World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

17 minutes ago, Mark F said:

bullshyt.

You are quoting an out and out  bigot, " for rational discussion"

If it walks like a duck.... 

honestly, I prefer bigots who are open and honest about their position.

at least we know where they stand, without all the dancing around, and phoney "just want a discussion, please be nice" stuff.

back to my ignore list for you.

I didn't quote anyone.  I posted a link for discussion.  I don't know much about Viktor Urban just that he's modeled after Singapore leadership. I also think that Putin is a fascist dictator and that Russia is even more corrupt than Ukraine. 

55 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

You guys are incredible.  I did no such thing.  I simply posted an article link.  It would be nice if we could return to the days when people could calmly discuss issues rationally. 

Ok, cool. You start. I am sorry that I jumped the gun and thought you were supporting the good will of orban and trump. 

17 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I didn't quote anyone.  I posted a link for discussion.  I don't know much about Viktor Urban just that he's modeled after Singapore leadership. I also think that Putin is a fascist dictator and that Russia is even more corrupt than Ukraine. 

ok.

but

you should look into victor orban, if you want to discuss him. 

Edited by Mark F

12 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

You posted a link without context, were questioned about it and said that it was important to listen to views from around the world. You then proceeded to try to connect it that to the fight for "personal freedoms" in Canada. I think there are rightly criticisms for doing that.

11 minutes ago, WildPath said:

You posted a link without context, were questioned about it and said that it was important to listen to views from around the world. You then proceeded to try to connect it that to the fight for "personal freedoms" in Canada. I think there are rightly criticisms for doing that.

Yes it is important to listen to views from everywhere.  I stand by that. We can never challenge our thinking if we refuse to even hear an opposing views.  Like Christians who refuse to watch Bill Mahers documentary ect.  If you know you're right then what are we scared of.

Yes personal freedoms are important.  Taking them away is the first thing that facist dictators take away.  I'm assuming I'm the only person here who actually knows what it's like to live in a country led by a facist dictator? 

I do agree I should have versed myself with him before posting the link to provide context. 

I was a big fan on Bernie Sanders because he wasn't afraid to meet with dictators.  Certainly didn't make him a dictator in waiting. Its really a shame the democratic party subverted democracy to stack the deck against him twice. We could be in a much better position today had they not.  But the democratic party is simply too right wing to allow that. 

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

You guys are incredible.  I did no such thing.  I simply posted an article link.  It would be nice if we could return to the days when people could calmly discuss issues rationally. 

And this comment here is a pretty fine example of bad faith arguing.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Yes it is important to listen to views from everywhere.  I stand by that. We can never challenge our thinking if we refuse to even hear an opposing views. 

Yes personal freedoms are important.  Taking them away is the first thing that facist dictators take away.  I'm assuming I'm the only person here who actually knows what it's like to live in a country led by a facist dictator? 

Yikes on bikes.

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

And this comment here is a pretty fine example of bad faith arguing.

Yikes on bikes.

It seems to be a standard approach for some nowadays, because it works.

Post their 'wisdom' and/or share links that are absurd drivel (NOT informed opinions or views) on the world wide web  - receive appropriate responses (i.e., WTF) from sane well-intentioned people from all walks of life with diverse backgrounds, political and social opinions and views - then respond predictably with why all the hostility, calm down, I'm just a moderate seeking the truth, why can't we just have rational discussion s less the hate, wow I'm just trying to hear all sides, what an echo chamber we have going on here. Confirmation bias, open your world up sheep.

Mission accomplished, get a rise out of people they truly dislike.

Isn't this called passively aggressively gaslighting?

The 'beauty' of social media and how one way its being used.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Post their 'wisdom' and/or share links that are absurd drivel (NOT informed opinions or views) on the world wide web  - receive appropriate responses (i.e., WTF) from sane well-intentioned people from all walks of life with diverse backgrounds, political and social opinions and views - then respond predictably with why all the hostility, calm down, I'm just a moderate seeking the truth, why can't we just have rational discussion s less the hate, wow I'm just trying to hear all sides, what an echo chamber we have going on here. Confirmation bias, open your world up sheep.

Never said I was a moderate.  I'm left wing. 

Just curious if any of you think you are moderates.  Just curios if the "anyone I don't like is a facist dictator" crowd views themselves as moderates? 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Just curious if any of you think you are moderates.  Just curios if the "anyone I don't like is a facist dictator" crowd views themselves as moderates? 

I'm moderate to lefty... I don't like trump and I don't like orban... are they fascist dictators? the former is and the latter aspires to be. 

4 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Don't forget a healthy dose of "it is your fault for being offended" and pushing to reframe the argument of others in an attempt to label them as being ridiculous for questioning you. ie - you must think everyone who disagrees with you is a fascist if you have a problem with what I have said.

7 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Yes it is important to listen to views from everywhere.  I stand by that. We can never challenge our thinking if we refuse to even hear an opposing views.  Like Christians who refuse to watch Bill Mahers documentary ect.  If you know you're right then what are we scared of.

Yes personal freedoms are important.  Taking them away is the first thing that facist dictators take away.  I'm assuming I'm the only person here who actually knows what it's like to live in a country led by a fascist dictator? 

I do agree I should have versed myself with him before posting the link to provide context. 

You don't have to be a chicken to tell an egg is rotten. And there not always two sides to a debate- there are enough violent, extremist people out there who abuse their free speech position-Putin, Trump, Bolsonaro, Orban and so forth.  These need to be called out at every turn.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

You don't have to be a chicken to tell an egg is rotten. And there not always two sides to a debate- there are enough violent, extremist people out there who abuse their free speech position-Putin, Trump, Bolsonaro, Orban and so forth.  These need to be called out at every turn.

Yup for example there are things over time that Tracker and I have disagreed on sports non sports things, seen it from a different side but other times we both have recognized lunacy when we see it knowing the difference between a view and absurd drivel with a specific name bad intent.

10 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Part of looking at all sides is looking at the source.  Which is what makes you a fool if you actually believe the crap you're posting. More likely you are just following the bad faith playbook so many use.

9 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I was a big fan on Bernie Sanders because he wasn't afraid to meet with dictators.  Certainly didn't make him a dictator in waiting. Its really a shame the democratic party subverted democracy to stack the deck against him twice. We could be in a much better position today had they not.  But the democratic party is simply too right wing to allow that. 

Bernie is a good man and at one time I thought he could be a revolutionary. The way he fell In line after the DNC snubbed him twice made me re think that.

One of the few politicians I could proudly stand behind, though

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-hits-ukraine-homes-evacuates-kherson-warns-escalation-2022-10-24/

LONDON/KYIV, Oct 27 (Reuters) - A senior Russian government official raised the possibility that Moscow could shoot down commercial Western satellites being used to help Ukraine's war effort, as Russia pressed ahead with its bombing campaign against Ukrainian infrastructure.

If acted on, the threat would inevitably raise fears about spiralling escalation of the eight-month-old conflict and the risk of direct confrontation between Russia and the West.

https://www.iea.org/news/world-energy-outlook-2022-shows-the-global-energy-crisis-can-be-a-historic-turning-point-towards-a-cleaner-and-more-secure-future

Energy markets and policies have changed as a result of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, not just for the time being, but for decades to come,” said IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol. “Even with today’s policy settings, the energy world is shifting dramatically before our eyes. Government responses around the world promise to make this a historic and definitive turning point towards a cleaner, more affordable and more secure energy system.”

Russia has been by far the world’s largest exporter of fossil fuels, but its invasion of Ukraine is prompting a wholesale reorientation of global energy trade, leaving it with a much-diminished position. All Russia’s trade ties with Europe based on fossil fuels had ultimately been undercut in previous WEO scenarios by Europe’s net zero ambitions, but Russia’s ability to deliver at relatively low cost meant that it lost ground only gradually. Now the rupture has come with a speed that few imagined possible. Russian fossil fuel exports never return – in any of the scenarios in this year’s WEO – to the levels seen in 2021, with Russia’s reorientation to Asian markets particularly challenging in the case of natural gas. Russia’s share of internationally traded energy, which stood at close to 20% in 2021, falls to 13% in 2030 the Stated Policies Scenario, 

putin cost himself lot of roubles and kopecks.

Edited by Mark F

6 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Bullspit. That would be tantamount to a declaration of war, and there is good reason to believe that Russian technology is way too primitive to do that anyways. They apparently are reduced to buying computer chips from Alibaba for their drones and have even stolen traffic light cameras from Sweden for their circuit boards.

30 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Bullspit. That would be tantamount to a declaration of war, and there is good reason to believe that Russian technology is way too primitive to do that anyways. They apparently are reduced to buying computer chips from Alibaba for their drones and have even stolen traffic light cameras from Sweden for their circuit boards.

????

https://theweek.com/articles/445179/heres-last-time-russia-shot-down-passenger-plane

20 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Passenger aircraft are required to carry a transponder that transmits a continuous signal and can be used as a homing beacon. Shooting down a satellite is a whole lot harder.

My mistake.  For some reason I misread "satellites" as "airliners".

Edited by Wideleft