Bombers add RB Travon Jones

gbill2004

Here comes the Winnipeg media to butcher the facts on this guy as usual.

No investigative efforts whatsoever.

Careful, you'll get blocked  ;)

Seriously. Is this real life right now? How bad can a reporter be?

Paul Wiecek @PaulWiecek 12m

RB Travon Jones (5-8, 171), who played for Sacramento State in 2012, has tweeted the Bombers have invited him to training camp. #bn

MorningBigBlue @MorningBigBlue 8m

@PaulWiecek he hasn't played for Sac State since 2007, Paul

Paul Wiecek @PaulWiecek 3m

Check that earlier tweet -- RB Travon Jones played for Sacramento State in 2007, more recently with McPherson College in 2012. #bn

MorningBigBlue @MorningBigBlue 1m

@PaulWiecek He left McPherson in 2011, Paul

Here comes the Winnipeg media to butcher the facts on this guy as usual.

No investigative efforts whatsoever.

Careful, you'll get blocked  ;)

Seriously. Is this real life right now? How bad can a reporter be?

Paul Wiecek @PaulWiecek 12m

RB Travon Jones (5-8, 171), who played for Sacramento State in 2012, has tweeted the Bombers have invited him to training camp. #bn

MorningBigBlue @MorningBigBlue 8m

@PaulWiecek he hasn't played for Sac State since 2007, Paul

Paul Wiecek @PaulWiecek 3m

Check that earlier tweet -- RB Travon Jones played for Sacramento State in 2007, more recently with McPherson College in 2012. #bn

MorningBigBlue @MorningBigBlue 1m

@PaulWiecek He left McPherson in 2011, Paul

Hilarious. Tell him to get back to covering the downs.

lol it just annoys me. If you're going to steal information I've tweeted out hours ago, you could at least either a) give credit where credit is due or b ) get your facts straight.

I wouldn't expect credit if I was posting it on my personal account, but posted on our website's Twitter? Come on now.

lol it just annoys me. If you're going to steal information I've tweeted out hours ago, you could at least either a) give credit where credit is due or b ) get your facts straight.

I wouldn't expect credit if I was posting it on my personal account, but posted on our website's Twitter? Come on now.

Understandably so. The guy is a turd, pure and simple.

Any scouting reports on how he performs at pass blocking?

I wouldn't expect to find any accurate or relevant scouting reports, this guy is 27 years old and hasn't played meaningful football in almost 7 years. I'm not even 100% convinced that he's signed a contract.

From the info on the internet, he sounds like he has his head screwed on properly, and has the physical talents to succeed in the CFL. He listed his greatest asset as peripheral vision and not getting hit by surprise. Seems to have decent hands as well. Sounds like a real challenger.

That'd require our media to actually pay attention and notice.

Just for fun, has anyone actually seen some of the media members at training camp?  I get that they are long practices but sometimes I swear they're not even paying attention to the field.

I wish I could be paid to attend trainign camp.   In some years past, I've taken holidays to watch.

I wouldn't expect to find any accurate or relevant scouting reports, this guy is 27 years old and hasn't played meaningful football in almost 7 years. I'm not even 100% convinced that he's signed a contract.

Sounds more like he was invited to another free agent camp or to the mini-camp down south.

I'm surprised the media isn't complaining yet about the mini-camp being held in the States...Edmonton sure got raked over the coals for doing that last year.

Sounds more like he was invited to another free agent camp or to the mini-camp down south.

I'm surprised the media isn't complaining yet about the mini-camp being held in the States...Edmonton sure got raked over the coals for doing that last year.

Wasn't the biggest issue with what Edmonton did that they didn't even tell the media about it until it was already over?

Just for fun, has anyone actually seen some of the media members at training camp?  I get that they are long practices but sometimes I swear they're not even paying attention to the field.

At the training camp sessions I've attended over the years, I notice they mostly watch a few minutes, enough to satisfy the blurbs they need (best catch, scrap of the day etc.) but don't really watch enough to know what is going on beyond what they are told by coaches.

I've been to training camp sessions where a guy literally makes one nice catch but drops everything else, slow out of his breaks, quitting on his routes, basically everything bad a receiver can do, and he's touted as a guy who should be in a battle to make the team because the reporter was watching for the 3 minutes where the guy made a great catch and didn't have any drops.

The one I went to last year when I also picked up my tickets, I saw a number of media guys hanging out around the entrance of IGF and kind of watched for them throughout the practice, they didn't really come in and pay attention until they started scrimmaging, missing all the positional groups and 1 on 1's (2 on 2's and 4 on 5 pass pro) between OL/DL, REC/DB's, and the pass skelly, important stuff if you are going to actually look critically at guys.

Wasn't the biggest issue with what Edmonton did that they didn't even tell the media about it until it was already over?

Could be.  Still doubt they would have paid for reporters to travel and stay in Florida either way.

At the training camp sessions I've attended over the years, I notice they mostly watch a few minutes, enough to satisfy the blurbs they need (best catch, scrap of the day etc.) but don't really watch enough to know what is going on beyond what they are told by coaches.

I've been to training camp sessions where a guy literally makes one nice catch but drops everything else, slow out of his breaks, quitting on his routes, basically everything bad a receiver can do, and he's touted as a guy who should be in a battle to make the team because the reporter was watching for the 3 minutes where the guy made a great catch and didn't have any drops.

The one I went to last year when I also picked up my tickets, I saw a number of media guys hanging out around the entrance of IGF and kind of watched for them throughout the practice, they didn't really come in and pay attention until they started scrimmaging, missing all the positional groups and 1 on 1's (2 on 2's and 4 on 5 pass pro) between OL/DL, REC/DB's, and the pass skelly, important stuff if you are going to actually look critically at guys.

I always put more stock into what the regular posters here say about training camp performances than what the reporters say. Only guy who was worth a damn was Tait and that's mostly because he seemed to just ask either the coach or GM who was standing out. I just don't believe any of the other guys have the actual insight to say anything of consequence. 

I was at a practice last year where Jim Toth tweeted that "Buck Pierce is looking great today at Bomber practice".  Buck threw a total of one pass that day.  That must have been the moment where Toth decided to glance at the field and see Buck throw a pass.  The rest of practice, Toth and the rest of the media were busy laughing/socializing and giggling at a video on one of the media's laptops.  I was seated near them in the stands so saw it all happen.

It really bothered me witnessing how someone in the media could report something so false. 

It boggles my mind how someone like Wicek still has a job in the industry. 

Most of them are just on their phone or tablet throughout the practice.  Sometimes they're just in a group mingling.  They've just got to get enough to make a fluff piece, that's really it.