World Politics

wanna-b-fanboy

SAVING FOR A VERY RAINY DAY
by Eric Margolis

The really wealthy, vexed by tax collectors, pesky relatives, ex-wives and just plain thieves, long ago learned the wisdom of hiding their money and property. This is twice true for politicians.

An investigation by an international consortium of journalists just examined a massive leak of 11.9 million records of offshore financial firms that have been evading taxes and financial disclosure for their many clients. The result of what is known as The Pandora Papers has been a cascade of scandals.

This column has long maintained that the US has been deeply involved in massive international corruption. Chief tawdry examples are the largest recipients of US ‘aid,’ Israel, Afghanistan and Jordan. Washington spent over two trillion dollars on the now lost, 20-year Afghan conflict.

All that money has vanished. Among the largest recipients was the Afghan Communist Party and the drug mafias that made US-run Afghanistan the world’s largest producer of illegal heroin and morphine.

SAVING FOR A VERY RAINY DAY « Eric Margolis

23 minutes ago, JCon said:

Absolutely shocking and saddening news. 

There is a lot of evidence that there is polarizing of political beliefs to the point where violence is assumed to be acceptable. I would bet that the assailant is an anti-vaxxer but this all falls on Trump and his GOP supporters for legitimizing violence as a response to perceived grievances and an acceptable political expression.  Barring aggressive prosecutions, it seems inevitable that the targets of right-wing/neo-Nazis will start responding in kind, and this will provide police and Fox News an excuse to escalate their attacks.

Just now, Tracker said:

There is a lot of evidence that there is polarizing of political beliefs to the point where violence is assumed to be acceptable. I would bet that the assailant is an anti-vaxxer but this all falls on Trump and his GOP supporters for legitimizing violence as a response to perceived grievances and an acceptable political expression.  Barring aggressive prosecutions, it seems inevitable that the targets of right-wing/neo-Nazis will start responding in kind, and this will provide police and Fox News an excuse to escalate their attacks.

This is the second murder of an MP in the UK in the past 5 years in their constituency. I'm not sure what the root cause of this attack was. Certainly some form of extremism, either on the right or the left. 

We know that populism is a worldwide phenomenon. Brexit is/was populism. 

20 hours ago, JCon said:

This is the second murder of an MP in the UK in the past 5 years in their constituency. I'm not sure what the root cause of this attack was. Certainly some form of extremism, either on the right or the left. 

We know that populism is a worldwide phenomenon. Brexit is/was populism. 

Brexit was a really odd affair all around. Tony Blair initiated it believing it would fail but to get him elected. Then walked away when  it became serious. It seems like one of the least thought through major shifts in a country that I have ever seen. They jumped into a separation  referendum without any idea what to do if it succeeded. A classic example of   " careful what you ask for, you might get it "

Now one of the lingering effects could be that they could lose Scotland .The place that has all the oil ( although that has a limited lifespan ) I was there right before the last independence vote. What I noticed is that most of the independence people were 50 +.  Most young people wanted to stay in the UK .Their reason was often because they liked being part of a larger country ( UK ) and a part of a larger organisation  ( the EU ) . Their independence party is now promising a return to the EU. There is also the start of a movement that wants to unite Scotland, Wales and Ireland into some kind of a loose federation. 

It's quite a mess and all in the hands of a mini-Trump.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/us-watching-chinas-weapons-development-austin-says-after-hypersonic-missile-2021-10-18/

GENEVA, Oct 18 (Reuters) - Washington is concerned about hypersonic missile technology and its potential military applications by China and Russia, a U.S. arms control official said on Monday, after a media report that Beijing had tested a nuclear-capable hypersonic glide weapon.

Hypersonic weapons are usually defined as missiles that fly more than five times the speed of sound, and a race is under way for the next generation of long-range weapons that are harder to detect and intercept. read more

The Financial Times, quoting five people familiar with the matter, said at the weekend that China had tested a weapon in August that flew through space and circled the globe before cruising down towards a target which it missed.

The Chinese foreign ministry denied the report. It said it had carried out a routine test in July, but added: "It was not a missile, it was a space vehicle." read more