Bombers add K/P Lirim Hajrullahu to neg list

gbill2004

I'd normally cheer this development but only when he shows up next year, for the crop of new coaches to rate his performance.

I, somehow, don't trust this group of coaches in judging the best kicker for our team.

that's because they let the best place kicker go, who set a new cfl record

He wasn't the best here when he was with us.

I'd normally cheer this development but only when he shows up next year, for the crop of new coaches to rate his performance.

I, somehow, don't trust this group of coaches in judging the best kicker for our team.

And you know that how? He never got a chance

And you know that how? He never got a chance

He competed at 2 TCs and couldn't win the job. The knowledgable posters who were regulars at those TCs have all said he wasn't good enough then.

meh. we let him get away, plain and simple.. teams need to develop kickers and we chose to let him walk.. bad decision.

Hindsight is 20/20. It was the correct decision at the time.

i beg to differ but hey, thats the joy of these forums..

Actually Parades was 1 tc.

True.  He was here for the 2011 Training camp, the year after Palardy set the franchise record for field goal percentage with 26/30 for 86.7%.  Tough to cut a guy like that in favour of a completely raw rookie, though it would have been nice to keep Paredes on the practice roster... many teams use a PR spot on a kicker.  Oh well... ancient history at this point.

Paredes improved a lot after he started getting tutored by Don Sweet (aka 'the kick doctor'):

Paredes, who played at Concordia, is about to wind up his second season with the Stampeders after getting cut by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after trying out in training camp of 2011. Paredes spent some time working in the off-season in Kingston with former Montreal kicker Don Sweet, who was part of two Grey Cup champions in the 1970s, and on Friday, Sweet called Paredes with some advice.

"He just told me to do my thing, no matter what kind of kick it is, an extra point or a game-winning field goal," Paredes said. "He changed my approach to the ball (last spring). He thought I was swinging too much and he made me relax a little bit more. If you look at the film, my stance is totally different this year.

"And there is the mental aspect. He helped me with how to stay focused during the game. I talk to him once a week and he is always refreshing my memory."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/GreyCup/2012/11/24/20382286.html

Right. My bad - it was one TC. 

Paredes improved a lot after he started getting tutored by Don Sweet (aka 'the kick doctor'):

Paredes, who played at Concordia, is about to wind up his second season with the Stampeders after getting cut by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after trying out in training camp of 2011. Paredes spent some time working in the off-season in Kingston with former Montreal kicker Don Sweet, who was part of two Grey Cup champions in the 1970s, and on Friday, Sweet called Paredes with some advice.

"He just told me to do my thing, no matter what kind of kick it is, an extra point or a game-winning field goal," Paredes said. "He changed my approach to the ball (last spring). He thought I was swinging too much and he made me relax a little bit more. If you look at the film, my stance is totally different this year.

"And there is the mental aspect. He helped me with how to stay focused during the game. I talk to him once a week and he is always refreshing my memory."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/GreyCup/2012/11/24/20382286.html

I think they said during a game last season that Paredes had been talking to a sport psychiatrist before each game as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

How did he look?

He's thick at the hips and has tree trunks for legs and we'd lose sight of Etienne if he was standing behind him, but if you're talking about his kicking, while I didn't see all the game, there were factors including the wind and all the points Western scored that prevented a good look at him, but he does possess a good kickoff leg from what i saw. I didn't see any punts.

Anybody else?

Bison kicker Nick Boyd is also a 5th year and a free agent.  Has a huge leg, not a great placekicker, but should get a shot to punt in the CFL.  He needs some time to develop his placement, but he's been much better this season.  In the Hardy Cup today he pinned Calgary inside their 20 for most of the first half, too bad the Bisons offence and defence couldn't do much.  He hit one that was a 48 yard punt that landed on the sideline. 

How did he look?

has now made 19 in a row. Hit a 48 yarder with the win 41 against. Kicking with the wind must have had 3-4 kickoff singles. In a game where it was blow out you did notice him and the announcers by the end of the game where touting him as player of the game.

• 1 month later...

meh. we let him get away, plain and simple.. teams need to develop kickers and we chose to let him walk.. bad decision.

I attended a lot of that training camp and Paredes was just brutal. Big leg but he was missing everything. Can't blame the Bombers for releasing him. At the time I couldn't understand how he even got invited. Hindsight is 20/20 but the coaches made the right call given the information they had at the time. He rebounded and is doing well...good for him. However, it is ignorant to say that it was a bad decision to keep Palardy over a guy who was shanking everything....especially when you were not around to see what they based their decision on.

I attended a lot of that training camp and Paredes was just brutal. Big leg but he was missing everything. Can't blame the Bombers for releasing him. At the time I couldn't understand how he even got invited. Hindsight is 20/20 but the coaches made the right call given the information they had at the time. He rebounded and is doing well...good for him. However, it is ignorant to say that it was a bad decision to keep Palardy over a guy who was shanking everything....especially when you were not around to see what they based their decision on.

It is a well known fact that Paredes wasn't the same kicker when he was in Bomber camp as he is now. You can't use hindsight to try and claim a mistake when in fact the guy they kept was quite an accurate kicker himself and at the time Paredes was not. He put in the effort to improve himself after getting cut and good on him for that but let's not pretend he was the same guy when the Bombers cut him. 

It is a well known fact that Paredes wasn't the same kicker when he was in Bomber camp as he is now. You can't use hindsight to try and claim a mistake when in fact the guy they kept was quite an accurate kicker himself and at the time Paredes was not. He put in the effort to improve himself after getting cut and good on him for that but let's not pretend he was the same guy when the Bombers cut him. 

Kind of reminds me of Dorsey back in '07.  Couldn't beat out AJ III and went to Toronto and had a great year