Random question of the week

I was 11 years old in 1966. Since the Xmas the year before in 65, I wanted an electric road racing set. Well, after a year of waiting, wishing & hoping, my parents bought me that road racing set. A Scalextric set. I loved it. It still stands as one of the greatest gifts I've ever received. 

This was the set I used to have:

Box lid from a 1960's Scalextric Model Motor racing Set Stock Photo - Alamy\

Scalextric C3231 Ford GT 1966 Daytona Walt Hansgen Mark Donohue Slot Car  1/32 | eBay

I had this car. It was so fast & balanced. Especially in the corners. It wouldn't go flying off the track. When I raced my friends I always raced with this car. I never lost. Plus the track was set up permanently on a table in our rec room downstairs so I could practice by myself all the time. I knew when to accelerate or back off the control stick. IT cost my folks $45 in 1966.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I was 11 years old in 1966. Since the Xmas the year before in 65, I wanted an electric road racing set. Well, after a year of waiting, wishing & hoping, my parents bought me that road racing set. A Scalextric set. I loved it. It still stands as one of the greatest gifts I've ever received. 

This was the set I used to have:

Box lid from a 1960's Scalextric Model Motor racing Set Stock Photo - Alamy\

Scalextric C3231 Ford GT 1966 Daytona Walt Hansgen Mark Donohue Slot Car  1/32 | eBay

I had this car. It was so fast & balanced. Especially in the corners. It wouldn't go flying off the track. When I raced my friends I always raced with this car. I never lost. Plus the track was set up permanently on a table in our rec room downstairs so I could practice by myself all the time. I knew when to accelerate or back off the control stick. It cost my folks $45 in 1966. That's roughly $425.00 today. 

I’ll go with what I think was the best gift I have ever given, and it also ended up giving back to me. A bit of a backstory first. My mom would tell me that when I was little, I would take my blocks over to where she did her sewing and sit on the floor by her. She said I told her I was building a castle for her and that someday I would buy her a castle (my mom always loved castles).

Fast-forward to the mid-90’s and I was in Calgary for a conference just before Mother’s Day. I went into a store (I think it was called History Makers) and was looking around. They had some miniature castles on display, the kind of thing you would put on a display shelf in your living room. My mom had a shelf like that with a glass door because she liked to collect stuff like that. I saw the castles and thought it would make a great Mother’s Day gift because it would be kind of amusing since I could say that I kept my promise. I left the store and started walking down the street and then thought “yes, stupid, that would make a great gift”. Went back and bought Edinburgh Castle and my mom loved it.

Fast-forward to 2014 and my mom was dying. I was able to make it back to Winnipeg a few days before she died and see her while she was still conscious and semi-lucid. After she died, we were at my parent’s house and my sister took the castle from the shelf and gave it to me saying “you should have this”. To this day it sits proudly on display in my home. I’ve told my daughter that she’s free to pick it up and look at it, but she won’t touch it because she knows how special it is to me and she’s afraid she’ll break it.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Time for some Colbert Questionnaire short snappers:

Best sandwich?

Scariest animal?

Dogs or cats?

Window or aisle?

Clear or sparkling?

Apples or oranges?

Favorite action movie?

Favorite smell? 

Least favorite smell?

One song to listen to for the rest of your life - which one?

My answers:

The best sandwich to me is not my personal favourite (the steak sandwich - is it really a sandwich?) nor os it my most memorable sandwich ever (a thick cut hot roast beef sandwich with pan gravy and home fries in a New York deli at 2:30 am in 1986) but rather is the most universally accessible sandwich to the masses - the PB and J (other than those with allergies, anyone from 5 to 75 will not turn down a PB and J)

Although more people know the term for a fear of spiders more than the fear of any other animal, for me it is the shark. You are out of your element, cannot see them coming, and truly defenceless if they want to attack you compared to fighting off other beasts. 

I have always been a cat person, but now have a dog, and at their best dogs are better than cats (but at their worst they are also worse than cats). I kind of take a pass on this one. 

Window, always window. 

Water - clear

Oranges - apples are good with an additive (peanut butter, caramel or in a pie with glaze) but oranges stand on their own. Mandarins are the best. 

The Bond films currently (Spy Who Loved Me and Skyfall at the top) but the Mission Impossible franchise is top shelf since the 4th instalment. Truly though, I am confident I have not yet seen what will be my favourite action movie - the bar keeps getting raised. 

A pine forest is pretty amazing, but have to opt for vanilla as my favourite smell

Having a past in health care, I can say confidently that geriatric urine and excrement are truly awful, and eschemic bowel is the worst. But in a non-medical world, I go with “wet dog”

I’m a huge U2 fan, so a live version of With or Without You or Bad tops my list. But I will say that the Beatles “A Day in the Life” has a lot going on in it. 

Best sandwich? Grilled cheese with tomato

Scariest animal? Holstein Bull

Dogs or cats? Never cats

Window or aisle? Aisle

Clear or sparkling? Clear

Apples or oranges? Apples - but prefer orange juice

Favorite action movie? I hate all of them

Favorite smell? Fresh lime leaves

Least favorite smell? Excrement

One song to listen to for the rest of your life - which one? Master of the Wind

Best sandwich?  Clubhouse, I mean bacon and turkey come on match made in heaven

Scariest animal? Shark, have you seen the teeth of some of them

Dogs or cats? Dogs, cats are useless

Window or aisle? Window, especially at night

Clear or sparkling? Clear

Apples or oranges? Apples, oranges give me heartburn

Favorite action movie? M I

Favorite smell? Vanilla

Least favorite smell? Rancid meat

One song to listen to for the rest of your life - which one? Metallica, Master of Puppets

On 2023-10-08 at 11:58 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Best sandwich?

- Cajun chicken sandwich, or any sandwich made for me by someone else

Scariest animal?

- A rabid coyote

Dogs or cats?

- Cat by necessity, dog by preference (prefer mice less)

Window or aisle?

- Aisle

Clear or sparkling?

- Clear

Apples or oranges?

- Apples, better than a cup of coffee energy-wise

Favorite action movie?

- I love Kung-Fu movies. 36th Chamber of Shaolin probably tops the list... Ong-Bak and The Protector... love cheesy stuff like Mortal Kombat, Bloodsport (now and then for the nostalgic lols)... Kill Bill just turned 20!

Favorite smell? 

- A park on a fall day, or a garden center in spring (I'm an avid gardener)

Least favorite smell?

- Rotting grass clippings 🤮

- That's incredibly tough. Probably this Kyuss song, 'Space Cadet' but I'd hate to leave behind all my precious Opeth and their 15 minute metal epics

I'll play

Best sandwich: clubhouse (although Montreal smoked meat is good too)

Scariest animal: Deer/Moose, because of the fear of hitting one while driving at 100 km/hr (been there, done that, don’t recommend)

Dogs or cats: Dogs, never cats

Window or aisle: Window for domestic; aisle for long-haul since I don’t sleep on planes and like to be able to stand up every couple hours to stretch my legs as much as I can.

Clear or sparkling: Clear

Apples or oranges: Apples

Favourite action movie: To pick only one, The Terminator (original)

Favourite smell: Campfire

Least favourite smell: Cooked rhubarb

One song to listen to: Tecumseh Valley – Townes van Zandt. I chose this because it’s the one song I never get tired of playing on guitar.

On 2023-10-08 at 11:58 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Best sandwich?

Scariest animal?

Dogs or cats?

Window or aisle?

Clear or sparkling?

Apples or oranges?

Favorite action movie?

Favorite smell? 

Least favorite smell?

Sandwich: usually I take one with Turkey and Chicken slices with an Egg to go with it for lunch

Scariest animal: seasonal bugs that make it their life's mission to torment you

Dogs or Cats?: I love both but I'll give it to Dogs they love you back more

Window or Aisle: usually Window of you're referring to bus

Clear or Sparkling: I prefer clear

Apples or Oranges: Oranges, small ones

Favourite Action Movie: I don't have one but I look forward to when the Streets of Rage movie comes out

Favourite Smell: Hard to say it's a tossup between the smell of the heater when it comes on at the start of the chilly season, or the smell of chlorine of pools of Vacations past, or the long forgotten smell of dried up slurpee spillage at a 7-11 or a concession stand at a community centre (Hey I'm old enough to remember when 7-11 used to have arcade machines most of these smells I am describing are nostalgic smells) I agree with BB's answer too (as long as the sparks aren't haywire)

Least Favorite Smell:  The Mushroom factory in St Boniface

One song to listen to for the rest of my life? just one?

4 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Sandwich: usually I take one with Turkey and Chicken slices with an Egg to go with it for lunch

Scariest animal: seasonal bugs that make it their life's mission to torment you

Dogs or Cats?: I love both but I'll give it to Dogs they love you back more

Window or Aisle: usually Window of you're referring to bus

Clear or Sparkling: I prefer clear

Apples or Oranges: Oranges, small ones

Favourite Action Movie: I don't have one but I look forward to when the Streets of Rage movie comes out

Favourite Smell: Hard to say it's a tossup between the smell of the heater when it comes on at the start of the chilly season, or the smell of chlorine of pools of Vacations past, or the long forgotten smell of dried up slurpee spillage at a 7-11 or a concession stand at a community centre (Hey I'm old enough to remember when 7-11 used to have arcade machines most of these smells I am describing are nostalgic smells) I agree with BB's answer too (as long as the sparks aren't haywire)

Least Favorite Smell:  The Mushroom factory in St Boniface

One song to listen to for the rest of my life? just one?

Window or aisle?  Bus answer is fine, but I was thinking of a plane. And yes, only one song. It is meant to be that tough to answer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Next question:

This is in the vein of never have I ever. What is something you have never done or seen that would surprise people? This is meant to be a common occurrence that you assume most people at some point have done, like “I have never flown in a plane/driven a car” or “I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies” for someone who is older than 30.  

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Next question:

This is in the vein of never have I ever. What is something you have never done or seen that would surprise people? This is meant to be a common occurrence that you assume most people at some point have done, like “I have never flown in a plane/driven a car” or “I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies” for someone who is older than 30.  

In nearly 40 years I've never once been to the States. I've been across Canada and spent a week or more in each of Spain, Germany, Denmark, and The Netherlands, but never once crossed the American border. For what? Cereal? Tahiti Treat? Civil forfeitures? No thank you. Though I would like to go to Vegas one day.

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

In nearly 40 years I've never once been to the States. I've been across Canada and spent a week or more in each of Spain, Germany, Denmark, and The Netherlands, but never once crossed the American border. For what? Cereal? Tahiti Treat? Civil forfeitures? No thank you. Though I would like to go to Vegas one day.

I have been but I'm pretty much the same now.  I've seen what I wanted (Vegas, Disney, Universal etc) but I'm not sure I'll ever go again. 

So many more places I would prefer to see and spend my time/money in.

18 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I have been but I'm pretty much the same now.  I've seen what I wanted (Vegas, Disney, Universal etc) but I'm not sure I'll ever go again. 

So many more places I would prefer to see and spend my time/money in.

Not to mention the fact that we have so many things to explore in our own back yard in this great Country of ours.

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Not to mention the fact that we have so many things to explore in our own back yard in this great Country of ours.

Yep, I was in Halifax for the first time this summer.  Wasn't there for long and they had massive flooding a couple days before I got there so it wasn't the best timing but I'm really looking forward to going back. 

• 5 weeks later...

It’s been a while, but since we are in off-season mode now, time for another random question. This one inspired by US Thanksgiving and the annual call back to this TV moment, which makes this episode a contender:

happy-holidays-thanksgiving-break.gif

wkrp-turkey.gif

The question - in your opinion, what is the single funniest episode in television history?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever