Reffing vs the riders

wbbfan

First, this is not a scapegoat for the bombers losing. Im a firm believer the refs do not win or lose games. Even if they get a key call wrong, you have 100 other chances to win the game. Not making one of them count is how you lose. Riders beat us, not the refs.

With that out of the way, the reffing in the riders game was atrocious. Holding calls have been a problem for a while. Mainly that you will see guys get mugged, and no calls will be made then randomly in the 4th quarter one team will start getting a bunch of holding calls. In this case I think we got more of the benefit from those in this game. But saw horrid no calls again through the main body of play.

Blind side blocking, and blocking to the back of an opponent. For some reason the refs just didnt call it. I saw Purifoy make 3 illegal blocks on our kick cover team in a row on rider returns. Pushing guys in the back as they pursue the returner causing them to miss tackle opportunities. Usually the refs are on point getting these calls this year. But two of the times a ref was looking right at the play and didnt throw the flag on clear illegal blocks. 

Saw targeting the head (twice of harris) on downed opponents not getting called, and too much after then whistle junk. 

The refing this year has taken a bigger step back then ive ever seen. Week to week, game to game, no matter what team you watch  play or cheer for the refs have been sickeningly poor. 

I think holding can be adjusted to make it easier on the refs and the game to call consistently. Some thing like have two tiers for the penalty, if its really bad then call the full penalty. If not, call a 5 yard penalty that is added onto what ever the out come of the play is. Maybe have it be a steeper penalty each time the team takes a holding call in the same drive. Either way, I hope the league looks long and hard at it in the off season. 

39 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I believe bad officiating can affect ticket sales.  

In the stands, fans always think the refs suck. I think it really hurts the TV product though. As you can clearly see stuff in replays etc. In one plays tsn crew were talking about fajardo escaping but you see jake thomas two hand pushed in the back before fajardo spins out. That looks awful and hurts the tv market, which is big money. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I believe bad officiating can affect ticket sales.  

I know what you mean.  If you go by the stadium before game time, you'll see bunches and bunches of people trying to find out which crew is reffing the game before they buy their tickets.  Oh wait... no, you don't because that doesn't happen.  Ever.

It's like wbbfan saying it hurts the tv market...... I believe the smarter fans see the bad officiating on television and then right there say " why would I want to go watch that bad officiating live "...... so WBBFanWest the fans don't need to go to the stadium to see which crew is working a game,  they have all ready formed their opinions right from the comfort of home. 

The two guys I hate to see out there are Kim Murphy (who did your game in Regina), His games are most times on the edge of chaos and Andre Proulx who just seems lost most of the time. My real problem is with the command center. Seems they hate to overturn a call. Forget watching the damn play in real time and just try to get it right for a change. 

31 minutes ago, T44 said:

The two guys I hate to see out there are Kim Murphy (who did your game in Regina), His games are most times on the edge of chaos and Andre Proulx who just seems lost most of the time. My real problem is with the command center. Seems they hate to overturn a call. Forget watching the damn play in real time and just try to get it right for a change. 

I think that sentiment is held by fans league wide. You see those guys reffing a game and just groan. 

On 2019-10-07 at 12:28 PM, NorthernSkunk said:

It's like wbbfan saying it hurts the tv market...... I believe the smarter fans see the bad officiating on television and then right there say " why would I want to go watch that bad officiating live "...... so WBBFanWest the fans don't need to go to the stadium to see which crew is working a game,  they have all ready formed their opinions right from the comfort of home. 

Its not even just a snap re action. After soo many poorly reffed games drawing power dips. For a huge amount of cfl patrons it becomes a question of NHL pre season, or clf games. And when the quality of cfl games is dropped due to bad refs, you make it easier and easier for more people to tune into pre season NHL, nba etc.