Week Of: Bombers @ Asshats

Noeller

11 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

So you think there was no chance to score a TD in that situation - easy to say after the fact.

Over 12 minutes left when Bighill was tackled at the Hamilton 30.

If he'd been sacked it would have been 2nd and long and Lapo probably would have called a draw play for minor yards and they'd have tried the field goal. 

The way the offense was going up until that point they weren't going to come back. Hamilton had taken care of the run game and when that happens Lapo has no answers. I also believe that Hamilton showed they were able to move the ball and score when they needed to so I would not have trusted the defense to hold either. 

That game was won and lost in the first half, the 2nd half was just playing out the string. For Hamilton it was not unlike many of the games the Bombers have played this year. Blow the doors off in the first half and coast home for the win. 

Just watched that play again...  Whitehead is wide open for a hitch - that looks like the play called

Streveler decides against it but by that time Desjarlais is already moving upfield to block for Whitehead - then Neufeld follows (sort of) - leaving Strev with no OL

Streveler tries to throw to Andrew Harris but he thinks he is blocking alongsideNeufeld

If Streveler remains calm and hits Whitehead, we're totally in that game - maybe Lapo is calling too many read-option plays instead of keeping things simple

Two rookies mistakes on that play - first Streveler and then Desjarlais...  Dave Ricthie was right... again

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If he'd been sacked it would have been 2nd and long and Lapo probably would have called a draw play for minor yards and they'd have tried the field goal. 

The way the offense was going up until that point they weren't going to come back. Hamilton had taken care of the run game and when that happens Lapo has no answers. I also believe that Hamilton showed they were able to move the ball and score when they needed to so I would not have trusted the defense to hold either. 

That game was won and lost in the first half, the 2nd half was just playing out the string. For Hamilton it was not unlike many of the games the Bombers have played this year. Blow the doors off in the first half and coast home for the win. 

In most games, I would be of the same school of thought.  But in this one, there were passes being completed very effectively in the intermediate range - throughout the game, not just in garbage time.  The receivers were open and the throws were crisp and on target (eg. 5 by Lawler in that range: 17 to 24 yards).  As bad as this game was, that was one of the positive aspects.  

21 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Just watched that play again...  Whitehead is wide open for a hitch - that looks like the play called

Streveler decides against it but by that time Desjarlais is already moving upfield to block for Whitehead - then Neufeld follows (sort of) - leaving Strev with no OL

Streveler tries to throw to Andrew Harris but he thinks he is blocking alongsideNeufeld

If Streveler remains calm and hits Whitehead, we're totally in that game - maybe Lapo is calling too many read-option plays instead of keeping things simple

Two rookies mistakes on that play - first Streveler and then Desjarlais...  Dave Ricthie was right... again

Game recap 5:05 - Whitehead open with blocking setting up.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/27/recap-hamilton-33-winnipeg-13/

14 hours ago, J5V said:

I don't understand why you're so negative about Streveler. Obviously if he is turning the ball over it's not good but a lot can go into a turnover such as poor route running by the receiver, bad hands on the receiver, poor Oline play, poor play calling, and plain old bad luck.

He'll never be Matt Nichols, they're very different types of players. Nichols is a pocket passer, very slow of foot, and somewhat fragile, very cautious with the ball and risk averse. He is somewhat reluctant to fire the ball into tight windows or to stretch the field vertically but he's very good at making the safe play.

Streveler is a much more mobile QB and is very intelligent, a stud of an athlete with a strong arm, good speed, and tremendous heart. He's not afraid to take chances and will challenge a D by firing the ball into tight windows. He is not a seasoned vet like Nichols and is somewhat more prone to making mistakes but he's learning. We're damned lucky to have him. The last time he played the Riders he pummeled them and had them off balance all game. Give the guy a break.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/09/07/streveler-is-a-man-on-a-mission/

Well...This first half performance is kinda what I'm saying. 

Hes a bit player at this point.