. If he goes onto the roster and gets to play and play well it's just another guy who might start to show up on someones radar. If he's on the IR all year and just practising then he's not likely to draw any interest and you can leave him unprotected and likely not lose him all the while protecting someone else who might actually draw some interest like Swiston. Same reason there were a lot of guys drafted this past year who weren't going to show up in the CFL this season.

At least one receiver that some people will expect us to protect will be left available.

would not surprise me in the least if Poblah wasn't protected. 

what is the contract status of some of the more notable NI players on this team anyway? I would suspect that guys who have expiring deals are likely to be left unsigned until after the expansion draft if possibe.

I'm sorry but Pencer is not on anyone's radar.  If Ottawa raids anyone for OL, it is Montreal, Saskatchewan or Calgary.  Basically, I see Taman leaving Picard exposed and starting Watman next year.

You look at all the centres that have gone - Jones, Norman, Watman - and we passed on all of them for Sorenson... THAT is frustrating.  I could handle it if Swiston was our ratio-changing RT this year but, now he's being groomed as a guard... so, yeah, I still see Wpg only being raided for a punter or kicker.

If I was Ottawa, I would just pick up Brett Cameron or maybe Lauther if he's left unprotected...  

Either way, our NI depth isn't good enough to not protect our key guys... Muamba, Muamba, Swiston, Kohlert, Watson... hmm, actually we could protect Palardy and Renaud... Ottawa is not picking Sorenson or Jake Thomas or... ??

I'm sorry but Pencer is not on anyone's radar. 

yes exactly the point! and by not playing he stays off the radar. If he got to play and played well then there's a chance people notice him. Seriously why are people having a hard time understanding that concept?

would not surprise me in the least if Poblah wasn't protected. 

what is the contract status of some of the more notable NI players on this team anyway? I would suspect that guys who have expiring deals are likely to be left unsigned until after the expansion draft if possibe.

Pontbriand, Renaud, H. Muamba, Etienne, Labbe, and Kowalczuk are all in their final year.

There are probably more but those 6 are for sure.

yes exactly the point! and by not playing he stays off the radar. If he got to play and played well then there's a chance people notice him. Seriously why are people having a hard time understanding that concept?

^

Lol... exactly this - We play him and he does reasonably well = we need to protect him because just about every team in the league with a starting NI tackle who isn't well past his 30th birthday is going to protect that player.

We may still protect Pencer even without playing him all year just because the potential upside of having a legit starting tackle is so big that Mack may not want to risk Ottawa taking a shot on him after every single other NI tackle in the league is protected (a legitimate possibility)

But you know that's not the reason he's not playing... if you have a ratio-breaking LT, you play the guy and then just protect him...  I mean seriously look at the league - the NI talent left unprotected is pretty substantial - we have so few key NI guys that... well, why worry.

Muamba, Muamba, Swiston, Pencer, Kohlert, Watson, Etienne....  ?  Maybe?  And really no one is picking Etienne and Kohlert 

I mean SK has 6 legit NI OL...  with Neufeld on 9 game and Vonk on PR

Montreal can't hide all their guys... especially with Edem and Adebayo on the roster now.  Their OL will be exposed. 

But you know that's not the reason he's not playing... if you have a ratio-breaking LT, you play the guy and then just protect him...  I mean seriously look at the league - the NI talent left unprotected is pretty substantial - we have so few key NI guys that... well, why worry.

Muamba, Muamba, Swiston, Pencer, Kohlert, Watson, Etienne....  ?  Maybe?  And really no one is picking Etienne and Kohlert 

Montreal can't hide all their guys... especially with Edem and Adebayo on the roster now.  Their OL will be exposed. 

You'd leave Greaves unprotected?

Also, pretty sure we can only protect 6, not 7.

And what has Matt Vonk done to be considered a "legit NI OL", in your eyes?

They aren't going to have to protect Flory - Ottawa isn't taking a 37 yr old Guard... Even Bourke could potentially be left alone at 31