Manitoba Fishing

JCon

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Between 18-22" seems like the ideal slot for keepers. Baked lake trout with dill and lemon is delightful, especially with a nice cold beer.

If you have a recipe, can you DM me?

We need to cook them, at some point

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

it's really great so far.... also finally broke down and bought the Strikemaster 40V Lite which is among the best money I've ever spent in fishing. We'd been using an Eskimo uninsulated double bubble along with a Jiffy Pro4 propane auger, and the word "upgrade" is a massive understatement. Really glad we moved up in the world this year...

oh they're riduclous right now... we buy 3 packs from CT, which used to be like 18 bucks and now they're 25, I think. Insanity.

You need an ice shack with a wood stove...I'll sell you the oak firewood. 😄

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

When I was a kid, my dad and his work buddies built a "permie", that sat along the Winnipeg River, tucked into the bush alongside a big bay. It was there all year. In winter, you'd go set up tip-up's (old times!) in the bay and just watch for flags from the window of the shack. Amazing to think back on those days. Now, I like to be more mobile and hunt the fish that are constantly roaming. Having the big tent is nice for the overnighters, but during the day, it's so important to stay mobile. We drill a **** ton of holes and constantly move around. I desperately want to buy the new "live sonar" (I think Garmin LiveScope has my vote right now, but the Humminbird MegaLive is tempting as well...) which will really change the game for us...

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

No reason why you wouldn't??

Just never have. When I go Lake Trouting I'm usually sharpshooting on Clearwater, Tramping, or Athapap, for the big girls with Livescope and I'm fishing really deep with massive baits and there just aren't the little ones around where I target. Through the ice, I don't generally go for Lake Trout. That being said, it's probably because I only go for Lakers a couple times a year and mostly as Clearwater and the guy I go with is just insanely good at finding the big fish. He is a well known fishing guide up in the North. Even has his own fishing forum...lol.

16 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Woodstoves are the bomb if you can find one. Pretty popular this time of year...lol.

Edited by GCn20

36 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

...sharpshooting on Clearwater, Tramping, or Athapap, for the big girls with Livescope and I'm fishing really deep with massive baits...

Jigging for monster lakers at 150+ ft. is a ******* experience for sure. I was lucky enough to fish God's Lake in 2019, so now those three lakes you mentioned are on the list. We had a trip to Athapap booked two years ago but had to cancel due to the pandemic.

I thought jigging for big walleye was fun - until I tried jigging for big lakers. 

13-fishing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

37 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Same. We were jigging with sucker belly or trolling with lures, up on Kississing.  Caught big boys and eaters.

A game changer with tube jigs. 

white tube jigs with some sucker belly.....up on Athapap for the 50+"ers....... that's a bucket list item for me. If you watch some of Clayton Schick's vids (one of only a handful that the wife and I watch religiously) from up that way, it is ridonkulous, the slobs he's iced. One day I'll get up there...

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

white tube jigs with some sucker belly.....up on Athapap for the 50+"ers....... that's a bucket list item for me. If you watch some of Clayton Schick's vids (one of only a handful that the wife and I watch religiously) from up that way, it is ridonkulous, the slobs he's iced. One day I'll get up there...

I fished through the ice last year right next to Clayton on Wekusko. He grinds hard for his footage though...lemme tell you. He is out hours before daylight and doesn't come off the ice until late. Had a beer with him in Snow Lake and he is the nicest guy. Don't disturb him when he's on the ice unless you see his flag before he does, but afterwards he will teach you all that he know. Just loves fishing that guy. He is out almost every day, and he told me that only 1 in 5 days is worth the filming, but he still loves those 4 other days on the ice/boat. He gets incredible support from all the lodge owners too. They are scouting for him for days before he gets there.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Jigging for monster lakers at 150+ ft. is a ******* experience for sure. I was lucky enough to fish God's Lake in 2019, so now those three lakes you mentioned are on the list. We had a trip to Athapap booked two years ago but had to cancel due to the pandemic.

I thought jigging for big walleye was fun - until I tried jigging for big lakers. 

13-fishing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

A game changer with tube jigs. 

With electronics the way they are now, sharpshooting is the way to go. Livescope is just so good and accurate that just driving structure ready to drop your jig is amazing. My buddy is so good at it, it's why we don't get small ones. We drop only when there is a big one. Through the ice....just find out where Clayton is going this week and follow him. lmao...jk....sort of...I've done it.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

we call that "**** hawking"..... ;)

Yep...it's not cool with some people, but if you keep a respectful distance, don't bother your neighbor, and are nice and quiet, I see no issues with it. In Northern Manitoba being 50 yards away from someone is still a heck of a lot farther way than you get from someone in some of the South hotspots. 

That being said I've had a group of party guys follow me out before and blaring tunes, and being jackasses, and it ruins the day, I asked one group one time "Why did you bother following me, you obviously aren't here to fish anyway"...."Dude, we saw you have an auger and we don't have one" was the reply....lmao. I couldn't be upset with them after that.

Edited by GCn20

We (my wife, cousin and I who all tend to fish together most often) try to find a balance between a social outing and grinding hard. My wife loves to cook and brings out the Coleman camp stove along with our single burner tank top cooker and does up fun meals on the tailgate. Sometimes during the day, we'll have some tunes going, but try to keep it quiet so as not to spook fish or bother anyone else in the neighbourhood. At the same time, we only fish for trophies, so we like to put in the grind and stay mobile as much as we can until we find a good school we can hunker down on...

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We (my wife, cousin and I who all tend to fish together most often) try to find a balance between a social outing and grinding hard. My wife loves to cook and brings out the Coleman camp stove along with our single burner tank top cooker and does up fun meals on the tailgate. Sometimes during the day, we'll have some tunes going, but try to keep it quiet so as not to spook fish or bother anyone else in the neighbourhood. At the same time, we only fish for trophies, so we like to put in the grind and stay mobile as much as we can until we find a good school we can hunker down on...

I hear ya. I've been out by myself grinding hard, and I've gone out to friends ice mansions and the lines barely get wet and it's a party. Both have their place. All I'm saying is if you are a big group out to give'er create some distance between yourself and the guy next to ya. I can't count the number of times I've hunkered down with a buddy in his ice shack for the night because there is no chance I can drive my snowmobile back. lol

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I can't count the number of times I've hunkered down with a buddy in his ice shack for the night because there is no chance I can drive my snowmobile back. lol

Lol.... we have a rule about shots per fish..... it's a long, complicated story, but generally it's more shots the better the fish. (Walleye count as +1 on the daily count, PIke -1, Bass +2 when applicable...etc....)  It's usually shots of Fireball, but woof..... we have to be careful with that if we have a drive home afterward.

11 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

How did we not start this thread 10 years ago?

Like all good fisher people - I assume y'all drink your whiskey neat out of a yeti?

we just got a couple in my office gift exchange this year!! They are fabulous.... my wife also has these rubber skins that slide over her beer cans and look like a Coca-Cola can once it's on. Important details! 

15 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Like all good fisher people - I assume y'all drink your whiskey neat out of a yeti?

Yetis are the king...but I'm a beer and fireball guy. Wife won't come within 5 feet of me the next day tho...lol.

No kidding...this is a long overdue thread. In the summer it will transition nicely into soft water fishing. I think business will pick up on it too when some other members find it. For cripes sakes tho....no football to talk about really and Manitoba ice fishing season on the go....how did this not happen before.

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

we just got a couple in my office gift exchange this year!! They are fabulous.... my wife also has these rubber skins that slide over her beer cans and look like a Coca-Cola can once it's on. Important details! 

Yes...in my area I don't have to be so stealth as the chances of seeing a CO are pretty slim....but still, stealth is key,

YARN | That's what I'd like to know about it | Seinfeld (1989) - S08E21 The  Muffin Tops | Video clips by quotes | 5f2a5d4e | 紗

Rambler 30 oz. for my Forty Creek with lots of ice and a splash of water. If not, it's Labatt Blue in the Colster. Fireball shots when we boat a gooder.

Backwoods always on hand, too.

love that everyone has the "shot of Fireball for a good fish" rule...... I honestly thought that was just us. Love it...

Packing the gear tonight and headed out tomorrow morning (3 hour drive to our favourite walleye lake - among the best in AB, anyhow) for a two day rip. Looking forward to our second overnighter and building upon the things we learned the first time around. I shall report back on Monday with the results....the search for a 30" "prairie gold" walter continues...

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

YARN | That's what I'd like to know about it | Seinfeld (1989) - S08E21 The  Muffin Tops | Video clips by quotes | 5f2a5d4e | 紗

Rambler 30 oz. for my Forty Creek with lots of ice and a splash of water. If not, it's Labatt Blue in the Colster. Fireball shots when we boat a gooder.

Backwoods always on hand, too.

Oooh....the 40 creek irish cream is an absolute go to for me. Early morning fishing or sitting on my dock in the summer, and in my thermos for whatever winter activity I am doing. Love it.

53 minutes ago, Noeller said:

love that everyone has the "shot of Fireball for a good fish" rule...... I honestly thought that was just us. Love it...

Packing the gear tonight and headed out tomorrow morning (3 hour drive to our favourite walleye lake - among the best in AB, anyhow) for a two day rip. Looking forward to our second overnighter and building upon the things we learned the first time around. I shall report back on Monday with the results....the search for a 30" "prairie gold" walter continues...

If you are waiting for a fish to bite before having a shot of fireball you are doing it wrong...lmao. I mean you can do that after, but we like some fireball when we get there, fireball when the holes are drilled, fireball when the tent is up. I am sure you can now see why i spend the vast majority of my ice fishing time 50 yards in front of my dock...lol. Reflective vest and crawl home....lmao.