The podcast thread

Arnold_Palmer

I didn’t see any thread related to podcasts so I apologize if there was one already made at some point but curious to see if anyone has any good recommendations for podcasts, or what kind of podcasts people here listen to. I have a lot of down time at work, so I usually have a podcast on while I plug through my work. One podcasted I’m really into right now is a neuroscientist named Andrew Huberman, he’s fantastic he puts a lot of effort and information into his podcasts and he’s someone I respect a lot. A few other podcasts I listen to is stuff you should know, Jordan Peterson, Mind Pump (fitness podcast), the mindset mentor, and I’m pretty into fantasy sports so the fantasy footballers is a great podcast when I’m looking for something light to listen to. 

The Ringer Podcast Network.......it's my go to. Founded by Bill Simmons ("The Boston Sports Guy", formerly of ESPN, HBO and Grantland), it has some of the best talk on just about any subject you can think of. In particular, check out "The Rewatchables", "The Big Picture", "The Watch", and "The Prestige TV Podcast"........

My regular listens are...

Ongoing History of New Music - I could listen to Alan Cross read the phonebook.  It's really a radio show but it's been a staple of my listening for 20 years. Podcasts just make it more convenient.

Stuff You Should Know - it's pretty light and fun.

Some baseball podcasts that no one is interested in - Stark, Rosenthal, Olney, and some others

Some soccer podcasts that no one is interested in.

History of Rome - Mike Duncan. I've started it for the third time. I've also listened to his Revolutions podcast but it never grabbed me the same way. Although, I did enjoy the French Revolution. 

Under The Influence - Terry O'Reilly. Fantastic look into the world of advertising. Also a CBC radio show but more convenient as a podcast. Was Age of Persuasion until they changed the name back in 2012. 

The Herle Burly - great show on politics. Although, I don't listen every week. 

There are a few more that are science related that I don't listen to frequently but on occasion.

And, a short series, which was AWESOME! 

It's called Wind of Change and here's the synopsis: 

It’s 1990. The Berlin Wall just fell. The Soviet Union is on the verge of collapse. And the soundtrack to the revolution is one of the best selling songs of all time, the metal ballad “Wind of Change,” by the Scorpions. Decades later, journalist Patrick Radden Keefe heard a rumor: the song wasn’t written by the Scorpions. It was written by the CIA. This is his journey to find the truth. Wind of Change is an Original Series from Pineapple Street Studios, Crooked Media and Spotify.

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The Ringer Podcast Network.......it's my go to. Founded by Bill Simmons ("The Boston Sports Guy", formerly of ESPN, HBO and Grantland), it has some of the best talk on just about any subject you can think of. In particular, check out "The Rewatchables", "The Big Picture", "The Watch", and "The Prestige TV Podcast"........

If his podcast is half as creative and entertaining as his writing was, I will need to check this one out. Any link?

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

My regular listens are...

Ongoing History of New Music - I could listen to Alan Cross read the phonebook.  It's really a radio show but it's been a staple of my listening for 20 years. Podcasts just make it more convenient.

Stuff You Should Know - it's pretty light and fun.

Some baseball podcasts that no one is interested in - Stark, Rosenthal, Olney, and some others

Some soccer podcasts that no one is interested in.

History of Rome - Mike Duncan. I've started it for the third time. I've also listened to his Revolutions podcast but it never grabbed me the same way. Although, I did enjoy the French Revolution. 

Under The Influence - Terry O'Reilly. Fantastic look into the world of advertising. Also a CBC radio show but more convenient as a podcast. Was Age of Persuasion until they changed the name back in 2012. 

The Herle Burly - great show on politics. Although, I don't listen every week. 

There are a few more that are science related that I don't listen to frequently but on occasion.

And, a short series, which was AWESOME! 

It's called Wind of Change and here's the synopsis: 

It’s 1990. The Berlin Wall just fell. The Soviet Union is on the verge of collapse. And the soundtrack to the revolution is one of the best selling songs of all time, the metal ballad “Wind of Change,” by the Scorpions. Decades later, journalist Patrick Radden Keefe heard a rumor: the song wasn’t written by the Scorpions. It was written by the CIA. This is his journey to find the truth. Wind of Change is an Original Series from Pineapple Street Studios, Crooked Media and Spotify.

Under the influence is another good one. It’s been awhile since I’ve listened, thanks for the reminder!

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If his podcast is half as creative and entertaining as his writing was, I will need to check this one out. Any link?

if you have Spotify (that's where I listen, and where they're "based out of"), just type in The Ringer, and stuff comes up. The best one they do is The Rewatchables (which is a group of knowledgeable people discussing movies that they love to rewatch over and over again) so if you go on Spotify and type in "The Rewatchables", it'll come up. I'm sure you can google "The Ringer Podcast Network" and a web version will show up. 

• 3 months later...

Some more...

StarTalk Radio - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Science, pop culture, and comedy collide on StarTalk Radio! Neil deGrasse Tyson, astrophysicist and Director of New York's Hayden Planetarium, and his comic co-hosts, guest celebrities, and scientific experts explore astronomy, physics, and everything else there is to know about life in the universe. New episodes premiere Tuesdays. Keep Looking Up!

This one is new and I'm just listening to the first episode but I enjoy the Tik Toks this creator does about music and musicians...

Good Measure with Patrick Hicks

Storyteller, historian, and music celebrator Patrick Hicks is bringing music history to life in podcast form. The best stories in music from every genre; fascinating, heartfelt, and inspirational tales about your most beloved artists and songs.