Als Versus Lions Game Day Thread

rebusrankin

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There is nothing worse than a comedy schtick that is both unfunny and lacking self-awareness.

Not everyone is James Duthie and that's okay....but they try and force everyone into that role. (And I don't necessarily always find Duthie funny, but you get my point)

The best, IMO, will always be Randorf. Didn't try too hard...

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not everyone is James Duthie and that's okay....but they try and force everyone into that role. (And I don't necessarily always find Duthie funny, but you get my point)

Has a pretty sweet gig in Tampa atm, so good for him

Yeah, I think her inspiration is Jay and Dan because that's the environment she came up in.  When they were absolute stars and on their way to the US.  Kind of like Fajardo trying to run Mahomes playbook.  You can call the play but really only the one guy can execute that act, I say one guy because to me it's always been mostly Jay.  Dan is just a great straight man.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

This is the problem.

For years they had Randorf, Shultz, Climie, Dunigan, et al. And they were professional and traditional “newscasters”. So when they broke a bit and cracked jokes with each other, it was rare and funny. 

Now instead of focusing on the game and allow it to occur naturally, they’re planning the bits and talking about the game as a secondary measure. And when they do, it’s all screaming over each other that no one can even hear. It’s not worth watching anymore.

I mean O’Toole I think could have been ok - but we saw what happened to him. 

Hedger must not want to do it. 

Not to derail this game thread... And I know I'm in the minority, but I really never understood Jay and Dan. I just don't get the forced awkward comedy. As was mentioned earlier the old school professional broadcasting style of the original crew is more what I like, and when they do something funny it's rare and hilarious. Anyone remember the panel watching a clip of big Joe Montford attempting to chase down a fumbled ball and Dunigan yelling at the monitor "C'mon Joe! Get it Joe!!" ?? It was our of nowhere and hilarious.

Not to derail this game thread... And I know I'm in the minority, but I really never understood Jay and Dan. I just don't get the forced awkward comedy. As was mentioned earlier the old school professional broadcasting style of the original crew is more what I like, and when they do something funny it's rare and hilarious. Anyone remember the panel watching a clip of big Joe Montford attempting to chase down a fumbled ball and Dunigan yelling at the monitor "C'mon Joe! Get it Joe!!" ?? It was our of nowhere and hilarious.

Agreed.  I couldn't watch their version of SC when I wanted just to know what happened in sports.  It's funny TSN runs a separate version of SC against Jay's every night and on the morning loop so I guess I'm not alone.  I do enjoy his NFL coverage though, and their podcast stuff over the years.

Fajardo can't hit the intermediate stuff.  Quick slant, screen, or deep.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I enjoyed early Jay and Dan when they were just being natural. When they got their own show and had to be “on” all the time, it just got corny.