Manitoba Fishing

JCon

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

love that everyone has the "shot of Fireball for a good fish" rule...... I honestly thought that was just us. Love it...

Packing the gear tonight and headed out tomorrow morning (3 hour drive to our favourite walleye lake - among the best in AB, anyhow) for a two day rip. Looking forward to our second overnighter and building upon the things we learned the first time around. I shall report back on Monday with the results....the search for a 30" "prairie gold" walter continues...

Those 30 are very elusive my friend. Good luck. Biggest I've caught is 29, and I just can't get over that last hurdle. Smart sumbeyotches when they get that big.

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Should just be honest and up front and title this thread “sitting around drinking”. 

It's not sitting around drinking, and no one has a problem with alcohol, if you attach an activity to it. I always tell my wife that I must have beers, fireball, and 40 creek when ice fishing or my friends will think I'm weird. That's not even a lie, and it seems to be working so far. If I just sat in my undies day drinking on the couch she'd have turfed me by now.

Edited by GCn20

ICE FISHING PRO TIP:

We all have that one friend that digs in our tackle box when we are checking our tip ups looking for an upgrade on their jig head.

Place a 2oz shot of sambuca next to your dinner bells and if you smell licorice when you walk into the tent you can tell him that if he loses it he owes you a new one. 

FOLLOW ME FOR MORE ICE FISHING PRO TIPS

Edited by GCn20

Going out for Rainbow's Saturday just down the road and hitting Clearwater for Lakers next week. 

Last year I hit the Northern Grand Slam for master angler fish. Hoping to get my first two species knocked out in the next few days. Need my rainbow and Laker. I got all wnter for Jack and pickerel..so not worried about that at all. Got mid lake a few miles from home for the rainbows ...but I suck at small trout fishing.

I'm not a big trout guy... One day I'd like to put in the grind for an Athapap 50" Laker, but it's not really my jam. Top water bass is my #1 jam, and hunting 30" walleye is close behind. I could spend all day every day targeting those... Pike, as they should be, are always a -1 on the board. 

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Bass can be a ton of fun, when you get on top of a school. I was on a lake in the Kenora area a few years ago - excellent bass bite.

Bass are fun for sure.

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm not a big trout guy... One day I'd like to put in the grind for an Athapap 50" Laker, but it's not really my jam. Top water bass is my #1 jam, and hunting 30" walleye is close behind. I could spend all day every day targeting those... Pike, as they should be, are always a -1 on the board. 

Bass are great, but a 50 inch laker is the ultimate test of an ice fisherman imo....and Athapap is not the best place for big Lakers...Clearwater is a better option.

41 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Bass are fun for sure.

Bass are great, but a 50 inch laker is the ultimate test of an ice fisherman imo....and Athapap is not the best place for big Lakers...Clearwater is a better option.

Everything I've ever read is that Clearwater has better numbers (more fish, but generally smaller), but Athapap has the overall BIGGEST Lakers, just that it's a really tough grind because you can spend all day and only get one or two bites, and you have to make them count. 

18 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

**** that. Just go to GSL's East Arm, Lac La Marte, or Great Bear Lake if you want to bag giant lakers. MBB fishing trip anyone? LOL

Yes Great Bear is the stuff of legends. I've read some stuff from guides who worked up there. That is almost mythical! 

Again, though, give me NW Ontario in June, when the bass are huddled up in fallen timber, and let me toss a Rebel Pop-R over the brush.....pop.....pop.....SMASH. The best feeling.

Just now, Noeller said:

Yes Great Bear is the stuff of legends. I've read some stuff from guides who worked up there. That is almost mythical! 

Again, though, give me NW Ontario in June, when the bass are huddled up in fallen timber, and let me toss a Rebel Pop-R over the brush.....pop.....pop.....SMASH. The best feeling.

NW Ontario any time of year is pretty damned wonderful - and so conveniently close. And the fact that you can target so many species keeps things fresh.

GBL is on the list but I think I'd need to win the lottery to make it happen.

On 2023-01-20 at 10:20 AM, Noeller said:

Everything I've ever read is that Clearwater has better numbers (more fish, but generally smaller), but Athapap has the overall BIGGEST Lakers, just that it's a really tough grind because you can spend all day and only get one or two bites, and you have to make them count. 

I have fished both and have seen bohemeths out of Clearwater. Athapap you can spend days trying to get one or two of the same size fish as you will get in an afternoon at Clearwater. Could you break a world record at Athapap? Yep. Will you? Not unless you know that lake like the back of your hand and get lucky.  If you go out on a guided trip from Bakers Narrows they will put you on some good spots but even the guides there aren't going to find you anything that you can't get at Clearwater. For my money Clearwater is the best bet. You will catch big Lakers and you will catch numbers. Even Reed Lake is a better destination than Athapap because you will get on walleye, and big pike at the same time as you are fishing the Lakers. Honestly, the allure of Athapap is that it had the world record Laker for a long time and that brings the people there, but it's Laker population and sizes for a guy making a trip once a year just don't mesh up with what is reported about that lake. I know crap loads of serious ice fisherman from the North and they all tend to agree with me on that. Nothing against Athapap....but the size of fish you can expect out of there is pretty wildly overstated.

On 2023-01-20 at 11:34 AM, blue_gold_84 said:

NW Ontario any time of year is pretty damned wonderful - and so conveniently close. And the fact that you can target so many species keeps things fresh.

GBL is on the list but I think I'd need to win the lottery to make it happen.

I did GBL when I was a teenager with my Dad. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. We didn't catch anything overwhelmingly big but weather didn't cooperate with us either.

Friend of mine just taught me to refill 1lb cylinders from a 20lb tank with an adaptor he bought from Amazon. Game changer. I ordered one and should be in next week. I feel so stupid for buying them at full cost now. I have a hose adaptor for a 20 lb tank but I hate hauling the 20lb tank when I just pop out of a couple hours in front of my cottage so I go through a fair amount of 1lb tanks out of convenience. Now I can refill them easily off my BBQ. Geez.....

• 2 months later...

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=58543&posted=2023-03-29

NEW ANGLING REGULATIONS TAKE EFFECT APRIL 1

Manitobans and visitors will be able to enjoy year-round fishing opportunities for certain species across the province starting April 1, Natural Resources and Northern Development Minister Greg Nesbitt announced today.

“As new regulations come into effect, anglers will be able to experience a whole new fishing adventure,” said Nesbitt. “It’s exciting to be able to catch species such as northern pike and smallmouth bass during a time that has traditionally been closed. The Manitoba government encourages everyone to explore the province’s world-class fisheries.”

Walleye fishing will be closed starting April 3 this season. The walleye fishing season opens in the Southern fishing division on May 13, except on Lake Winnipeg, which opens one week later on May 20, and in the Northwest and North Central fishing divisions, which will also open May 20. Anglers must not target species during closed times.

Some areas will be closed to all fishing this spring to protect spawning stocks including the Red River between Lockport Dam and Lake Winnipeg, Dauphin Lake and its tributaries, excluding the Vermilion Reservoir, and the Assiniboine River downstream of the Portage Diversion to Provincial Road 240.

New angling licences can be purchased online and at participating vendors starting April 1. Annual licences will be valid starting May 1 and new one-day angling licences will be valid for chosen dates. Fee changes will align with new licence types.

Anglers will now be able to carry angling licences on an electronic device or as a printed copy and must be able to show proof of licensing upon request. All anglers are required to obtain a Manitoba angling licence to fish in the province, unless exempt or fishing within a federal park.

Manitoba seniors, active military members and veterans who reside in Manitoba do not require an angling licence to fish, but must show proof of age, residency and identification.

For more information on fishing regulations refer to the 2023 Manitoba Anglers’ Guide, available online at www.manitobafisheries.com or in stores where angling licences are sold.

For more information or to purchase an angling licence, visit: www.manitobaelicensing.ca.

26 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

lots of hot takes on this on the various fishing 'boards...... the biggest impact will be on tournaments which may not be able to run (especially the bass tourneys). Anyone who wants to run a tourney will have to make it CPR (Catch/Photo/Release) which is a lot more hassle, but the only way to do it now. 

I love species-specific annual closures, rather than water body-specific....... fishing bass all year is excellent and pike, wellll.... who really cares. Protecting the walleye during spawn is the real key. 

All in all, some interesting changes that the COs are going to have their hands full enforcing....

36 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Problem is, people will fish the south basin for Pike, but they will be catching mostly Walleye.  IMO, places with a heavy Walleye population, should be closed to all fishing until after spawning. 

Thankfully the stretch from Lockport to the mouth is closed until after spawn. That will help a bit. 

On 2023-04-04 at 8:48 PM, Mark H. said:

Problem is, people will fish the south basin for Pike, but they will be catching mostly Walleye.  IMO, places with a heavy Walleye population, should be closed to all fishing until after spawning. 

It's year one. I would imagine that if they see the spawn being disrupted that they will put general closures in certain areas beginning next year. COs will be out hot and heavy in the South basin, bet on that. If someone wants to poach they will find it very difficult in that area. 

On 2023-04-04 at 3:32 PM, Noeller said:

lots of hot takes on this on the various fishing 'boards...... the biggest impact will be on tournaments which may not be able to run (especially the bass tourneys). Anyone who wants to run a tourney will have to make it CPR (Catch/Photo/Release) which is a lot more hassle, but the only way to do it now. 

I love species-specific annual closures, rather than water body-specific....... fishing bass all year is excellent and pike, wellll.... who really cares. Protecting the walleye during spawn is the real key. 

All in all, some interesting changes that the COs are going to have their hands full enforcing....

I honestly love it. Gives me a chance to go fish around, get my rods ready and try a few spots before opening day. Up here, the ice is only out a few days before the opener anyway....lol. I really don't see the harm in catch and release of other fish that aren't open yet, and ice out pike make a delicious meal.

Edited by GCn20

On 2023-04-04 at 8:48 PM, Mark H. said:

We don't have nearly enough Conservation Officers to check catches and I don't like the idea of unnecessarily stressing spawning walleye.  Walleye are not really aggressive feeders during spawn, but they can be caught.  Shame to accidentally kill a female when they each can carry thousands of eggs.

Just another rule change to cater to the bearded, mirror-sunglass wearing crowd.

38 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Coldwater pike is absolutely delightful.

Coldwater burbot/mariah is amazing - as hard as that is to believe.  Tastes like lobster when you dip it in melted butter.

Again, just a reminder that the primary breeding area for walleye in the south is still under a seasonal ban..... Lockport dam to the mouth remains closed to all fishing until the 3rd Sunday of May. The catfishing guides are actually kind of chapped about that, but as mentioned, protecting the walleye spawn is absolutely crucial.