Swiston vs Neufeld?

gbill2004

I think it suggests that we are going to have people compete for jobs next year and the best players will win.

No one is going to be handed a job.  And based on the way this team has played, no one should be.

but isn't this what has been said for the past several years?

Doubt we lose an OL in the expansion draft.  Swiston, Pencer, and Neufeld will probably all be here next season, with Neufeld having the inside track on the starting RT job.

I hope they take Poblah.

Wouldn't be surprised.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed in a new environment.  Unfortunately our inept coaching staff seems to have sucked any talent that existed right out of him.

I think it suggests that we are going to have people compete for jobs next year and the best players will win.

No one is going to be handed a job.  And based on the way this team has played, no one should be.

I have to hope that a new GM means it will be a reality this time.  If not, this team will continue on the path it is now, which is not a good one for the long term stability of the franchise.

I have to hope that a new GM means it will be a reality this time.  If not, this team will continue on the path it is now, which is not a good one for the long term stability of the franchise.

Or the other side of that argument is that there has been competition for spots on this team, the coaches we have though just can't maximize the returns on that talent. The list of players who have really progressed on this team is really really short, but the list of guys who have seen their play regress is quite lengthy. 

Not really...they have 15 or 16 O lineman in camp right now...when is the last time you have seen that?

Or the other side of that argument is that there has been competition for spots on this team, the coaches we have though just can't maximize the returns on that talent. The list of players who have really progressed on this team is really really short, but the list of guys who have seen their play regress is quite lengthy. 

Agreed but I also think there has been positions where there was little to no competition in camp over the last few years.   O-line is one of those areas, especially at the import OLine spot(s).  Mack seemed to love bringing in receivers, D-Linemen, and somewhat DBs.  And I think he was successful bringing in talent in those positions (receiver is hard to gauge with lack of quality QBs throwing to them)

Lack of competition at OLine, kick returner, and some years linebacker (do like some of the additions from this year) have come back to bite us.

QBs is a different story.  Can't deny he tried with bringing in new options, just haven't had much success.  Whether or not that is entirely on the talent brought in or the schemes from the coaches, will never know exactly the cause.  I don't think many non-CFL vets would be successful in the offense we ran over the last couple of years, but that also doesn't mean that the QBs brought in were good.  They just really weren't given much of a chance to succeed to find out.

The whole thing is, how can we feel comfortable at all, with our coaching staff as to making the correct decision as who is or is not progressing.

We've all seen other teams make changes on the fly and usually these changes result in better team play. I can't say I seen the same with our team.

So how can we tell who on our team is doing well or not, when we can't trust who is teaching them?

The situation with this team right now is such that the absolute best thing to do is to do a total housecleaning. New GM, new coaches and let those people decide what the quality of the roster looks like. I have no faith in the current coaches to make a proper determination because they have failed so hard in doing that. 

So is Neufeld expected to be better than Swiston?

In brief, yes.

But when the trade was made, many Rider fans claimed it was a real steal because Neufeld was just a back-up who they would have lost to Ottawa anyway.

So I went to Riderfans.com to see what they were saying about Neufeld at the end of the 2012 season. Recall that Taman had made a big splash in free agency that year and brought in Labatte and Picard. At the end of the season though, the fans were disappointed; their O-line hadn't performed as well as had been expected. And, indeed, Neufreld was viewed as it's weak link.

What he's got going for him though is that he's very young and hopefully will improve. He may have lost his job to Ben Heenan (a #1 overall pick) but that doesn't mean he's not better than anything we've got.

Thanks Fred. That's good to hear. Sounds like Neufeld can be a middle of the pack CFL starting tackle. As a Canadian, that we got for a 2nd round draft pick, that's huge.

I suppose this now relegates Pencer to backup tackle or guard? Or perhaps the 3 of Neufeld, Swiston, Pencer fill 2 spots (tackle & guard); always good to have competition. All of a sudden it seems like we have a solid, young up and coming group of Canadian OL.

I keep hearing from Riders fans that they expect Neufeld to return to the Riders once he becomes a free agent in 2 years, because he's from Sask. I'd hope the Bombers would lock him up before he hits free agency.

Ottawa ends up with TE, jake thomas and morley

We can only hope they take Steve Morely off of our hands.

Maybe we can swing a trade sending Morely/Max Hall/Poblah/Jovon/Cauchy and Sandra for a 6th round draft pick.

There is no way, that's a ridiculous thing for you to say.....there's no way they could fit that on the back of a uniform.